Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Qatar really that bad??!!

Is Qatar really that bad??!!

Old Oct 20th 2009, 5:49 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
Posts: 277
leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold
Default Is Qatar really that bad??!!

Hi there

We are currently in Calgary, Canada but my husband is in the early stages of negotiations with Rasgas for a potential move to Qatar. We have always planned a move to the Middle East for a few yrs but are in no mad rush - this just happens to have come up. Looking back at a few other posts I do have some concerns about Qatar over other places - a lot of you really seem to hate it!!Is that mainly for the lack of social life or for other reasons too? I ask because we are REALLY boring - two young kids and no social life to speak of! Would that make Qatar (I assume Doha) more bearable for us!!!??

Just for further info, right now they are offering $6000 USD a month for living costs...Seems pretty good to me but what do I know??!

All advice/opinions gratefully recieved
Lisa
leepee is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:41 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Doha
Posts: 535
Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Qatar really that bad??!!

How you find a place is as much, if not more, about you than the place itself. So a question "What's Qatar/ Canada / Australia etc like?" is meaningless without being considered in conjunction with the expectations and interests in life of the people concerned.

I last lived in Qatar 10 years ago and had a great time back then, but things change.

Qatar would suit a young family who like the quiet life as much as anywhere else would. Whereas if you like the nightlife and upmarket restaurants then Dubai beats Doha every time.

One point - You assume you will be in Doha - Best to clarify this, as the Rasgas plant is up in Ras Laffan. If you are housed up there, it will be very different from being in Doha, and more limited in things to do.

If your husband is based in Doha, then that's OK.

However, if you want to live in Doha, and your husband has to commute to Ras Laffan each day, I recall this is about a 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive from Doha depending where you live, and in the winter months there are foggy days, which make the trip less than enjoyable.

So you need to find out the work location and the options for where to live as soon as possible.

Good Luck!
Bonny Boy is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:27 pm
  #3  
semarang
 
novita77's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: sand dune
Posts: 7,763
novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Qatar really that bad??!!

Originally Posted by leepee View Post
Hi there

We are currently in Calgary, Canada but my husband is in the early stages of negotiations with Rasgas for a potential move to Qatar. We have always planned a move to the Middle East for a few yrs but are in no mad rush - this just happens to have come up. Looking back at a few other posts I do have some concerns about Qatar over other places - a lot of you really seem to hate it!!Is that mainly for the lack of social life or for other reasons too? I ask because we are REALLY boring - two young kids and no social life to speak of! Would that make Qatar (I assume Doha) more bearable for us!!!??

Just for further info, right now they are offering $6000 USD a month for living costs...Seems pretty good to me but what do I know??!

All advice/opinions gratefully recieved
Lisa
leepee, try qatarliving.com
novita77 is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:26 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Alexa's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 2,675
Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Qatar really that bad??!!

Originally Posted by novita77 View Post
leepee, try qatarliving.com
lol
Novi..no more mercy on those poor Newbies then.....
Alexa is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2009, 4:26 pm
  #5  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 460
Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Qatar really that bad??!!

Qatar would suit a young family who like the quiet life as much as anywhere else would. Whereas if you like the nightlife and upmarket restaurants then Dubai beats Doha every time.

One point - You assume you will be in Doha - Best to clarify this, as the Rasgas plant is up in Ras Laffan. If you are housed up there, it will be very different from being in Doha, and more limited in things to do.

If your husband is based in Doha, then that's OK.

However, if you want to live in Doha, and your husband has to commute to Ras Laffan each day, I recall this is about a 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive from Doha depending where you live, and in the winter months there are foggy days, which make the trip less than enjoyable.

So you need to find out the work location and the options for where to live as soon as possible.

Good Luck![/QUOTE]

This is often said by people and it is often said that happy people will be happy anywhere. This is a kop out for me as I don't think many of us happy people would be happy living in Iraq or Somalia.

The place has everything to do with it and is indeed important depending on what you want from life.
Funky Monkey is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2009, 4:28 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 460
Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Qatar really that bad??!!

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy View Post
How you find a place is as much, if not more, about you than the place itself. So a question "What's Qatar/ Canada / Australia etc like?" is meaningless without being considered in conjunction with the expectations and interests in life of the people concerned.

I last lived in Qatar 10 years ago and had a great time back then, but things change.

Qatar would suit a young family who like the quiet life as much as anywhere else would. Whereas if you like the nightlife and upmarket restaurants then Dubai beats Doha every time.

One point - You assume you will be in Doha - Best to clarify this, as the Rasgas plant is up in Ras Laffan. If you are housed up there, it will be very different from being in Doha, and more limited in things to do.

If your husband is based in Doha, then that's OK.

However, if you want to live in Doha, and your husband has to commute to Ras Laffan each day, I recall this is about a 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive from Doha depending where you live, and in the winter months there are foggy days, which make the trip less than enjoyable.

So you need to find out the work location and the options for where to live as soon as possible.

Good Luck!
This is often said by people and it is often said that happy people will be happy anywhere. This is a kop out for me as I don't think many of us happy people would be happy living in Iraq or Somalia.

The place has everything to do with it and is indeed important depending on what you want from life.
Funky Monkey is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:56 am
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Doha
Posts: 29
nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is Qatar really that bad??!!

My family W+2 children(6+4) have been in Doha a year now and we all love it.
There is enough to do if you look and the social side is centered on parties at friends houses.
Doha is still a small city and feels it, we picnic a lot, visit the desert, play golf, shop, swim you get the idea.
It is not a place for singles particularly but for families I think its good.

PM me if you need any more advise.
nogoingback is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:27 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
Posts: 277
leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is Qatar really that bad??!!

Originally Posted by nogoingback View Post
My family W+2 children(6+4) have been in Doha a year now and we all love it.
There is enough to do if you look and the social side is centered on parties at friends houses.
Doha is still a small city and feels it, we picnic a lot, visit the desert, play golf, shop, swim you get the idea.
It is not a place for singles particularly but for families I think its good.

PM me if you need any more advise.
Thanks so much for that....My two boys are the same age!
We should know in a couple of months what is going on exactly....Thanks for the pm offer....Will be in touch
Hope you carry on enjoying life!!
Regards
Lisa
leepee is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.