Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Purchasing property in Dubai

Purchasing property in Dubai

Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purchasing property in Dubai

Originally Posted by Meow
Any tax liability depends on your residency status. Whilst there is no capital gains tax in the UAE, if you sell and are a UK resident then you are likely to be liable for UK tax on the proceeds.
I reckon I could count on one finger the number of brits caught by this and declaring it.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EwaW
Buying in Dubai dose come with its own set of risks and undoubtedly more risks then countries like the UK or Australia. Having said that buying in Dubai has some advantages as the yields on offer are higher and there is no tax payable when it comes to selling.
a 2% yield premium over the UK doesn't justify the risk.

No tax at the moment. Never ever underestimate the stroke of the pen risk.

If the locals are having to do co-payment for healthcare, the expats will be taxed on their capital gains from the land. It will come, mark my words.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I reckon I could count on one finger the number of brits caught by this and declaring it.
*shrugs*

My job is to give proper and correct advice so best people are aware. I am not about to advise people to commit tax fraud.

If anyone transfers a large sum to the UK, or an offshore account, there is a good change it could be picked up and questions asked.

Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:48 am
Just Joined

dxboffplan is an unknown quantity at this point

Dubai is a tax-free city
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dxboffplan
Dubai is a tax-free city
oh yes, I forgot that.

it will be alright then.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 11:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dxboffplan
Dubai is a tax-free city
Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
1. yes, Disco Gardens you can never go wrong but always a studio flat, never a one bedroom as it is not ready cash. Pick up a studio for 500-520K and try and find something which is empty so you can pick and choose your own tenant. There are some nationalities that are not given preference over others when being picked for tenants, Im sorry was that racist, why yes it was and despite me being anything but one, I hate to admit that living in a place like this and having had many bad experiences, one tends to pick and choose tenants now. Size of the studio in sq feet doesnt really matter as no one looks at that quite honestly and I made the mistake of getting the largest one available and now I have to pay extra in &*^&ing charges as they charge by the feet
2. Again, buying intelligently means listening to others who have done it before and all the people I talked to before buying said the same thing that mortgaging here is a downward slope. I am not a financially technical person so I wouldnt know how the banks play with you but off the top of my head the largest issue I would have with a mortgage is what if I want to sell it quickly? I am sure in case of a mortgage that wouldnt be possible within 4-5 days right? Anyway, why mortgage it? Just take a loan and pay that off
Do you recommend any other areas to Invest except for Discovery Gardens?

Would you purchase another property there?
Old Jan 31st 2017, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

I found Andrew Hallams' books helpful: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Expa...dp/1119020980/

His investment strategy is nearly %100 passive (pick 3 or 4 ETFs and simply track global markets and bonds longterm with perhaps annual rebalancing that can be done by anyone.) He explains the process very clearly and his thinking for why this will likely outperform any active investing approaches.)

The books take you from first principles so no background in finance is needed to understand the concepts. I see that he has some (free) talks in Abu Dhabi coming up: www.andrewhallam.com
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:39 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taz786
Do you recommend any other areas to Invest except for Discovery Gardens?

Would you purchase another property there?
A year ago if you had asked me this question I would have said anywhere in Dubai Investment park area as the 'exBo 2020' location is just down the road from there, which really doesnt matter much to anyone living there but I was told that someone will wave a magic wand and a new metro station will magically appear there before the expo starts. Cheap commute is always a good idea to invest close to. But now I am not so sure. The expo will happen, of that I am sure, will it cause all the fiscal problems to go away....ofcourse yanni!!!
but will there be enough gains on any investment in that area because of the exBo...not sure anymore
so the answer is no, I wont further invest here
If you are based out of the UK, then listen to what these guys are telling you, buy in the UK for little gains and more safety, the trend here will only go down in my opinion
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miuser2
I found Andrew Hallams' books helpful: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Expa...dp/1119020980/

His investment strategy is nearly %100 passive (pick 3 or 4 ETFs and simply track global markets and bonds longterm with perhaps annual rebalancing that can be done by anyone.) He explains the process very clearly and his thinking for why this will likely outperform any active investing approaches.)

The books take you from first principles so no background in finance is needed to understand the concepts. I see that he has some (free) talks in Abu Dhabi coming up: www.andrewhallam.com
I've read both his books. Both books basically labour the point that you should be invested in passive trackets and bonds all the way through it and be steering well clear of Generali, Friend Provident, etc, etc. Certainly changed my attitude to investing.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

A year ago if you had asked me this question I would have said anywhere in Dubai Investment park area as the 'exBo 2020' location is just down the road from there, which really doesnt matter much to anyone living there but I was told that someone will wave a magic wand and a new metro station will magically appear there before the expo starts. Cheap commute is always a good idea to invest close to. But now I am not so sure. The expo will happen, of that I am sure, will it cause all the fiscal problems to go away....ofcourse yanni!!!
but will there be enough gains on any investment in that area because of the exBo...not sure anymore
If you are based out of the UK, then listen to what these guys are telling you, buy in the UK for little gains and more safety, the trend here will only go down in my opinion
Is the ExBo related to the Expo...?
Old Feb 1st 2017, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice.

Think based on everyone's feedback, I will probably invest in UK instead of Dubai.

I have been considering investing in Canada (Toronto) as its a place I may consider moving at some point in my life. But prices have increase drastically and need some correction to occur before I invest.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by miuser2

Will read it. Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 8:03 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Do NOT try to avoid UK tax if you owe it - it can come back and bite you many years later - with severe penalties.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
Do NOT try to avoid UK tax if you owe it - it can come back and bite you many years later - with severe penalties.
How did you get taxed on your investment loss but FX gain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.