British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Qatar Pre School - Non residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/qatar-pre-school-non-residency-862963/)

Deleerious Aug 5th 2015 8:09 pm

Qatar Pre School - Non residency

Hi all,

My first post. I am coming out to Qatar next week with a work residency permit, my family moving out in October. We don't think we'll get a family permit (from what others have said) so my wife and son will do 'visa runs' to Dubai.

Our son is 3 and whilst he wouldn't start full school until he was 5 we would like to get him into some sort of pre - schooling. Full school wouldn't be available without residency we know but would pre - schooling / private schooling be an option for us?

Any advice or clubs for people in a similar situation would be gratefully received.

Russ_Sarah Aug 6th 2015 5:43 am

Re: Qatar Pre School - Non residency

my 3 yr old just spent a fantastic year at Starfish Lane Nursery here in Doha. I think they have 3 of them dotted around Doha. At first he was reluctant to go every day but the difference that nursery made over the year has been fantastic. Its not that cheap though and I was shocked that even though school fees are reimbursed by my employer, nursery fees are not. You are looking at approx. 3,800 QAR per month for the normal 5 day week. Also, kids here can not go to nursery after the age of 4, so get his name down in one of the schools for a pre kinder garden place asap.

PuRe Aug 6th 2015 2:28 pm

Why won't you get family RP? From what I read it's illegal for nurseries et al to take students. source: Facebook group - when, where and how in Doha

Deleerious Aug 7th 2015 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by PuRe (Post 11717808)
Why won't you get family RP? From what I read it's illegal for nurseries et al to take students. source: Facebook group - when, where and how in Doha

Maybe it's my employer being cautious but they have staff there who are struggling with getting family residency even though they are happily working and earning in Qatar. If we do, then all well and good, if we don't then I'm worried we'll be out there and our lad will be getting older with no real schooling.

He is good with his numbers and reading from his pre - school here so I am keen this is kept up, ideally in a pre school but if my wife has to home school him then so be it.

PuRe Aug 7th 2015 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Deleerious (Post 11718804)
Maybe it's my employer being cautious but they have staff there who are struggling with getting family residency even though they are happily working and earning in Qatar. If we do, then all well and good, if we don't then I'm worried we'll be out there and our lad will be getting older with no real schooling.

He is good with his numbers and reading from his pre - school here so I am keen this is kept up, ideally in a pre school but if my wife has to home school him then so be it.

I wish you well with this then, as it would be a shame.

Deleerious Aug 8th 2015 7:17 am

Originally Posted by PuRe (Post 11718807)
I wish you well with this then, as it would be a shame.

Thank you so much. It's a great opportunity for me and my family so we want to maximise our life out there. Not getting it would be a real pain for us but we're lucky he's only young and we're not looking to stay out there forever.

co durham boy Aug 8th 2015 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Deleerious (Post 11719088)
Thank you so much. It's a great opportunity for me and my family so we want to maximise our life out there. Not getting it would be a real pain for us but we're lucky he's only young and we're not looking to stay out there forever.

Remember it's you that will sponsor your wife and children , all you'll need is 6 months bank statements and a salary letter saying that you earn over the threshold so that you can apply for a spouse and childrens visa .

A bog standard PRO should be able to get you through this quite easily . My advice is to come by yourself get your time in and then bring your family when you have the correct documentation .

Too much aggro otherwise

EastWest Aug 8th 2015 7:31 am

As far as I know, RP is a must to get your child in pre school/nursery. Note also that school starts at age of 6 NOT 5 as in some countries.

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11719094)
all you'll need is 6 months bank statements and a salary letter saying that you earn over the threshold so that you can apply for a spouse and childrens visa .

This is not always the case, especially if you work with a big company like QP. 6 months bank statement is probably required from private companies employees.

co durham boy Aug 8th 2015 8:08 am

Originally Posted by EastWest (Post 11719097)
As far as I know, RP is a must to get your child in pre school/nursery. Note also that school starts at age of 6 NOT 5 as in some countries.

This is not always the case, especially if you work with a big company like QP. 6 months bank statement is probably required from private companies employees.

I agree but the standard call is 6months , sponsorship and Wasta are different , work on 6 months and aything else is a bonus especially in a place like this .

Deleerious Aug 9th 2015 8:22 pm

Thanks all so much