British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Is Qatar really that bad??!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/qatar-really-bad-636700/)

leepee Oct 20th 2009 4:49 pm

Is Qatar really that bad??!!

Hi there

We are currently in Calgary, Canada but my husband is in the early stages of negotiations with Rasgas for a potential move to Qatar. We have always planned a move to the Middle East for a few yrs but are in no mad rush - this just happens to have come up. Looking back at a few other posts I do have some concerns about Qatar over other places - a lot of you really seem to hate it!!Is that mainly for the lack of social life or for other reasons too? I ask because we are REALLY boring - two young kids and no social life to speak of! Would that make Qatar (I assume Doha) more bearable for us!!!??

Just for further info, right now they are offering $6000 USD a month for living costs...Seems pretty good to me but what do I know??!

All advice/opinions gratefully recieved
Lisa

Bonny Boy Oct 21st 2009 5:41 am

Re: Is Qatar really that bad??!!

How you find a place is as much, if not more, about you than the place itself. So a question "What's Qatar/ Canada / Australia etc like?" is meaningless without being considered in conjunction with the expectations and interests in life of the people concerned.

I last lived in Qatar 10 years ago and had a great time back then, but things change.

Qatar would suit a young family who like the quiet life as much as anywhere else would. Whereas if you like the nightlife and upmarket restaurants then Dubai beats Doha every time.

One point - You assume you will be in Doha - Best to clarify this, as the Rasgas plant is up in Ras Laffan. If you are housed up there, it will be very different from being in Doha, and more limited in things to do.

If your husband is based in Doha, then that's OK.

However, if you want to live in Doha, and your husband has to commute to Ras Laffan each day, I recall this is about a 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive from Doha depending where you live, and in the winter months there are foggy days, which make the trip less than enjoyable.

So you need to find out the work location and the options for where to live as soon as possible.

Good Luck!

novita77 Oct 23rd 2009 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by leepee (Post 8031215)
Hi there

We are currently in Calgary, Canada but my husband is in the early stages of negotiations with Rasgas for a potential move to Qatar. We have always planned a move to the Middle East for a few yrs but are in no mad rush - this just happens to have come up. Looking back at a few other posts I do have some concerns about Qatar over other places - a lot of you really seem to hate it!!Is that mainly for the lack of social life or for other reasons too? I ask because we are REALLY boring - two young kids and no social life to speak of! Would that make Qatar (I assume Doha) more bearable for us!!!??

Just for further info, right now they are offering $6000 USD a month for living costs...Seems pretty good to me but what do I know??!

All advice/opinions gratefully recieved
Lisa

leepee, try qatarliving.com

Alexa Oct 24th 2009 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by novita77 (Post 8040144)
leepee, try qatarliving.com

lol
Novi..no more mercy on those poor Newbies then.....:rofl:

Funky Monkey Oct 26th 2009 3:26 pm

Qatar would suit a young family who like the quiet life as much as anywhere else would. Whereas if you like the nightlife and upmarket restaurants then Dubai beats Doha every time.

One point - You assume you will be in Doha - Best to clarify this, as the Rasgas plant is up in Ras Laffan. If you are housed up there, it will be very different from being in Doha, and more limited in things to do.

However, if you want to live in Doha, and your husband has to commute to Ras Laffan each day, I recall this is about a 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive from Doha depending where you live, and in the winter months there are foggy days, which make the trip less than enjoyable.

So you need to find out the work location and the options for where to live as soon as possible.

Good Luck![/QUOTE]

This is often said by people and it is often said that happy people will be happy anywhere. This is a kop out for me as I don't think many of us happy people would be happy living in Iraq or Somalia.

The place has everything to do with it and is indeed important depending on what you want from life.

Funky Monkey Oct 26th 2009 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 8032592)
How you find a place is as much, if not more, about you than the place itself. So a question "What's Qatar/ Canada / Australia etc like?" is meaningless without being considered in conjunction with the expectations and interests in life of the people concerned.

I last lived in Qatar 10 years ago and had a great time back then, but things change.

Good Luck!

This is often said by people and it is often said that happy people will be happy anywhere. This is a kop out for me as I don't think many of us happy people would be happy living in Iraq or Somalia.

The place has everything to do with it and is indeed important depending on what you want from life.

nogoingback Oct 29th 2009 10:56 am

My family W+2 children(6+4) have been in Doha a year now and we all love it.
There is enough to do if you look and the social side is centered on parties at friends houses.
Doha is still a small city and feels it, we picnic a lot, visit the desert, play golf, shop, swim you get the idea.
It is not a place for singles particularly but for families I think its good.

PM me if you need any more advise.

leepee Nov 1st 2009 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by nogoingback (Post 8054220)
My family W+2 children(6+4) have been in Doha a year now and we all love it.
There is enough to do if you look and the social side is centered on parties at friends houses.
Doha is still a small city and feels it, we picnic a lot, visit the desert, play golf, shop, swim you get the idea.
It is not a place for singles particularly but for families I think its good.

PM me if you need any more advise.

Thanks so much for that....My two boys are the same age!
We should know in a couple of months what is going on exactly....Thanks for the pm offer....Will be in touch
Hope you carry on enjoying life!!
Regards
Lisa