Public Transport

Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

LittleMermaid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Public Transport

Hello,

relatively new to all this so a quick sorry in advance!!

I'm moving out 3 weeks today and have just failed my driving test (nerves got the better of me) there don't seem to be any more tests (in the whole of the central belt of scotland!!) before i head out!!! What is Public transport like now in Dubai? I read on another post that it has improved in the last year or so?? I was out for a holiday about 5 years ago and used taxi's mostly. but i'm sure everything has changed since (fingers crossed). I am staying next to my work and will be living in the same block of accommodation as other emplyees so traveling to and from work will be fine its just when i want to head into the city that i will be a bit stuck. I don't want to have to ask someone everytime i want to go shopping or to the beach. I will be staying in the Al Quais area, exact location i'm not sure of as its one of three apartment blocks.

Any info would be great.

Little Mermaid x
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

WaqasKhawaja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Public Transport

hahahahaahah HAHAHAHAHAAHH public transport!!! hahahahaaha in duabi ahahaha

ohh they have it now!! ohh errmm... ahem

Taxi

When i went last time, they were building the metro rail bridges...not sure if that up and running.

Don't think you would want to use Busses there... or a bicycle

other then that im not sure. But i know someone will reply with the answer you want

Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanx......i think.

Yeah i can't seem to find out if the metro is open yet. My partner is hopefully moving out after 6 months if all is well with me so its jsut for this short(ish) time that i will need to use it. Just found the RTA website for the buses and it looks ok - but Dubai always has nice swish websites for everything........

Never got round to the driving thing when i was at Uni - paying for it now i guess!! got a test booked for the christmas holidays when i'm back in the uk visiting the relatives. fingers crossed I pass and the horror of public transport will be over.

little mermaid! x
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

you'll be using taxis...metro only partially opening in September, and buses, well, i think it's highly unlikely you will use them unless you happen to live and work near bus stops on the correct route...

MM, xx
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
you'll be using taxis...metro only partially opening in September, and buses, well, i think it's highly unlikely you will use them unless you happen to live and work near bus stops on the correct route...

MM, xx
I suspect there is another main reason none of us are using public transport, but it could be me

Just stick with taxi's, they're cheap enough compared to the UK.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

WaqasKhawaja is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Euc-

Just stick with taxi's, they're cheap enough compared to the UK.
REALLY??

I thought that Taxi's were stupidly expensive!!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja
hahahahaahah HAHAHAHAHAAHH public transport!!! hahahahaaha in duabi ahahaha

ohh they have it now!! ohh errmm... ahem

Taxi

When i went last time, they were building the metro rail bridges...not sure if that up and running.

Don't think you would want to use Busses there... or a bicycle

other then that im not sure. But i know someone will reply with the answer you want

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja
REALLY??

I thought that Taxi's were stupidly expensive!!
Well you obviously don't live here otherwise you would know that taxis are very cheap.
LM.....Re buses, I have never been on a bus and don't think I would recommend them. just taxi everywhere you will be fine, especially now that you can order a taxi and it usually comes within 10 minutes.
Get your mobile and address on their database and it is easy
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

Hi Patsy

It's been a long time, how's the 'Bolly'
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your info - glad taxi's are cheap - not a fan of buses at the best of times. now to start thinking about packing...

LM x
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:43 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleMermaid
Thanks for all your info - glad taxi's are cheap - not a fan of buses at the best of times. now to start thinking about packing...

LM x
ill cut to the chase, dont use busses as they stink of BO....As do half the taxi's incidently..
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleMermaid
Hello,

relatively new to all this so a quick sorry in advance!!

I'm moving out 3 weeks today and have just failed my driving test (nerves got the better of me) there don't seem to be any more tests (in the whole of the central belt of scotland!!) before i head out!!! What is Public transport like now in Dubai? I read on another post that it has improved in the last year or so?? I was out for a holiday about 5 years ago and used taxi's mostly. but i'm sure everything has changed since (fingers crossed). I am staying next to my work and will be living in the same block of accommodation as other emplyees so traveling to and from work will be fine its just when i want to head into the city that i will be a bit stuck. I don't want to have to ask someone everytime i want to go shopping or to the beach. I will be staying in the Al Quais area, exact location i'm not sure of as its one of three apartment blocks.

Any info would be great.

Little Mermaid x
pass your driving test would be my advise
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
pass your driving test would be my advise
I agree - don't give up. I failed a few times because of my nerves. My leg wouldn't stop shaking when my foot was on the clutch - great! But I perservered until I got it. Never used it in London for 5 years, but you really need a licence over here, it will make your life so much easier. Taxis are definitely cheap, but they drive like maniacs on crack.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Would love to try again but there are no test slots before i leave for dubai!!!! Aparently all the school kids like to sit their tests in the summer holidays. I will keep checking for a slot but its not looking hopeful.
I already know 3 people heading out at the same time as myself and they are aware i will be nagging for lifts every so often and are happy to help so hopefully the public transport will only be a last resort.

LM x
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice

If you dont pass in the UK - you will NEVER pass here. Just do your test again whatever it takes, do it locally around you not just in the same centre. It will be worth it.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:43 am
Just Joined

YIP have been trying every test centre in the central belt of scotland. Nothing free before i move on the 18th of August. CRAP!! have booked at test for the christmas holidays when i'm back over.
Its all very annoying but if i can surrvive not driving in Uganda for a year then i'm sure if i have to take the smelly BO buses in Dubai once or twice before i can it my test again in December i'll survive.

Thanks for all your help so far. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.