Qatar or Oman?

Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Laura_Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Qatar or Oman?

Hi,

I was hoping you could please give me some advice and your own opinions to aid me in making this decision.

I've been offered 2 jobs, both in the capital cities of Qatar & Oman. I've done a bit of research, and it seems that the cost of rent in Qatar is very high at the moment. Although I want the experience of living in another, very different country and I will obviously be respectful to that society's traditions, here's what's important to me:
  • Internet with broadband so I can chat with family & friends
  • Sky or cable
  • Cinema's showing a lot of recent western films
  • Being able to have a reasonable lifestyle & able to save some money for when I return aswell (which is why the high rent crisis is putting me off Qatar a bit)
  • I will be moving over by myself, so I would like to be somewhere where it will be easy to make friends, and there will be things to do.

Any replies would be greatly received. I'm very excited!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Qatar or Oman?

I forgot to say, to give you an idea, the package is AED18,000 per month, & obv I have no family so a small apartment would be perfect.

Thank you. If anyone would like to e-mail me any info, please do feel free
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

OMAN
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:08 pm

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
OMAN
Laura-Jayne, Arbroath's response seems to be the consensus of opinion on here. Some would leave Dubai and move to Muscat in a shot given the chance. My boss has mentioned the possibility of me going there or staying in Dubai and I got exactly the same response on here..
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

yea i will revert with reasons soon. My outlaws spent 10 years there and loved it....gotta dash the noo..work calls
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thank you both for that I just got the feeling that was the consensus more for if you had a young family....
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:40 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

www.qatarliving.com

No idea if there is any similar forum about Oman.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

No contest whatsoever...OMAN by a mile. So much more varied scenery is the first reason that comes to mind. No offence intended to any Board Members but Qatar is as flat and boring as a certain European country I could mention, whereas Oman has so many pretty places to visit.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

is as flat and boring as a certain European country I could mention
but the hookers and hash are the best

allegedly
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura_Jayne
I forgot to say, to give you an idea, the package is AED18,000 per month, & obv I have no family so a small apartment would be perfect.

Thank you. If anyone would like to e-mail me any info, please do feel free
any benefits on top of this ? like housing allowance, medical insurance etc>?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:38 am
W10

Oman.

Muscat is beautiful, cultural, historic. It's not the most exciting place in the world, but it's still much better than Doha (which is quite possibly the dullest place I've ever been to)

Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Oman.

Muscat is beautiful, cultural, historic. It's not the most exciting place in the world, but it's still much better than Doha (which is quite possibly the dullest place I've ever been to)
Al Barsha is pretty dull too
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:45 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Al Barsha is pretty dull too
I heartily agree... The major problem is that, as dull as it is, the taxis have no idea where my villa is... Means I am either stuck or am traipsing up to MOE the next morning to find a taxi to take me to where I left my car the previous night!!!!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:47 am
W10

Come and live in happening Satwa, well until they knock it all down anyway

Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
any benefits on top of this ? like housing allowance, medical insurance etc>?
Thanks for everyone's responses!

Apparently the housing allowance is worked into that, and yes the company offers free medical insurance....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.