Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar Energy indefinite vs definite contract.

Qatar Energy indefinite vs definite contract.

Old Jul 1st 2023, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

More80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar Energy indefinite vs definite contract.

I am offered a job with QE directly with no middle agency. They said they have set me on 3 year definite contract because my pay is higher than the job equity. They assured me that the position is in the company charter and It is a permenant position and no concern with renewal. It will be renewed on 3 years basis.

The conract is to lock down my salary for 3 years with no increases. Has anyone been through a similar 3 year contract? Do they renew them? Am I overthinking this?
Old Jul 4th 2023, 9:32 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar Energy indefinite vs definite contract.

Originally Posted by More80
I am offered a job with QE directly with no middle agency. They said they have set me on 3 year definite contract because my pay is higher than the job equity. They assured me that the position is in the company charter and It is a permenant position and no concern with renewal. It will be renewed on 3 years basis.

The conract is to lock down my salary for 3 years with no increases. Has anyone been through a similar 3 year contract? Do they renew them? Am I overthinking this?
You may not even last 3 years for a whole variety of reasons.

If you think the cash is good now then better to take that than think about what you might not be getting in 2 years time.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

More80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
You may not even last 3 years for a whole variety of reasons.

If you think the cash is good now then better to take that than think about what you might not be getting in 2 years time.
I am actually planning to be there for more than 3 years hence the question. I am just contemplating whether it is worth it to go through this whole change for me and the family for only 3 years.

If contracts are usually not renewed, it does matter how good the cash is, I would not consider moving for 3 years only.
Old Jul 9th 2023, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute

There are pro and cons for definite vs indefinite contract but the reality is the job security is always 0 regardless to the type of contract. Sometime the definite contract is better because it provides some job security for the length of the contract and in this case if they kick you for whatever reason they are obliged to pay you the salary of the entire period. On the other hand, if you are on indefinite contract they can easily kick you anytime, paying 2 months salary and give you a goodbye kiss. While the indefinite contract will get some pay rise annually, the definite will stay the same. I would take the 3 years contract if this is the company policy, or you can negotiate with them to extend the length.