Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar exit visa question

Qatar exit visa question

Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

qatarsoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar exit visa question

Iam thinking about an offer I received for a job in Qatar, can someone please advise me about the exit visa in Qatar, my questions are:

First, is exit visa required to leave qatar?
If yes, then

1- is it ok to get multiple exit visas? How hard is it?
2- if I am not allowed to get multiple exit visas, can my wife get it(she is not going to be working in Qatar)
3- do I have to surrender my passport to my employer like in Saudi (never been there but heared about this practice).

Thanking you in advance for your advice
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:25 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar exit visa question

Originally Posted by qatarsoon
Iam thinking about an offer I received for a job in Qatar, can someone please advise me about the exit visa in Qatar, my questions are:

If yes, then

2- if I am not allowed to get multiple exit visas, can my wife get it(she is not going to be working in Qatar)
3- do I have to surrender my passport to my employer like in Saudi (never been there but heared about this practice).

1. Not hard at all, ask your employer when doing the visa.
2. You can both have it.
3. No.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Thank you v much

Another question, for people working with Qatari gov, is it common practice that they get bonuses? Or it's rare to happen?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:52 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you v much

Another question, for people working with Qatari gov, is it common practice that they get bonuses? Or it's rare to happen?

Never have and never will work for a Government Department. The general rule is don't count on any bonus.........
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:58 am
Just Joined

That's true, that's what I also said to the agent, Iam not going to count the bonus, it's most likely never happen.

Why do you think it's not a good idea to work for gov department there?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:10 am
Shark Fisherman

That's true, that's what I also said to the agent, Iam not going to count the bonus, it's most likely never happen.

Why do you think it's not a good idea to work for gov department there?
Endless red tape to get anything done, Working with people getting paid double what you do and working a quarter of the hours and a tenth of the effort. If a local wants your job and he has the right connections you will be out.

Good luck!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for the advice, take care
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

If yes, then

1. Ask about the multiple exit visa at contract negotiation stage , i have one but i do know of directors of companies who do not as it's not company policy , it costs 500 QAR per year but must be signed by your company

2. Your wife doesn't need any exit visa if she's sponsored by you , she can come and go as pleases .

3. It is illegal under the Qatar labour law to hold any employees passport , don't hand your passport over , only hand it over for immigration purposes .
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:22 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, you're entitled to a gratuity bonus under Qatar Labour Law, works out at 3 weeks pay if you complete your first year's service, then pro-rata after that. About 6% of your annual salary.

My last private sector employer paid it no problem at the end of my contract. My current Gov. Dept. employer pays it monthly as part of my salary.

You're entitled to it by law, so best to check how your prospective employer is going to pay it to you and get this written into your contract.

[J]
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by co durham boy
1. Ask about the multiple exit visa at contract negotiation stage , i have one but i do know of directors of companies who do not as it's not company policy , it costs 500 QAR per year but must be signed by your company

2. Your wife doesn't need any exit visa if she's sponsored by you , she can come and go as pleases .

3. It is illegal under the Qatar labour law to hold any employees passport , don't hand your passport over , only hand it over for immigration purposes .
Thank you all
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Thank you all

One more question
If I want to rent a unit or villa in Doha, does real estate agents ask for deposit in advance?, and if yes how much is it usually? Is it really something like 6 months? Because that will be a lot.

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:46 am
Shark Fisherman

One more question
If I want to rent a unit or villa in Doha, does real estate agents ask for deposit in advance?, and if yes how much is it usually? Is it really something like 6 months? Because that will be a lot.

Thanks
For the house one month for a deposit and a month upfront is the norm. The car is a month upfront if you have a crrdit card they take a copy to charge you for traffic violations.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
For the house one month for a deposit and a month upfront is the norm. The car is a month upfront if you have a crrdit card they take a copy to charge you for traffic violations.
is it the same for furnished units and serviced aprtments?

One month is very resonabile, it's common in the west anyway
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:54 am
Shark Fisherman

is it the same for furnished units and serviced aprtments?

One month is very resonabile, it's common in the west anyway
I sent that last reply from my bed this morning, Just realised you never mentioned cars........

Yes every place I have been in has charged the same deposit and rent up front. In fact I think one block of furnished apartments let you pay in arrears.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I sent that last reply from my bed this morning, Just realised you never mentioned cars........

Yes every place I have been in has charged the same deposit and rent up front. In fact I think one block of furnished apartments let you pay in arrears.
Thanks britexpat for taking the time to answer my questions.

Does anyone have any idea about salaries in Qatar for project directors (roads) for someone with 20 years experience(including accommodation allowance). Assuming that they will also provide travel tickets, health insurance, school cost for kids, paid holiday of 5 weeks a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.