Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar _ A few questions _ please help

Qatar _ A few questions _ please help

Old May 27th 2013, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Kamaki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar _ A few questions _ please help

Can I first of all say many thanks to all on here who contribute and take time to help others? What a fantastic source of information this place is.

I came across this site as I have been offered a decent Job offer in Qatar Doha and having tried to do my homework searching through this great forum, I still have few questions, which I hope do not annoy many of you. Apologies if you have answered them before.

• The offer is 1.6 of what I earn here in the UK and having read this forum, I found out that 1.5 is what I should expect so no issues with this one.
• Accommodation:
I will be working between the office near the Airport and the Site in Ras Laffan. My wife and I (no kids) like the looks of the pearl and my employer is willing to cover the costs (Up to a 2 bedded Apt.). My wife will not be working initially and very nervous about other locations.
Is it mad based on what I read here to live on the Pearl considering my work locations? If not the ideal location, where is, having in mind that my wife will not be driving or working initially and not very confident in strange places. We lived in Dubai Marina for a few months a few years ago and she enjoyed that but after a few initial shaky moments!!
How realistic is it to work in Doha and do weekend in Dubai?
The cheapest flights I found Doha to Dubai is around QAR 700, is there any other way to save on this if we are doing weekly or bi-weekly flights?

It looks like we have to stay in a Hotel for 4 to 6 weeks, any recommendations for a hotel?

• Transportation
I have been offered a car provided by the employer or an allowance that seem to be good enough to lease a decent car.
What is the best option, take the company provided car, lease a car or take the allowance and buy our own? Is it worth bringing my own car along, especially if the employer is paying for mobilisation costs?
How much can I expect to pay for a new middle of the road 4x4?
• Mobilisation
As well as the flights, what reasonable mobilisation expenses I should expect / negotiate. This is our first long assignment; we previously spent a few weeks in different countries but not years.
• Visa
Reading through this forum, a multi exit visa is recommended as we intend to travel to UAE to spend time with friends and family.
How do we obtain this type of Visa and the Ecard you guys talk about. My new employer (a US Company) assures me that they have no issues or requirement for me to get any permissions and I should speak to HR about my exact requirements.
Can someone points me in the right direction / exact requirements that would give us freedom of movement?
• UK Taxation
We are obviously doing this to take advantage of the tax free status. If we come over August / September, can we still claim the rest of this tax year as none residence? What is the best way to deal with the taxation issues?
• End of Service Award
What is the rules in Qatar with regard to this? Is it three or 4 weeks for every year?

Some final general questions:

How long is the journey from Doha (near the airport or Pearl) to Ras Laffan?

Any recommendation for a bank? Is it worth it opening a ££ account?

What about Internet and Phones, any advice?

And Finally:

Is one of you nice people prepared to show us around for a couple of hours in exchange for a few beers and a bite to eat?

Apologies again for the long post.
Old May 27th 2013, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar _ A few questions _ please help

Originally Posted by Kamaki
Can I first of all say many thanks to all on here who contribute and take time to help others? What a fantastic source of information this place is.

I came across this site as I have been offered a decent Job offer in Qatar Doha and having tried to do my homework searching through this great forum, I still have few questions, which I hope do not annoy many of you. Apologies if you have answered them before.

• The offer is 1.6 of what I earn here in the UK and having read this forum, I found out that 1.5 is what I should expect so no issues with this one.
• Accommodation:
I will be working between the office near the Airport and the Site in Ras Laffan. My wife and I (no kids) like the looks of the pearl and my employer is willing to cover the costs (Up to a 2 bedded Apt.). My wife will not be working initially and very nervous about other locations.
Is it mad based on what I read here to live on the Pearl considering my work locations? If not the ideal location, where is, having in mind that my wife will not be driving or working initially and not very confident in strange places. We lived in Dubai Marina for a few months a few years ago and she enjoyed that but after a few initial shaky moments!!Get a villa , you'll get a good obne for the price of a shoe box apartment and to be honest The Pearl is crapHow realistic is it to work in Doha and do weekend in Dubai?You will have too many visa complications wit residence
The cheapest flights I found Doha to Dubai is around QAR 700, is there any other way to save on this if we are doing weekly or bi-weekly flights? As above , just come and make te best out of Qatar
It looks like we have to stay in a Hotel for 4 to 6 weeks, any recommendations for a hotel? Oryx Rotana or The Crown Plaza / both near the airport.

• Transportation
I have been offered a car provided by the employer or an allowance that seem to be good enough to lease a decent car.
What is the best option, take the company provided car, lease a car or take the allowance and buy our own? Is it worth bringing my own car along especially if the employer is paying for mobilisation costs?Lease at first until your happy then buy.
How much can I expect to pay for a new middle of the road 4x4? 75,000 plus
• Mobilisation
As well as the flights, what reasonable mobilisation expenses I should expect / negotiate. This is our first long assignment; we previously spent a few weeks in different countries but not years.Not sure of shipping costs from UK but i think you'd be looking at 2 grand plus / bin that and buy from Ikea then skip it when you leave.• Visa
Reading through this forum, a multi exit visa is recommended as we intend to travel to UAE to spend time with friends and family.
How do we obtain this type of Visa and the Ecard you guys talk about. My new employer (a US Company) assures me that they have no issues or requirement for me to get any permissions and I should speak to HR about my exact requirements.
Can someone points me in the right direction / exact requirements that would give us freedom of movement?Ask for a Qatari multi exit permit for yourself , your wife will not need one as she will be sponsored by yourself.• UK Taxation
We are obviously doing this to take advantage of the tax free status. If we come over August / September, can we still claim the rest of this tax year as none residence? What is the best way to deal with the taxation issues?
• End of Service Award
What is the rules in Qatar with regard to this? Is it three or 4 weeks for every year? 21 days pay for every year of service over 1 year
Some final general questions:

