Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar, money moving, howto without account?

Qatar, money moving, howto without account?

Old May 12th 2013, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Qatar, money moving, howto without account?

I've had some very useful responses to previous questions here and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on this.

I will arrive in Doha with some sort of visa but definitely not with RP in place. Whilst I know this might happen quickly I am fairly confident it will not, at least not within the first month.

How do I take the money I will be paid, likely in the form of a cheque drawn on a local bank, and get it to my family through one of my existing bank accounts either in UK or Thailand?

Thanks
Old May 12th 2013, 5:16 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar, money moving, howto without account?

difficult. try and set up an HSBC account where you are now, and then get them to open an account in Doha as well so that you can get the local cheque paid.

also note that it's close to if not illegal to work in Doha without an employment visa.....
Old May 12th 2013, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in Kuwait I used to get paid by cheque and then they would let me cash it at one of the local banks. Then take you big handful of readies and western union (or whatever) it into a bank account elsewhere.

Just tell them your visa is being processed.
Old May 12th 2013, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Qatar but in KSA Western Union is quite expensive. The more you send, the more it costs.
Old May 12th 2013, 8:01 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Western Union is expensive. QNB let you open a basic account that you can use to draw money and send home. Also find out which bank the company uses as they would probably do something to help
Old May 12th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
I've had some very useful responses to previous questions here and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on this.

I will arrive in Doha with some sort of visa but definitely not with RP in place. Whilst I know this might happen quickly I am fairly confident it will not, at least not within the first month.

How do I take the money I will be paid, likely in the form of a cheque drawn on a local bank, and get it to my family through one of my existing bank accounts either in UK or Thailand?

Thanks
Tell them to pay you cash . Cash is king here , it will be no big deal for them and less hassle for you .
Old May 12th 2013, 2:03 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

My Sponsor opened a Commercial Bank of Qatar savings account for me whilst I was on a Business Visa. No problems being paid into the account and then using a bank transfer to send cash home to the UK. You'll needed an IBAN number and Swift number for the UK account which was easy to get.
Old May 12th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

If you are paid by cheque then you can cash the cheque at your companies bank.

Why not simply ask your company to transfer part of your salary to your UK bank ?
Old May 12th 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks some good ideas here. Seems it might not be a complete black hole after all. I had thought about Western Union but I know it's expensive. Having the company do the transfer would probably be the preferable solution, they buy stuff from overseas and do TT payments all the time I think so should be no big deal (maybe!).

Cash probably is the solution for what I need in country, it's the international stuff that gets more awkward.

The savings account info is interesting. I know that here in Thailand a current account requires a work permit generally but a savings account can be opened without. Since savings accounts come with ATM cards and allow transfers they are often preferred. Hadn't thought that might apply elsewhere so I will look into it.

Thanks
Old May 13th 2013, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Thanks folks some good ideas here. Seems it might not be a complete black hole after all. I had thought about Western Union but I know it's expensive. Having the company do the transfer would probably be the preferable solution, they buy stuff from overseas and do TT payments all the time I think so should be no big deal (maybe!).

Cash probably is the solution for what I need in country, it's the international stuff that gets more awkward.

The savings account info is interesting. I know that here in Thailand a current account requires a work permit generally but a savings account can be opened without. Since savings accounts come with ATM cards and allow transfers they are often preferred. Hadn't thought that might apply elsewhere so I will look into it.

Thanks
Give it to me and I'll take it to Thailand for you
Old May 15th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Has anybody used the Moneycorp service? Is it a better option than WU?
Old May 15th 2013, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Has anybody used the Moneycorp service? Is it a better option than WU?
It is cheaper than Western Union, and no problems - so yes better option than Western Union
Old May 15th 2013, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

I opened a normal QNB curent account with just my passport and letter from my employer on a 6 month business visa. I couldn't get a credit card or loan but thats not what you're after anyway. It won't be a problem. I even got a chequebook which is useful for rent etc. Also if you open a first account you get a relationship manager and preferential rates on transfers worldwide. There are cheaper ways of sending money still but the less hassle factor makes it worth it in my book.
Old May 15th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Theseus
I opened a normal QNB curent account with just my passport and letter from my employer on a 6 month business visa. I couldn't get a credit card or loan but thats not what you're after anyway. It won't be a problem. I even got a chequebook which is useful for rent etc. Also if you open a first account you get a relationship manager and preferential rates on transfers worldwide. There are cheaper ways of sending money still but the less hassle factor makes it worth it in my book.
This is very useful information, a 6 month business visa, letter from your employer and passport was enough to get the job done, brilliant. Credit card and loans are completely irrelevant in my case, I want to get money out of the country, simple as that. There will always be a price I guess, nothing's for nothing.

Not sure about the relationship manager. If you knew anything about my relationships you'd soon realise a top line psycho analyst and some heavy duty therapy would not help.
Old May 15th 2013, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

This is very useful information, a 6 month business visa, letter from your employer and passport was enough to get the job done, brilliant. Credit card and loans are completely irrelevant in my case, I want to get money out of the country, simple as that. There will always be a price I guess, nothing's for nothing.

Not sure about the relationship manager. If you knew anything about my relationships you'd soon realise a top line psycho analyst and some heavy duty therapy would not help.