Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar - To be or not to be?

Qatar - To be or not to be?

Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Wilfy will become famous soon enoughWilfy will become famous soon enough
Question Qatar - To be or not to be?

Hi everyone, I am in the process of seeking employment and moving to Qatar subject to final interview, hopefully in the New Year. I have been offered the following (in word only) by a recruiting company via Teleport.com

£1k per week
Accomodation (type & location unknown)
Car
Medical card (does this include medical & dental, or just medical)

First of all, does this sound 1) a good offer, 2) a too good to be true offer or 3) a bad offer. What other benefits should I try to get.

If my utility bills are not included, how expensive is electric and any other utility bills, hopefully I won't be paying for heating!!!

Cost of food p/w:
Restaurants:
Gym membership:
Petrol:
Internet:

Do you NEED a telephone line or does everyone just use mobiles, if so, I was going to change/update my current tarriff with 3 in the UK anyway, would it be better waiting until I get over to Qatar and take out a new account with an ME provider and just keep a pay as you go for when I get back to blighty.

My intention would be do do as long a stint as I could, possibly seven years until I am 55, maybe longer (subject to wife and work) so I would like to get myself settled in the right place in order to create a good social network. My wife is not intending to come over to work just yet (only visits/holidays), but may be persuaded - she is a teacher at the moment but also has many years experience as a secretary. What would her work prospects be like with her experience.

Regards

Clive
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - To be or not to be?

Originally Posted by Wilfy
Hi everyone, I am in the process of seeking employment and moving to Qatar subject to final interview, hopefully in the New Year. I have been offered the following (in word only) by a recruiting company via Teleport.com

£1k per week
Accomodation (type & location unknown)
Car
Medical card (does this include medical & dental, or just medical)

First of all, does this sound 1) a good offer, 2) a too good to be true offer or 3) a bad offer. What other benefits should I try to get.

If my utility bills are not included, how expensive is electric and any other utility bills, hopefully I won't be paying for heating!!!

Cost of food p/w:
Restaurants:
Gym membership:
Petrol:
Internet:

Do you NEED a telephone line or does everyone just use mobiles, if so, I was going to change/update my current tarriff with 3 in the UK anyway, would it be better waiting until I get over to Qatar and take out a new account with an ME provider and just keep a pay as you go for when I get back to blighty.

My intention would be do do as long a stint as I could, possibly seven years until I am 55, maybe longer (subject to wife and work) so I would like to get myself settled in the right place in order to create a good social network. My wife is not intending to come over to work just yet (only visits/holidays), but may be persuaded - she is a teacher at the moment but also has many years experience as a secretary. What would her work prospects be like with her experience.

Regards

Clive
First of all what is your occupation ? This has a big impact on what drives the salary .

Your proposed salary works out as 24,000QAR which is ok but all depending on what you are .

Accom - You need to get this specified , is it found or is it an allowance , decent compound villas start around 10,000 QAR per month and apartments at around 8,000 QAR per month.

Car - Again get it specified - is it an allowance or is it company supplies - a small Nissan Sunny will cost you 1,500 QAR per month to rent.

Medical card - Most are basic medical cover , no dentistry unless you're working for a Governmental Dept or Oil & Gas company.

Petrol - Cheap as chips costs me no more than 90 QAR to fill up a Toyota Landcruiser.

Gym - Most Villas and apartments have decent Gyms and Pools but there is a mass of good sporting facilities and clubs to join at prices from 2,000 QAR TO 22,000 QAR per month , try www.timeoutdoha.com for details

Internet / Utilities - internet for a basic package will be aaround300 QAR and that will include a subscription to Qatars cable T.V network which includes Premiership Football , all games shown live.
Electricity will be around 300 - 600 QAR per month depending on the heat , it's currently 45 degrees so take it from there.

Entertainment - Varies from the utter shite to pretty good , Doha is not Las Vegas or Dubai it's a pretty boring one horse town but there's still lots to do . There's some decent restaurants and bars and a great Golf Course plus you can fly anywhere in the region cheaply from here for a decent long weekend . Groceries will cost you anywhere between 500 - 1000 QAR per week , yes it's expensive and quality is moderate , you'll pay a lot for shite basically.

Mobile phone - Qtel and Vodafone are the providers for mobile and landlines , post paid and prepaid lots of choice , plus you can use Skype legally here as well.

On the subject of your wife , Education is the big thing here in Qatar and if you come here you'll see why very quickly , basically the nation is pretty dumb . There's a host of college's , private education companies , ex-pat schools , Universities and training forms all springing up all over Doha , my wife currently works for one and there's jobs galore for experienced people.

