British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/qatar-811038/)

Adventuregirl Oct 2nd 2013 10:42 pm

Qatar

Hello I am new to this site and hope you can help!? :fingerscrossed:
I have been approached about a possible position in Qatar - I am a midwife.
It would be a family visa which would mean my husband and two daughters (nearly 3 and 15) can come to - I wouldn't go without them.
My husband and I have been open to the idea of working abroad for some time and my eldest daughter is up for an adventure too.
I don't know the whole package although so far I have been told there is an accommodation allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, flights there for us all (as well as flights home yearly or bonus) and home at the end. Health and Life insurance. 40 days holiday. None of the allowances have had an amount as yet. But I have no idea what I should expect to make the decision.
I have no idea how much the cost of living is and I cannot get specific information online. Any suggestions where to find this?

Anyone health professionals/nurses/midwives there already?

Anyone have teenagers or littlies there? My eldest would be studying for her A Levels and my youngest would be at nursery and then start school.

My husband has been thinking about retraining (Open University degree) so this would be a perfect opportunity but would like some part time work too to get out the house - how possible is this?

Also one other point... We are a mixed race marriage, my youngest daughter is mixed race and my eldest daughter is not. I am wondering how our family would be received?

We will be doing plenty of research but I would love to hear from anyone there or who has been.

Thanks so much in advance! :starsmile:

OleJanx Oct 3rd 2013 1:06 am

Re: Qatar

Originally Posted by Adventuregirl (Post 10928267)
It would be a family visa which would mean my husband and two daughters (nearly 3 and 15) can come to - I wouldn't go without them.
My husband and I have been open to the idea of working abroad for some time and my eldest daughter is up for an adventure too.
I don't know the whole package although so far I have been told there is an accommodation allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, flights there for us all (as well as flights home yearly or bonus) and home at the end. Health and Life insurance. 40 days holiday. None of the allowances have had an amount as yet. But I have no idea what I should expect to make the decision.
I have no idea how much the cost of living is and I cannot get specific information online. Any suggestions where to find this?

Anyone have teenagers or littlies there? My eldest would be studying for her A Levels and my youngest would be at nursery and then start school.

My husband has been thinking about retraining (Open University degree) so this would be a perfect opportunity but would like some part time work too to get out the house - how possible is this?

Also one other point... We are a mixed race marriage, my youngest daughter is mixed race and my eldest daughter is not. I am wondering how our family would be received?

We will be doing plenty of research but I would love to hear from anyone there or who has been.

I can't answer all your questions, but Qatar is a strange and unusual place. I first went there in 1982, and have been bouncing back and forth ever since.
I cannot give you an accurate virw of what your other half is likely to recieve, but Qatar is not beyond springing the unexpected, so go for it.
You'll either love or hate Doha, there is no middle ground, but if you're willing to give it a go, then, with an open mind, try it! It beats looking out the window at a grizzly autumn day in Britain....!:D

soukie Oct 3rd 2013 9:30 am

"Anyone have teenagers or littlies there? My eldest would be studying for her A Levels and my youngest would be at nursery and then start school."

Do some research into schools before you accept as there is a severe shortage of places.

Alexa Oct 3rd 2013 1:04 pm

It all depends on your salary and allowances.
Qatar is very expensive.

scot47 Oct 3rd 2013 8:15 pm

Education allowance from employer ?

typical Oct 4th 2013 6:08 am

Does this mean your husband is not the father of your eldest?

The Gulf is not always... enlightened about such situations.

amy77 Oct 4th 2013 6:36 am

Is the position at Sidra, or the Feto Maternal Centre?

Sidra means your appointment might not happen as soon as you expect, as it keeps getting delayed (currently reported to be opening in 2015). The Feto Maternal Centre is a fantastic place and has some British staff.

You may need to prepare to not be able to do your job in the way you are used to - Sidra is proposing to change things, but the culture of child birth is VERY different to what we are used to in the UK. It is like giving birth in the 1950s.

magnification Oct 4th 2013 12:18 pm

As a single dad with a different coloured child we are doing ok in Mid East. Try!

magnification Oct 5th 2013 1:55 pm

White dad, black daughter. Noticed in all countries of the world I guess.

magnification Oct 5th 2013 6:41 pm

Pity the Royals don't intermarry (colourwise) - might improve the sanity of our leaders!! ho ho!

