British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Public Holiday next week? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/public-holiday-next-week-550976/)

Bison Jul 24th 2008 1:21 pm

Public Holiday next week?

I've heard it is officially on Wednesday but being moved to Thursday, can anyone clarify?

Bison

busybee2 Jul 24th 2008 1:23 pm

Re: Public Holiday next week?

it will only be for public sector and it will be moved to a thursday so it can be made a long weekend for some.

Spugsy Jul 24th 2008 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6605785)
it will only be for public sector and it will be moved to a thursday so it can be made a long weekend for some.

what do you mean public sector only?

Bison Jul 24th 2008 1:39 pm

I have now heard that it is on wednesday but the day off work will be Thursday.

Pubs and clubs are only closed Tuesday and will reopen wednesday.

Bison

Sue_M Jul 24th 2008 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 6605848)
I have now heard that it is on wednesday but the day off work will be Thursday.

Pubs and clubs are only closed Tuesday and will reopen wednesday.

Bison

Is this a UAE wide public holiday? What is it in aid of?

Spugsy Jul 24th 2008 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sue_M (Post 6605860)
Is this a UAE wide public holiday? What is it in aid of?

Al Esra and Al Mairaj - or so out website says, whatever the hell that means.

busybee2 Jul 24th 2008 1:53 pm

public is government etc, private equals private companies, they usually only give hols for public and private always misses out or they give it to them on a friday!

ctfc Jul 25th 2008 11:32 am

It's a public holiday to mark the Ascension of the Prophet.

Islamic days start at sunset not at midnight so the holiday on Wednesday officially runs from sunset Tuesday to sunset Wednesday hence the bars being closed Tuesday night. Moving the day off to Thursday to make a long weekend sounds like sensible practicality!

Depends on your company whether you get an extra day of as well or not - some give it some don't, but all public sector will be off for sure.

lionheart Jul 28th 2008 5:41 am

I have just been told that we are getting Thursday off and so is my best friend so it must be fairly widespread as we both work for miniscule private companies. How about you guys and gals?

jrudofsky Jul 28th 2008 5:55 am

The DIFC and Dubai Financial Markets will be closed on Thursday so it's official for all the freezone companies in there?

Spugsy Jul 28th 2008 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 6605774)
I've heard it is officially on Wednesday but being moved to Thursday, can anyone clarify?

Bison

yup, as expected ours is now thursday - get in there.

Bison Jul 28th 2008 6:32 am

Woooo my company has just confirmed we have Thursday off, I've also booked Weds as holiday so 4 days for me!! Boooyaaa

kellyloisgormley Jul 28th 2008 6:36 am

Originally Posted by jrudofsky (Post 6617695)
The DIFC and Dubai Financial Markets will be closed on Thursday so it's official for all the freezone companies in there?

I work in the freezone, and have been advised that the day off is Thursday, so long weekend! :rofl:

jrudofsky Jul 28th 2008 6:45 am

You can bet that all our esteemed colleagues in London, Europe and the US will pay little attention to that....a bit like on Fridays. I really enjoy retunring people's calls on Sunday mornings.

Spugsy Jul 28th 2008 7:55 am

Originally Posted by jrudofsky (Post 6617821)
You can bet that all our esteemed colleagues in London, Europe and the US will pay little attention to that....a bit like on Fridays. I really enjoy retunring people's calls on Sunday mornings.

Our fantasitc HR guy rang me up at 5am on a Sunday morning when we were sorting contracts out before I came out here, obviously he has never heard of time difference, never mind looked into what the UK working week was.