All in all Qatar's is ok but you need the right deal to make it worth it , it isn't no holiday resort and seem pretty unfriendly at times and oppressive but if you're on the right shillings then happy days mate .

Hope that helps
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Qatar - To be or not to be?

Hello Co Durham Boy,

First off, weather is a bit different here in Consett to Qatar but then you would already have known that, where did you fly the nest from and how long ago?

Thanks for your response to my e-mail, you appear to know your stuff.

First of all what is your occupation ? This has a big impact on what drives the salary . CURRENTLY A POLICE OFFICER, WILL BE DOING SIMILAR WORK OVER THERE

Your proposed salary works out as 24,000QAR which is ok but all depending on what you are . HAVE I MADE A MIS-CALCULATION IN MY CURRENCY CONVERSATION BECAUSE I THOUGHT TODAYS RATE WAS 5.8 QAR TO THE £, WHICH WOULD MAKE MY SALARY AT ROUGHLY 5,800 QAR PER MONTH OR 69,600 QAR PER ANNUM WHERE AS YOU STATED 24,000 QAR. IS THIS AN ERROR ON YOUR BEHALF OR MINE.

Accom - You need to get this specified , is it found or is it an allowance , decent compound villas start around 10,000 QAR per month and apartments at around 8,000 QAR per month. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE AND MOST IMPORTANTLY WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THEM BOTH.

Car - Again get it specified - is it an allowance or is it company supplies - a small Nissan Sunny will cost you 1,500 QAR per month to rent. WIIL DO.

Medical card - Most are basic medical cover , no dentistry unless you're working for a Governmental Dept or Oil & Gas company. WHAT DOES THE BASIC MEDICAL COVER.

Petrol - Cheap as chips costs me no more than 90 QAR to fill up a Toyota Landcruiser. WORTH COMING OUT THERE JUST FOR THE PETROL.

Gym - Most Villas and apartments have decent Gyms and Pools but there is a mass of good sporting facilities and clubs to join at prices from 2,000 QAR TO 22,000 QAR per month , try www.timeoutdoha.com for details. THANKS

Internet / Utilities - internet for a basic package will be aaround300 QAR and that will include a subscription to Qatars cable T.V network which includes Premiership Football , all games shown live. HOPE SO, COME ON THE TOON!!!

Electricity will be around 300 - 600 QAR per month depending on the heat , it's currently 45 degrees so take it from there.

Entertainment - Varies from the utter shite to pretty good , Doha is not Las Vegas or Dubai it's a pretty boring one horse town but there's still lots to do . There's some decent restaurants and bars and a great Golf Course plus you can fly anywhere in the region cheaply from here for a decent long weekend . Groceries will cost you anywhere between 500 - 1000 QAR per week , yes it's expensive and quality is moderate , you'll pay a lot for shite basically. COMPARED WITH UK, HOW APART IS THE COST.

Mobile phone - Qtel and Vodafone are the providers for mobile and landlines , post paid and prepaid lots of choice , plus you can use Skype legally here as well. THANKS.

On the subject of your wife , Education is the big thing here in Qatar and if you come here you'll see why very quickly , basically the nation is pretty dumb . There's a host of college's , private education companies , ex-pat schools , Universities and training forms all springing up all over Doha , my wife currently works for one and there's jobs galore for experienced people. THANKS I WILL LET HER KNOW, OR MAYBE NOT.

All in all Qatar's is ok but you need the right deal to make it worth it , it isn't no holiday resort and seem pretty unfriendly at times and oppressive but if you're on the right shillings then happy days mate . THANKS CO. DURHAM BOY, MAY NEED TO PICK YOUR BRAINS AGAIN. IS THAT A WISE MOVE?

PS: ARE YOU A MAGGIE OR A MACKEM.

Regards

Clive
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by co durham boy
First of all what is your occupation ? This has a big impact on what drives the salary . CURRENTLY A POLICE OFFICER, WILL BE DOING SIMILAR WORK OUT THERE.

Your proposed salary works out as 24,000QAR which is ok but all depending on what you are . HAVE I MADE A MIS-CALCULATION IN MY CURRENCY CONVERSATION BECAUSE I THOUGHT TODAYS RATE WAS 5.8 QAR TO THE £, WHICH WOULD MAKE MY SALARY AT ROUGHLY 5,800 QAR PER MONTH OR 69,600 QAR PER ANNUM WHERE AS YOU STATED 24,000 QAR. IS THIS AN ERROR ON YOUR BEHALF OR MINE.

