Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

QATAR - Not being paid?

QATAR - Not being paid?

Old May 1st 2020, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QATAR - Not being paid?

Write off Qatar and start again ?
Old May 2nd 2020, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meganp
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me!

I came home to the UK from Doha for Easter holidays and due to the current situation and airports closing to inbound flights obviously could not return to work as a teacher. They are refusing to pay us, but in the UK there is furlough in place to protect staff - I was wondering if there is anything similar to this I can get or are there any laws to protect me?
I am so stressed as a lot of people are as I can’t afford to live without any income and spent soo much money on documents and getting set up over there in January 😫😫

any help would be muchhhh appreciated!
Originally Posted by Scamp
No chance. Shouldn't have left the country. We've got staff stuck overseas and all are on unpaid leave because they left when they were advised not to travel.
Try and get back as quickly as possible, then at least you're in country and working remotely.
Originally Posted by csdf
Every teacher I know of who left for Easter Holidays has been stuck abroad. Our kid's school heavily warned teachers not to leave on holidays for exactly that reason. Of course some went anyway. And some caught coronavirus, for an extra bonus.
Yep. Not a chance of pay and absolutely nothing you can do about it. Should not have left the country. All of what happened, was telegraphed in advance - and so they may even be able to class you as an absconder if you press it. If you are intending to return to the Middle East at some point - take this as a lesson in the importance of the grapevine in the region. You need to be sure to cultivate Arab contacts who can understand the language and some of the cultural context as well, and not just be limited to other Western teachers.

With it being May, you need to be thinking about what you will do next year. If you want to go back, this is probably a good time to confirm with your principal that you intend to do so and will come back immediately when the borders open, if they haven't found a local hire to replace you. If your contract is up in June then tell them you would like to return when the borders re-open and ask about the possibility of that. What you have going in your favour is you are already known at the school and the border closure means they can't import anyone else to replace you at the moment, and bringing you back is the easy option even if they don't really want to because of all the time-consuming paperwork and hoop-jumping that has to occur with a new hire from out-of-country.

Good luck.

Last edited by carcajou; May 2nd 2020 at 1:09 am.
Old May 2nd 2020, 6:07 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for the misunderstanding - I left on the 10th march before the flight ban.
The writing was on the wall even by then. I was due to meet my family in Bahrain and then fly on to the UK on the 12th. In the few weeks leading up to that I was constantly checking things with the airline because originally Bahrain was going to be a problem for my wife.

By the end of February the were already no entry orders for people from many countries and that list was growing all the time.

I cancelled everything on the 5th of March a week before traveling, as it was obvious by that time that things were only going to escalate.

WHO declared a pandemic on the 11th. And it was obvious way before that.

If you left on the 10th.......
Old May 2nd 2020, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Megan,
I think you need to chalk it up to experience, UK Schools do have staffing issues at present you will be particularly appealing if your a pediatric first aider.
Old May 2nd 2020, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Meganp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Write off Qatar and start again ?
Originally Posted by carcajou
Yep. Not a chance of pay and absolutely nothing you can do about it. Should not have left the country. All of what happened, was telegraphed in advance - and so they may even be able to class you as an absconder if you press it. If you are intending to return to the Middle East at some point - take this as a lesson in the importance of the grapevine in the region. You need to be sure to cultivate Arab contacts who can understand the language and some of the cultural context as well, and not just be limited to other Western teachers.

With it being May, you need to be thinking about what you will do next year. If you want to go back, this is probably a good time to confirm with your principal that you intend to do so and will come back immediately when the borders open, if they haven't found a local hire to replace you. If your contract is up in June then tell them you would like to return when the borders re-open and ask about the possibility of that. What you have going in your favour is you are already known at the school and the border closure means they can't import anyone else to replace you at the moment, and bringing you back is the easy option even if they don't really want to because of all the time-consuming paperwork and hoop-jumping that has to occur with a new hire from out-of-country.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by HiHo
Megan,
I think you need to chalk it up to experience, UK Schools do have staffing issues at present you will be particularly appealing if your a pediatric first aider.
Definitely a hard lesson learned in terms on the international employment market and treatment of staff 🤦🏼‍♀️ Hindsight is a great thing!

I think I’ll see how things progress in the next couple of months and take things as they come - I guess it will be difficult to secure a new job also. Who knows!!
Old May 2nd 2020, 9:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Definitely a hard lesson learned in terms on the international employment market and treatment of staff 🤦🏼‍♀️ Hindsight is a great thing!

I think I’ll see how things progress in the next couple of months and take things as they come - I guess it will be difficult to secure a new job also. Who knows!!
Good lesson to learn, you're earning good money in the international market and the risk is it's not secure, protected or providing any safety nets.
Second lesson is to think about what your responsibility is towards your employer. This is a unique situation, yes, but stopping and thinking about the situation and if travelling is sensible etc.
I'd be super positive with employer and tell them you're desperately trying to get back in country.
Old May 2nd 2020, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Meganp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Good lesson to learn, you're earning good money in the international market and the risk is it's not secure, protected or providing any safety nets.
Second lesson is to think about what your responsibility is towards your employer. This is a unique situation, yes, but stopping and thinking about the situation and if travelling is sensible etc.
I'd be super positive with employer and tell them you're desperately trying to get back in country.
It’a pure naivety and poor judgement on my part! I’ve made it very clear to my employer about my intentions to return and willingness to work from home though. They’re not great at communication so I will just have to wait it out and see what generic email I get sent next. Thanks - I really appreciate your help. It’s a very unique situation for everyone around the world right now so difficult to gauge on my own.
Old May 2nd 2020, 10:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It’a pure naivety and poor judgement on my part! I’ve made it very clear to my employer about my intentions to return and willingness to work from home though. They’re not great at communication so I will just have to wait it out and see what generic email I get sent next. Thanks - I really appreciate your help. It’s a very unique situation for everyone around the world right now so difficult to gauge on my own.
Good work. Keep in contact with them, offer to still do some work whilst you're away and remind them you're trying to get back. Don't just deal with Admin / HR, but keep in touch with your line manager and update them.

Showing willing goes a long way, if they have to cut someone you'll be lower down the list as you're trying.

We all **** up at times and nobody knows what's happening next. There are lots of people stuck outside their country of work as it stands, we're about 13 people stuck elsewhere at the moment, all on unpaid leave. Some left at a touch and go time, others left the day before flights were banned. ALL left after the business explicitly asked people NOT to travel. That's why they're unpaid leave.

Keep positive, it'll work itself out.
Old May 2nd 2020, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Foolish to leave when you did. Hey-ho, we all make mistakes. Start again is my advice. Look to the new school year.
Old May 6th 2020, 4:54 pm
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

All schools are doing remote learning, so I don’t see how you can’t teach remotely via Zoom etc. It seems as though a few teachers are teaching very remotely from the UK or elsewhere at my son’s school.

Schools are still collecting full fees from parents as well in Qatar for the summer term.

one to watch is that your rent cheques are still being cashed in and bouncing a cheque in this region is a serious issue.