Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar people- Is this true?

Qatar people- Is this true?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Bromleyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar people- Is this true?

If buy a car using a bank loan, then I am not allowed to drive the car out of the country... ?!

initially I thought it was too daft to be true and then i remembered that Im in a country where I have to get an exit permit just to get MYSELF past border control, and then it sounded like the sort of law that they would probably have here..!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar people- Is this true?

Originally Posted by Bromleyboy
If buy a car using a bank loan, then I am not allowed to drive the car out of the country... ?!

initially I thought it was too daft to be true and then i remembered that Im in a country where I have to get an exit permit just to get MYSELF past border control, and then it sounded like the sort of law that they would probably have here..!
Where are you trying to take your car? You'll be faced with Draconian Saudi officiousness, and it is ultimately easier to fly to somewhere where a beer and bacon sandwich isn't haram...
Old Jul 17th 2013, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

There is nowhere to drive to. As far as i know this isn't true anyway but wait until britexpat comes on he might know.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:38 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about Qatar, but in UAE you can get a letter from the financier allowing temporary export.

I would have a word with your bank if you are committed to driving, but as others have said, just fly and hire a car when you get there - its so much easier
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Bromleyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking of driving from Doha to AD- a few guys at work have done it and said its not too bad and works out a lot cheaper for a family (5 of us). They own their cars outright but mentioned that the authorities can require paperwork proving full ownership to pass the border...
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
Not sure about Qatar, but in UAE you can get a letter from the financier allowing temporary export.

I would have a word with your bank if you are committed to driving, but as others have said, just fly and hire a car when you get there - its so much easier
Is this a new requirement? i've taken financed cars over the border without problem (not on export plates)
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:19 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bromleyboy
I'm thinking of driving from Doha to AD- a few guys at work have done it and said its not too bad and works out a lot cheaper for a family (5 of us). They own their cars outright but mentioned that the authorities can require paperwork proving full ownership to pass the border...
The bank have to agree to it and give you a letter. If you take a car loan the banks name is on the registration document as they own it. Easier way is take a personal loan.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

It is too much of a hassle----For the reason that KSA is involved...Just fly there...