Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Psychometric tests

Psychometric tests

Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:21 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Psychometric tests

Originally Posted by Cham128
i rest my case

Gareth Dicks!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:09 pm
Banned

Dubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zamboooka
This seems to cover lots of my questions. Thanks a mill and to everyone for all their replies.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dago
Gareth Dicks!
its actually with an x and is pronounced like the french number 10 :P
Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:51 pm
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick
This seems to cover lots of my questions. Thanks a mill and to everyone for all their replies.
welcs!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

fritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick
One interesting topic I couldn't find covered on that site are control-questions--I find this fascinating...

When you're given a psychometric test, there are questions referred to as Control Questions; these are used to ascertain how truthful you are.

You're presented with something unsocial--stealing, lying to an authority figure, drinking and driving. Since almost everybody has committed these indiscretions at some point, they're looking to see if you'll honestly admit your misdeed.

Although the questions are framed as harshly judging the offender, an affirmative response is the most powerful reply.

I'm not an expert, just had studied-up in preparation for a job previously...which i got
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fritztastic
One interesting topic I couldn't find covered on that site are control-questions--I find this fascinating...

When you're given a psychometric test, there are questions referred to as Control Questions; these are used to ascertain how truthful you are.

You're presented with something unsocial--stealing, lying to an authority figure, drinking and driving. Since almost everybody has committed these indiscretions at some point, they're looking to see if you'll honestly admit your misdeed.

Although the questions are framed as harshly judging the offender, an affirmative response is the most powerful reply.

I'm not an expert, just had studied-up in preparation for a job previously...which i got
Not necessarily true. Several questions are asked in different ways. eg "I prefer art galleries to night clubs" and "I prefer night clubs to art galleries."

The answer cannot be yes to both.....or it could be, but you have changed your mind so the internal validity (right term??) becomes lower.

The results are compared to a "norm group" - there's probably another name, but it's been so long since I was doing it. This norm group depends on the country, male female etc.

So, a psyc test designed for the USA population is not usually used in the UK, and when rarely it might be, the answers are compared to a bunch of brits, not yanks....if that makes sense.

(Also, different words have different meanings. eg "quite" = "very" to my 'merican friends)
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

fritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Not necessarily true. Several questions are asked in different ways. eg "I prefer art galleries to night clubs" and "I prefer night clubs to art galleries."

The answer cannot be yes to both.....or it could be, but you have changed your mind so the internal validity (right term??) becomes lower.

The results are compared to a "norm group" - there's probably another name, but it's been so long since I was doing it. This norm group depends on the country, male female etc.

So, a psyc test designed for the USA population is not usually used in the UK, and when rarely it might be, the answers are compared to a bunch of brits, not yanks....if that makes sense.

(Also, different words have different meanings. eg "quite" = "very" to my 'merican friends)
thanks for the clarification! been a while for me to...
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:49 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fritztastic

These aren't included in tests I have seen being used in Dubai.

The main tests being used in the UAE for personality profiling are OPQ and in some instances MBTI. The former will indicate if the candidate attempted to appeal socially desirable (and hence perhaps can't be trusted!).

Depending on the role, the candidate can then have the delights of an assessment centre which will cover the competencies set out by the employer. I guess if it was working as head of security for a top bank then they may want to address those issues.