Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar Residence Permit/Family

Qatar Residence Permit/Family

Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

london_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura about
Default Qatar Residence Permit/Family

Hi,

My wife's passport is expiring in April 2013. If she gets a residence permit/visa on her current passport, will we have to get it restamped when she gets the new passport?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:26 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar Residence Permit/Family

Originally Posted by london_lad
Hi,

My wife's passport is expiring in April 2013. If she gets a residence permit/visa on her current passport, will we have to get it restamped when she gets the new passport?
Yes, the RP is physically stuck onto a passport page, so a new RP will be required for the new passport. The RP expiry date stays the same though.

Also helpful to know is that the RP in the expired passport is still valid until a new RP is issued, providing the corner of the RP page in the expired passport is not cut off by UK immigration. So carrying the expired and new passports lets you travel in and out of Qatar. I did this recently.

Best get the passport renewed to a 10-year one before getting the RP and entering Qatar. It's saves a lot of hassle.

[J]
Old Jun 27th 2012, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

london_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Yes, the RP is physically stuck onto a passport page, so a new RP will be required for the new passport. The RP expiry date stays the same though.

Also helpful to know is that the RP in the expired passport is still valid until a new RP is issued, providing the corner of the RP page in the expired passport is not cut off by UK immigration. So carrying the expired and new passports lets you travel in and out of Qatar. I did this recently.

Best get the passport renewed to a 10-year one before getting the RP and entering Qatar. It's saves a lot of hassle.

[J]

My wife is not British citizen yet, I checked her previous expired passports and her country/embassy doesnt cut the whole passport but only the first page. So the RP page would pretty much remain intact.

This is very helpful. We'll be working to get her UK passport soon anyway, but wanted to make sure of other options.

One more question - this is about Driving Liscence in Qatar. If someone only has a UK liscence on Automatic vehicles, is that liscence also convertible in Qatar?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:58 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_lad
My wife is not British citizen yet, I checked her previous expired passports and her country/embassy doesnt cut the whole passport but only the first page. So the RP page would pretty much remain intact.

This is very helpful. We'll be working to get her UK passport soon anyway, but wanted to make sure of other options.

One more question - this is about Driving Liscence in Qatar. If someone only has a UK liscence on Automatic vehicles, is that liscence also convertible in Qatar?
Yes, on the back of my Qatar licence, the 'Car' box is ticked and the 'Automatic' box is unticked. So I can drive any type of car, which is consistent with my UK licence. Most cars here are automatic, so that won't be an issue either.

If you are on a Visitor or Business Visa in Qatar, you can drive for a year on an International Driving Permit (available from a UK Post Office for a few quid). However, someone posted recently on here that starting the RP application process voids it and also voids your insurance.

[J]