Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar, Doha vs Abu Dhabi - please need advice

Qatar, Doha vs Abu Dhabi - please need advice

Old May 28th 2015, 10:04 am
Just Joined

TipuLeaka84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar, Doha vs Abu Dhabi - please need advice

Hi I am new to this forum, not sure if anyone had simillar problem previously or had simillar post.
-I got a job offer from Gov Hospital in Doha, got visa and even starting date in Sept. salary is about 19.5 k Qatari currency +furnished accomodation +annual flight back home (about 11000 Qatari riyal)+ 40 days Leave
-on other had got another job offer last week from other Gov hospital from Al-Ain, AD. salary is about 25.5 k AED +furnished accomodation+ 30 days leave, no flight expense

I am really confused where would be best place to live to consider lifestyle, child accomodation as well as saving. I have two young kids one is 6, just started school and another one is 1 y. AD job is very early stage, but Doha job already got joining date, do not miss Doha job either by waiting AD job and in case loose that one.

Please could you reply this post if someone have practical experience living both countries/any of these country, school expences, as well as life style. I am not huge party person, non smoker/drinker, so I dont mind if bar/club is not available.
Old May 28th 2015, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar, Doha vs Abu Dhabi - please need advice

From the info given by you Doha would probably suite you better.
Old May 28th 2015, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks,
Do you have any idea about expenses difference between both countries, and child edu cost. AD salary is about 6K higher than Doha salary, but 10days less annual leave. I don't mind the leave difference. Just worried from some people review that Doha is much much expensive than AD and school place are tough to get. But on other hand do not want to miss Doha options in case AD job took forever. (already resign from work in UK)
Old May 31st 2015, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I cannot comment on Doha. A few thoughts for Abu Dhabi... Al Ain (which is 1 1/2 hours drive from Abu Dhabi city, a bit less to Dubai) is a very quiet place - some people like that, many find it dull. There is very little to do there - and I am not talking about partying, I am talking about doing anything remotely cultural. We have friends there, and they spend a lot of time travelling to Dubai or Abu Dhabi to see/do stuff and keep sane. It is a lot closer to Oman, which is great, but you won't feel like spending every weekend in Oman. Cost of living in Al Ain is less than Abu Dhabi, primarily rents are a lot lower - but if they will provide accommodation then you won't benefit from that. I think schools are easier to get in to.

Also, be aware that those 30 days leave in the UAE will probably include weekends taken during the leave period (not the first and last, if those are when you start leave - but any in the middle [eg 2 full calendar weeks = 5 + 2 + 5 = 12 days, not 10]) - that is how most Govt and many local organisations work it out.

Do either offers including a schooling allowance?
Old May 31st 2015, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks Thread, Really appreciate. Annual leave are 30 working days in Al-ain, doha 40 working days plus 10 days during Eid. I have few friend in Oman and Abu Dhabi but only one friend in qatar. School fees are included with salary. Do you think we will be able to manage school fees as well as enjoy life there within this package? Any information is highly appreciate.
Old May 31st 2015, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

It might be true that Abu Dhabi is not fun, but it is closer to Oman, Sharjah and Dubai. Doha is in the middle of nowhere and also in Doha cultural life does not offer much
Old May 31st 2015, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

On the other hand, a "maybe" AD Govt hospital job in the future is a bit of a risk. There are a lot of AD Govt contracts being frozen, recruitment on-hold etc.

The advice I always give people is to try to avoid resigning from a UK job until you have passed security clearance here. I appreciate it that you might have a long notice period, and maybe that's not possible, but it is risky to resign beforehand. I'd be very nervous about a possible job in the UAE at the moment - for that reason only, I'd keep moving on the Doha job if the finances/schooling etc are OK (I cannot comment on that). If the AD job moves faster than usual (and don't forget Ramadan is about to begin, which will s...l....o....w... everything down) then you might be able to reconsider.
Old May 31st 2015, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes of course...if the job in Doha is secure, take it, if your main interest is to move in this area. I am in Doha and at the end we manage well. Beware: finding a place at school is difficult!
Old May 31st 2015, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks both of you. primularossa - do you have idea about primary school fees in Doha and good school with reasonable fees, I already contacted couple of school, most of the school doesn't have place. Also overwhelming info on internet, difficult to say which one is good. Thanks for advice, I also think doha job would be more secured to consider AD job.
Old May 31st 2015, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Last year we applied to something like 10 schools, paying the assessment fee for all of them, before finding a place.
The choice of the school is conditioned on where you will be living.
I tell you for sure that the Finnish School has places. It is a good school. Also Cardiff international School has places.
Come and for the first year accept what you find, then you will change. We all did this.
About the fees: variable. We pay about 25,000 QAR/year but the fees should be payed as benefit from your employer.
Old May 31st 2015, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by primularossa
We pay about 25,000 QAR/year .
Are you sure? which school your kid go to? I pay something around 60k QAR per child per year.
Old May 31st 2015, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I would take Al Ain.
Old May 31st 2015, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Tonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Good dilemma to have
Old May 31st 2015, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I would take Al Ain.
Millhouse- could you pls tell the reason why you going to choose Al Ain, any practical experience or rationale?
Old Jun 1st 2015, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TipuLeaka84
Millhouse- could you pls tell the reason why you going to choose Al Ain, any practical experience or rationale?
Al Ain is a nice place. It is dull and not exactly exciting but life is full of routine five days a week anyway. The other two days you can visit dubai, abu dhabi, or explore oman from there. Doha, is just shit - make sure you get a multiple exit stamp.

I think the combination of a lower cost of living, higher salary and generally better life balance that Al Ain can offer exceeds Doha. Of course, that is my opinion.

Anyway, from what you describe you don't really have a choice. You have one offer, and a maybe under consideration. Take Doha, if AD comes up sooner in the process, take AD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.