Public speaking

Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:02 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Public speaking

Have you done any public speaking? Any tips?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:18 am
W10

Default Re: Public speaking

Done loads - at a conference being the last one.

Tips - depends entirely on what audience, how big the room is etc.

But just be confident, remember to speak slowly, have a good idea of what you want to say. I never write it all down, just have key points and ad lib.

Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I've done loads too...what sort of event is it? is there a presentation or just a speech??

MM, xx
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:37 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

I have to do a presentation and speak for 35 mins and then 10 mins questions from the audience.

Will present to about 60 people.

I'm having nightmares
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't do too many slides in the presentation, and make sure you don't simply read out what is on the slides, I hate that. Agree with W10, have notes rather than a fully scripted speech, but rehearse and rehearse so you're comfortable that you know what you're going to say. Speak slowly...much slower than you think, cos there is nothing worse than a presenter who rushes through stuff...

You'll be fine...

MM, xx
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:50 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
Just don't do too many slides in the presentation, and make sure you don't simply read out what is on the slides, I hate that. Agree with W10, have notes rather than a fully scripted speech, but rehearse and rehearse so you're comfortable that you know what you're going to say. Speak slowly...much slower than you think, cos there is nothing worse than a presenter who rushes through stuff...

You'll be fine...

MM, xx
Cheers .. I work with some seasoned speakers so I get to have a few trial runs with them.

I have 9 slides ... just got to create the content for them now.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm terrible at public squeaking; I pi$s-pronounce all of my worms.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:12 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by jvr20
I'm terrible at public squeaking; I pi$s-pronounce all of my worms.
now I feel better
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:15 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Have you done any public speaking? Any tips?
For smaller groups I prefer free-form and allow the audience to chip-in with questions as they arise.
That way, keeping it interactive tends to hold their attention for longer.

However, with bigger audience you cant do this as it turns into a zoo.
I can only agree with the others

1. Speak slowly, people can get nervous and tend to rush through.

2. Keep slides to a minimum. Bullet-point key messages/drivers and reference things you wish to expand on verbally.

3. agree with the others, only read the slides to get a reference then expand on them....do not read the slide verbatim

rgds
JD

For the record....JD has great oral skills
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:27 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
For smaller groups I prefer free-form and allow the audience to chip-in with questions as they arise.
That way, keeping it interactive tends to hold their attention for longer.

However, with bigger audience you cant do this as it turns into a zoo.
I can only agree with the others

1. Speak slowly, people can get nervous and tend to rush through.

2. Keep slides to a minimum. Bullet-point key messages/drivers and reference things you wish to expand on verbally.

3. agree with the others, only read the slides to get a reference then expand on them....do not read the slide verbatim

rgds
JD

For the record....JD has great oral skills

Cheers.

I almost missed the last bit
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:42 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers .. I work with some seasoned speakers so I get to have a few trial runs with them.

I have 9 slides ... just got to create the content for them now.
One of the best tips i was ever given - and it works - is to avoid the verbal fillers - mmmms, aaahhhhs,................ if you forget what u want to say or have to think , just be quiet........ someone will fill the silence..

Bit like this place really
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:54 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
One of the best tips i was ever given - and it works - is to avoid the verbal fillers - mmmms, aaahhhhs,................ if you forget what u want to say or have to think , just be quiet........ someone will fill the silence..

Bit like this place really
I hope someone will fill the silence .. my worst memory of being on stage was when I had to go to elocution classes and then recite a poem at a fèis and completely lost my words!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:12 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

I hope someone will fill the silence .. my worst memory of being on stage was when I had to go to elocution classes and then recite a poem at a fèis and completely lost my words!
Try saying nothing for 30 seconds whilst standing infront of a group of people - they will be alot more unconfortable than u
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:40 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Wear something you feel good and comfortable in....not a shirt that's really too tight so it rides up and you have to pull it down constantly, not a skirt that is a little bit short or shoes that make your feet ache...you'll have enough on your mind not to be distracted by that....
And just think that the audience is glad not to be in your place...most people hate this sort of thing and you are up there and doing a good job! They are there to learn something, not to criticise you. And if you suddenly get a black out, don't go rambling on in all directions. Take a few moments to get back on track.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Miss E, I do alot of public speaking too and it really isn't as frightening as you think, once you get up there and start it will just 'flow' if you know what I mean. I have short notes but nothing too rehearsed. Can we come and watch???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.