Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar Living Costs (what do you budget?)

Qatar Living Costs (what do you budget?)

Old May 13th 2019, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar Living Costs (what do you budget?)

Originally Posted by Standanista
That's another good point about Al Sadd. The place is that soulless that it will cost you a fortune in Uber trips to The Pearl, Katara and West Bay, to drink inflated-priced pints, just to keep sane. At least if you do slash your wrists you're not far from the hospital.
Err, am I missing something here? Soulless compared to.... West Bay? And the Pearl? Uh, ok. WB probably wins hands down as the most soulless place in Qatar. Half empty badly built and badly designed towers and half empty corporate chain hotels and same-same bars with overinflated pints and the most mediocre mall in Qatar. At least Sadd has a bit of personality. I can't believe I'm defending anything in Qatar but you're coming across as a bit weird. Blind, certainly. Especially as you didn't catch that Katara has no bars. I find it intriguing you defend Qatar but apparently it's if only you live in the most overpriced area and anywhere else, even a short 10 minute taxi ride, is awful. Got it.

Mildly curious, do you drink? Because the inflated priced pints are true regardless of where you live in Qatar. Most Westerners drink to stave off the boredom regardless of where they live, in a concrete bunker compound by Villagio or a posh flat on the Pearl or in a dull flat in Sadd. And there are bars near Sadd. Westin and Radisson Blu are right by Sadd and have popular venues.
Old May 13th 2019, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WITWIT
My plan is to find a nice compound to begin with so my wife & son adjust to the new life easily (budgeting ~15k). After 6-12 months we can reassess and move somewhere cheaper.

Also with a young child, crazy traffic, the heat, and not working, it'd be good for my wife to be somewhere with things to do nearby so she doesn't go mad being stuck at home.
You're locked in for a year. Just a FYI. There's a couple big compounds. Beverly Hills Al Rayyan is one. Mixture of apartments and villas. They have multiple pools and in-compound shops. It's not too far from WB either, or the big malls. But they're still isolated.

If you want a place where the wife can pop out easily on foot with the toddler and walk somewhere you're pretty much restricted to Pearl or West Bay. I'd probably go for Pearl if the commute isn't bad for you. But be aware that WB towers tend to be all inclusive of utilities while Pearl has expensive utilities on top of the rent, unless negotiated with the landlord.
Old May 13th 2019, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just back in Doha for a short 2 month (and a bit) contract. Not been out and about much, Ramadan but it all looks much like I left it at the end of 2017. The train is apparently running but I have not tried it yet. Will do just to see, I heard there are three classes, money, family, unwashed.
Prices are dropping like a stone it seems. Friends telling me that studios and 1 beds on the Pearl that were QR12k 2 years ago are going for QR7-8k now. Very few hirings. Rail is completing, Stadiums are completing, one of them has an event scheduled for May 16. Airport expansion and the second terminal is about the only thing going on and that's not exactly mega. There is a new military base being built over Dukhan way for all the new kit the air force bought and the usual road building but that seems to be it.
Once the next 2 years are out of the way what does Qatar have planned? They might be back fishing for pearls faster than imagined.
Old May 14th 2019, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Especially as you didn't catch that Katara has no bars.
Well, apart from all the bars in the Kempinski, St Regis and InterCon. I appreciate that you're off the pace.

Mildly curious, do you drink?
Of course I do, why do you think I posted half the shyte I did above. Do you? If you don't, I recommend that you take it up. It will cheer and lighten you up a bit.
Old May 14th 2019, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WITWIT
My plan is to find a nice compound to begin with so my wife & son adjust to the new life easily (budgeting ~15k). After 6-12 months we can reassess and move somewhere cheaper.
You do get compounds in Doha, no worries and some excellent, but they're more Dubai style than Saudi, i.e. good places for kids to grow up and ride around on their bikes with their mates, but no heavy security at the gate.

You don't need compound living necessarily in Qatar though. It's perfectly safe wherever you live. If you're looking to mix with other Westerners, the main area is the strip up the coast between West Bay and The Pearl. (Plus a few oddballs living out in Sadd.)
Old May 14th 2019, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinbkk
The train is apparently running but I have not tried it yet. Will do just to see, I heard there are three classes, money, family, unwashed.
Doha Metro Section 1 is up and running. It runs from Al Wakra to Al Qassar. Al Qassar is good for the family park and beach plus for the entertainment, restaurant and bar options in Katara. Doha Metro has 3 classes. Gold Club is QR 10 per trip. Family is QR 2, but obviously just for ladies and families. Standard class is also QR 2. Red Line will extend up to Lusail, to link with the Lusail Tram system, and to Hamad International Airport. There are also the Green and Gold Lines set to open before the World Cup.
Old May 17th 2019, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, apart from all the bars in the Kempinski, St Regis and InterCon. I appreciate that you're off the pace.

