QATAR JOB OFFER

Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

tscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default QATAR JOB OFFER

Have received a job offer was wondering what you guys think from your experience. Been offered 43000 qar (About £96k) this is inclusive of all allowances this is a middle managerial job for an oil and gas company.

Currently I'm earning in the region of £46,000 onshore and in the region of £77,000 offshore, my job is primarly offshore. Onshore is there for reference,since this job is onshore its worth comparing.

Given that education costs, house costs and other costs have to come out of that what does everyone think, good or bad?? Accept or decline???

Just really trying to understand if I would be better off or worse. I am married and have 2 children, one would have to goto school next year, the other is just a baby so no issue there. Wife would probably not be working out there, especially initially.

Would be looking to rent a 3 bedroom villa in compound for around 12000 per month, i believe is the cost.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 6:49 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QATAR JOB OFFER

I'd suggest your QR43k/m will work out nearer £86k/yr, at say an exchange rate of 6 QAR to the GBP.

Schooling will cost about £10k per year, whereas it's free and reasonable quality in Scotland. QR12k/m for a villa in Qatar is reasonable.

Not sure if your current earnings are subject to UK Tax and NI, but in Qatar they won't be as long as you work at least a full tax year here and limit your UK visits to 90 days.

Close call money wise, I'd say.

Career prospects will be a major factor. Qatar is booming and desperate for UK engineering expertise. I'd suggest in the long term it would be a very good move for you and the family.

[J]

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Oct 10th 2012 at 8:06 pm. Reason: Sorted the conversion units
Old Oct 10th 2012, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Yes figures are before tax and ni. I do think
That money wise it's a bit tight my estimate is
I might be able to save £2k a month possibly
Which is only the case if I'm offshore as it stands.

I realise it may be a good move for the family and career wise.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mate

Ive just accepted my offer and will be moving over to Doha in the next couple of months

Also from scotland and also working onshore but majority offshore

If possible i recommend you maybe ask for a little more

Im by no means a manager(only a supervisor for a service company)but my package is only 10k less than yours and thats me by myself. No kids education or anything else

What bumped my package up was the 30% adjustment they add to the salary due to the higher cost in Doha. I would imagine all oil companies use this sort of percentage

Good luck
Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

I wish I could go back and ask for more,
bearing in mind though that you are offshore
and this job is completely onshore.

Really considering saying that it has to be more
but since I asked for £100k including allowances
Don't know I I can suddenly ask for even more.
Seems to be the general consensus that I should be
Getting 10000qar more a year though
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Just go back and say you have done the sums and it does't work. No point in moving if you are not making a big uplift in cash. With the kids just about to start school it may not cost too much just now but will soon.

If they want you they will come back with better offer

I'm also from Scotland and due out for 9 months or so next week, before relocating in Dubai.