How long is the journey from Doha (near the airport or Pearl) to Ras Laffan?1 hour approx
Any recommendation for a bank? Is it worth it opening a ££ account?They're all shit it doesnt matter really

What about Internet and Phones, any advice? Vodafone or Oroodoo available here / mobile / interent no issuesAnd Finally:

Is one of you nice people prepared to show us around for a couple of hours in exchange for a few beers and a bite to eat? I prefer Krug and the Four Seasons but im sure we can negotiate
Apologies again for the long post.

Doha's not Dubai but it's not Saudi either , you've been in the Gulf before so you should piss it . Don't expect Dubai Marina style lifestyle as you'll be a tad unhappy with what you've got .

Good luck

Last edited by co durham boy; May 27th 2013 at 1:31 pm.
Old May 27th 2013, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Doha's not Dubai but it's not Saudi either
That was the advice I was given 31 years ago (where the hell did time go?!) and if you're prepared to accept that Qatar can occassionally chuck a spanner in the works, seemingly just for fun, then you'll get by, possibly even thrive.
Good luck.
Old May 27th 2013, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Co Durham Boy deserves his beer just for reading through and a couple more for the response.

I commute daily from the Pearl to the airport, no problem providing you do it before the school traffic hits the roads at 6.30 am
Old May 27th 2013, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

I can get from the pearl to HMC in 25 mins at 5:30pm if that helps
Old May 27th 2013, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

Oh and I we love living on the pearl as we can walk out of our door and not be on a main road and can happily wander round the marina and grab a bite to eat and coffee. Yes it's dry but so is the whole country apart from the hotels and your own homes.
Old May 28th 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Doha's not Dubai but it's not Saudi either , you've been in the Gulf before so you should piss it . Don't expect Dubai Marina style lifestyle as you'll be a tad unhappy with what you've got .

Good luck
Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
Old May 28th 2013, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Crewegirl
Oh and I we love living on the pearl as we can walk out of our door and not be on a main road and can happily wander round the marina and grab a bite to eat and coffee. Yes it's dry but so is the whole country apart from the hotels and your own homes.
Yes, it does help, many thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old May 28th 2013, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Co Durham Boy deserves his beer just for reading through and a couple more for the response.
Agreed

I commute daily from the Pearl to the airport, no problem providing you do it before the school traffic hits the roads at 6.30 am
Cheers. Any Idea on timing to Ras Laffan Industrial?
Old May 28th 2013, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future

It's buried in CDB's long response to your OP, and he's right. If you have a lead foot you'll be there in one hour from the north side of Doha. Hour and a half from the city centre. Two from Industrial Area.

Given that once out of the city centre, the expressways are pretty rapid, it is very do-able. I've met someone already who does the commute. In fairness, there's very little to do in Ras Laffan at all, except work. May as well settle in the city. As in, the only city.

Although actually, Al Khor might be a happy medium, if you'd like a sleepy seaside town within easy reach of the city. (Please note it is VERY sleepy.)
Old May 28th 2013, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boyfrombangor
It's buried in CDB's long response to your OP, and he's right. If you have a lead foot you'll be there in one hour from the north side of Doha. Hour and a half from the city centre. Two from Industrial Area.

Given that once out of the city centre, the expressways are pretty rapid, it is very do-able. I've met someone already who does the commute. In fairness, there's very little to do in Ras Laffan at all, except work. May as well settle in the city. As in, the only city.

Although actually, Al Khor might be a happy medium, if you'd like a sleepy seaside town within easy reach of the city. (Please note it is VERY sleepy.)
At the last count, unless there has been a major change, Al Khor is dry. You can dog-leg it from the pointy Sheraton to the North road, but be it on your own head.
Old May 28th 2013, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by boyfrombangor

thanks

Originally Posted by OleJanx
At the last count, unless there has been a major change, Al Khor is dry. You can dog-leg it from the pointy Sheraton to the North road, but be it on your own head.
Cheers
Old May 29th 2013, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

I used to meet the Coach at 5:30 am (near West bay area) and be at Ras Laffan security gate by 6:40 and then another 20 mins through the RF site.

It's mostly dual carriageway and there wasn't much traffic (4 years ago) so won't be too bad in a car.

There is nowhere worth staying near by so the Pearl or West bay would be your best choice.
Old May 29th 2013, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

mrblast is an unknown quantity at this point

The Pearl is fantastic by the way, I've considered moving to a villa but most that I've seen are pretty shoddy unless you're prepared to pay a fortune.

Also consider the apartments at St Regis.
Old May 29th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

You will have to write off the months until April 2014, then the clock will start ticking on you being non-resident. In other words you will need to be here about 18 months to get to the 1 year tax free.

The Pearl, looks lovely but would not want to live in an over priced box. How many more places have closed down recently?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.