Of course I do, why do you think I posted half the shyte I did above. Do you? If you don't, I recommend that you take it up. It will cheer and lighten you up a bit.
None of these places are in Katara. This is Katara: Home

Which is very dry. I've never heard anyone refer to these hotels being in Katara. Kempinksi is in on the Pearl or West Bay depending which one you're referring to, which is definitely not Katara so it makes me wonder how well you actually know Qatar?

Old May 17th 2019, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

You do get compounds in Doha, no worries and some excellent, but they're more Dubai style than Saudi, i.e. good places for kids to grow up and ride around on their bikes with their mates, but no heavy security at the gate.

You don't need compound living necessarily in Qatar though. It's perfectly safe wherever you live. If you're looking to mix with other Westerners, the main area is the strip up the coast between West Bay and The Pearl. (Plus a few oddballs living out in Sadd.)
Most Western families are in the compounds in Waab and near Villagio or out westwards off the Doha Expressway like Beverly Hills Al Rayyan or down in Al Thumama. They live down there because most of the schools are down there. And I also knew plenty of older single westerners who lived in the compound housing, some because their employers placed them there. I don't think it's the same as anything in Dubai. The compounds tend to be a mix of villas and villa style apartments (looks like a villa but divided into apartments) and bigger as well with pools and facilities. They're isolated from each other and getting from one compound to the next one isn't easily done on foot. Nothing like Arabian Ranches or the Springs/Meadows in Dubai, which is built to a very different planning context. And the compounds are all surrounded by crap mediocre areas. There's nothing like living in Dubai's Jumeirah or Umm Suqueim in Qatar.

If my future included living in one of those compounds I'd shoot myself first. No, not really, but it's a depressing thought. But you're flat out wrong to imply that the only way to mix with other Westerners is to live in either Pearl or West Bay. They're all over the place. You meet people through social groups or workplaces, not because they live next door to you.

Old May 17th 2019, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Doha Metro Section 1 is up and running. It runs from Al Wakra to Al Qassar. Al Qassar is good for the family park and beach plus for the entertainment, restaurant and bar options in Katara. Doha Metro has 3 classes. Gold Club is QR 10 per trip. Family is QR 2, but obviously just for ladies and families. Standard class is also QR 2. Red Line will extend up to Lusail, to link with the Lusail Tram system, and to Hamad International Airport. There are also the Green and Gold Lines set to open before the World Cup.
I can imagine how much fun it is to push a pram from the metro station to Katara and then to the Intercon for a drink..... But just think of all those wonderful entertainment, restaurant and bar options!

You're sounding like a spoof of a tripadvisor review
Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

I can imagine how much fun it is to push a pram from the metro station to Katara and then to the Intercon for a drink..... But just think of all those wonderful entertainment, restaurant and bar options!

You're sounding like a spoof of a tripadvisor review
For those in the know, you get the golf cart from the car park lobby (or Al Qassar station) under the road, directly to the park. For a know-it-all, that's one thing you didn't know! I bet you're a right bag of laughs on a night out at the whist club.

Only a numpty would claim that the St Regis and InterCon are not in Katara. Where do you think the Belgian Beer Cafe is? Belgium?
Old Jul 9th 2019, 11:52 am
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

back to the original question

Rent - roundabout right, look at propertyfinder.qa, it’s in line with a lot of the compounds in Waab, and you may be able to haggle a little bit down. You could also spend more in West Bay lagoon
Groceries - excluding QDC spending, again ballpark but there is a wide margin of error here
Entertainment - perhaps a bit low, again with a toddler, you won’t go out much
Cars - 120k can get you a new Pajero rather than a used bigger SUV
Daycare - about right again for a nursery in Al Waab

The other question is also liquidity, as a general rule avoid borrowing money in the region, you need to keep a solid cash float going, medical claims, expenses can take time to be refunded.

Things you’ve missed.
QDC shopping -, prices have just come down today, but you can part with a lot there. I’d add between 500-1000 depending on how much and what you drink
Helper - A vexed topic on the going rate, but given the large volume of dust, you’d probably want help. Add 2-3,000 here
Travel - Flying out is expensive and trips to Australia are not that much more than trips to Europe, also for the long summer, figure on accomodation costs too
School - Kids get packed off to school aged 3, the daycare bill can grow rapidly depending on school
Utilities - For villas bill shock is common average is probably 2000 per month, winter is low, summer very high
Child Stuff - Kids are expensive, toys, prams, child seats all add up. Also improvements to your villa, such as safety gates, costs, dehumidifiers are also pricey. Once you’ve done all that, you may not want to move again
Medical - check the insurance policy carefully, there is a wide range depending on employer, some are very comprehensive, other less so

Based on this, add 5-10k depending on whether you are going to hire some help, and before considering travel.