Sarah_Jane Oct 6th 2013 8:26 pm

Hi Adventuregirl,

I'm not Qatar, but this summer I looked into moving out there in some detail. I'll gladly share with you some of the info I gathered. I relied on websites and online discussions, but I think most of the figures are in the right ball park. Perhaps other posters living in Qatar can confirm or otherwise.

Accommodation (if not provided by employer)

"Accommodation here comes in 3 forms, unfurnished which is no furniture or curtains or kitchen appliances, can also be no air conditioning. Semi furnished, which is kitchen appliances and air con, sometimes includes curtains. Fully furnished is previous + furniture + TV and DVD player. Prices will obviously vary, depending which you require, but for a 4 bed semi furnished compound villa, near to the better English curriculum schools, you will pay between QR14,000 - QR20,000 per month."

Other expenses per month:
Basic services 500 qar
Broadband 400 qar
Mobile 750 qar
Leisure 1300 qar (my estimate for a family of 5)
Eating out 1,500 qar (my estimate for a family of 5)
Car hire (1 car) 2,700 qar

Education - check out Expat Women that has a list of schools in Doha with prices - or check school website for most up to date info:

http://www.expatwoman.com/qatar/mont...fees_6129.aspx

Probably helpful to be aware that you may have to pay overseas fees for university for your daughter if she decides to go on to higher ed. There are some threads on this and other expat sites which discuss this issue in more detail. Some overseas fees aren't much different from the standard £9,000 charged in the UK, but some courses are much more expensive, veterinary and medicine being in the region of £25 - £30,000!

Grocery shopping bill will come to about double your current bill. Some posters kindly filled in a shopping list for me which I'll post below.

1kg carrots-- 5 qar (88p)
1kg broccoli-- 10 qar (£1.75)
1kg potatoes-- 5 qar (88p)
1kg apples---- 8 qar (£1.40)
1kg sugar snaps --15 qar (£2.63)
1kg oven ready chips--15 qar (£2.63)
Box of 4 oven ready breaded fish fillet--30 qar (£5.25)
1kg frozen peas---15 qar (£2.63)
Large loaf of bread----6 qar (£1.05)
A tin of kidney beans – qr 2.5 (44p)
1kg lentils (any type)--10 qar maybe (£1.75?)
1kg Steak---45 qar (if Australian) (£7.08)
2 litres sparking water 6 qar each (Perrier) (£1.05)
litre of Robinsons cordial qr 7-75 (£1.36)
toilet rolls--15 qar (£2.63)
shampoo--15 qar Dove (£2.63)
Pack of A4 printer paper—qr 12 (£2.10)

Hope this helps. Sarah

Adventuregirl Oct 10th 2013 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 10929926)
Does this mean your husband is not the father of your eldest?

The Gulf is not always... enlightened about such situations.

No he is her step father and he is Sri Lankan, my eldest is white British and youngest is mixed race. Do you foresee this being a problem?

Adventuregirl Oct 10th 2013 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10929535)
Education allowance from employer ?

yes, but no numbers have been attached to the offer as yet :)

Adventuregirl Oct 10th 2013 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by amy77 (Post 10929940)
Is the position at Sidra, or the Feto Maternal Centre?

Sidra means your appointment might not happen as soon as you expect, as it keeps getting delayed (currently reported to be opening in 2015). The Feto Maternal Centre is a fantastic place and has some British staff.

You may need to prepare to not be able to do your job in the way you are used to - Sidra is proposing to change things, but the culture of child birth is VERY different to what we are used to in the UK. It is like giving birth in the 1950s.

Amy77 can you message me more details please... Thanks

Adventuregirl Oct 10th 2013 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by magnification (Post 10930212)
As a single dad with a different coloured child we are doing ok in Mid East. Try!

Ohhhh thank you... we have never really had a problem and really want to have an adventure altogether! Where abouts are you?