Accom - You need to get this specified , is it found or is it an allowance , decent compound villas start around 10,000 QAR per month and apartments at around 8,000 QAR per month. WHAT IS THE BEST OPTION

Car - Again get it specified - is it an allowance or is it company supplies - a small Nissan Sunny will cost you 1,500 QAR per month to rent. THANKS

Medical card - Most are basic medical cover , no dentistry unless you're working for a Governmental Dept or Oil & Gas company. WHAT DO YOU GET WITH BASIC COVER

Petrol - Cheap as chips costs me no more than 90 QAR to fill up a Toyota Landcruiser. WORTH MOVING THERE FOR THE FUEL ALONE

Gym - Most Villas and apartments have decent Gyms and Pools but there is a mass of good sporting facilities and clubs to join at prices from 2,000 QAR TO 22,000 QAR per month , try www.timeoutdoha.com for details THANKS

Internet / Utilities - internet for a basic package will be aaround300 QAR and that will include a subscription to Qatars cable T.V network which includes Premiership Football , all games shown live. THANKS, COME ON THE TOON!

Electricity will be around 300 - 600 QAR per month depending on the heat , it's currently 45 degrees so take it from there. COSTS MORE HERE AND WE ARE SWELTERING IN 22 DEGREES. ROCK AND ROLL.

Entertainment - Varies from the utter shite to pretty good , Doha is not Las Vegas or Dubai it's a pretty boring one horse town but there's still lots to do . There's some decent restaurants and bars and a great Golf Course plus you can fly anywhere in the region cheaply from here for a decent long weekend . Groceries will cost you anywhere between 500 - 1000 QAR per week , yes it's expensive and quality is moderate , you'll pay a lot for shite basically. BIT LIKE STANLEY THEN, IS IT.

Mobile phone - Qtel and Vodafone are the providers for mobile and landlines , post paid and prepaid lots of choice , plus you can use Skype legally here as well. THANKS

On the subject of your wife , Education is the big thing here in Qatar and if you come here you'll see why very quickly , basically the nation is pretty dumb . There's a host of college's , private education companies , ex-pat schools , Universities and training forms all springing up all over Doha , my wife currently works for one and there's jobs galore for experienced people. THANKS I WILL LET HER KNOW, OR MAYBE NOT.

All in all Qatar's is ok but you need the right deal to make it worth it , it isn't no holiday resort and seem pretty unfriendly at times and oppressive but if you're on the right shillings then happy days mate . CHEERS

Hope that helps
MORE THAN HELPFUL

Regards

Clive
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

OP said £1k p/w = approx QAR 25,000 p/m

I would doubt you are only being offered £1k per month (QAR 5,800 p/m)

I'm intrigued that you are going to be doing similar work in Qatar as a UK police officer in the UK. Please elaborate.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: Qatar - To be or not to be?

Originally Posted by Mogs
OP said £1k p/w = approx QAR 25,000 p/m

I would doubt you are only being offered £1k per month (QAR 5,800 p/m)

I'm intrigued that you are going to be doing similar work in Qatar as a UK police officer in the UK. Please elaborate.

Hello Mogs,

Thanks for your reply, I have now got my calculations correct.

Is 25,000 QAR a good monthly pay. With regards to my work, obviously I will not be acting as UK Police in Qatar but more security based work. Enough said or I will have to kill myself.............if the heat doesn't do it first.

Any advice/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I hope this gets to you okay, not appearing to have much success with these templates.

Regards

Clive
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Mogs,

Thanks for your reply, I have now got my calculations correct.

Is 25,000 QAR a good monthly pay. With regards to my work, obviously I will not be acting as UK Police in Qatar but more security based work. Enough said or I will have to kill myself.............if the heat doesn't do it first.

Any advice/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I hope this gets to you okay, not appearing to have much success with these templates.

Regards

Clive
If you're here initially on single status and you have good accomadation and the basics in the package than the Salary is fine .

There's f*** all to spend your money on mate...!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

S10ner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Clive,

I've been reading your Posts with interest. I am a teacher also, like your wife, and my husband is a serving UK police officer. We are trying to move to Qatar but seem to be having a little difficulty finding work for my husband.

Would you be feeling kind enough to point me in the direction of your future employer? You would be doing us a huge favor and we may get to have a conversation in Doha soon!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you (and for us)

Jodie.