British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Psychometric tests (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/psychometric-tests-483498/)

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 7:45 pm

Psychometric tests

If I get shortlisted for a job they told me that the next step is to have psychometric tests. Never had any. What will I be tested on? What can I expect? Help :unsure:

The Dean Sep 25th 2007 7:52 pm

Re: Psychometric tests

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick (Post 5353968)
If I get shortlisted for a job they told me that the next step is to have psychometric tests. Never had any. What will I be tested on? What can I expect? Help :unsure:

You'll get multiple choice, such as:

If The Dean asked you to sleep with him, what would you say?
a) yes, if it would help me get the job
b) yes, if makes him happy
c) yes, because I'm that sort of girl
d) all of the above

By the way, answer 'D' is always either 'all of the above' or 'none of the above'.

You'll get questions that test your "acuity" or some such crap...... ("Do you believe cutting corners to get a job done more quickly but at the expense of the quality of the outcome is ever justified?" etc) Nothing 'psychometric' about that, but it crops up......

They're easy............ and pointless, as nobody usually knows how to interpret the answers correctly. Tell us how it goes.

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5354012)
You'll get multiple choice, such as:

If The Dean asked you to sleep with him, what would you say?
a) yes, if it would help me get the job
b) yes, if makes him happy
c) yes, because I'm that sort of girl
d) all of the above

By the way, answer 'D' is always either 'all of the above' or 'none of the above'.

You'll get questions that test your "acuity" or some such crap...... ("Do you believe cutting corners to get a job done more quickly but at the expense of the quality of the outcome is ever justified?" etc) Nothing 'psychometric' about that, but it crops up......

They're easy............ and pointless, as nobody usually knows how to interpret the answers correctly. Tell us how it goes.

I knew you would know the answer :) Tho I am still none the wiser really :lol:
Won't know if I am going on to round two for about 10 days. Hate waiting this long :frown:

mythic Sep 25th 2007 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick (Post 5354035)
Won't know if I am going on to round two for about 10 days. Hate waiting this long :frown:

they are nothing to worry about, just read the questions before you answer any, as some are the same question but slightly altered,

The Dean Sep 25th 2007 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick (Post 5354035)

I remember a test where you simply had to answer 50 questions honestly........ they were looking to see how "street-wise" (or whatever) you were..... and this for a job in a bank!!

They presumably wanted people who had lived a bit....... you scored poiints for 'yes' or 'no' answers:

Have you ever broken the law? (Yes = 10 points, No = 3 points)
Have you ever shoplifted? (Yes = 5 points, No = 1 point) (banks don't require honest people these days, I assume!!)

The last one was 'Have you ever hit a woman?'. Yes was MINUS 50 points (fair enough) but No was 'zero' ??????

Weird. Although I am a wife-beating shoplifter, I didn't get the job.......

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by mythic (Post 5354070)
they are nothing to worry about, just read the questions before you answer any, as some are the same question but slightly altered,

So what is the point?

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5354074)
I remember a test where you simply had to answer 50 questions honestly........ they were looking to see how "street-wise" (or whatever) you were..... and this for a job in a bank!!

They presumably wanted people who had lived a bit....... you scored poiints for 'yes' or 'no' answers:

Have you ever broken the law? (Yes = 10 points, No = 3 points)
Have you ever shoplifted? (Yes = 5 points, No = 1 point) (banks don't require honest people these days, I assume!!)

The last one was 'Have you ever hit a woman?'. Yes was MINUS 50 points (fair enough) but No was 'zero' ??????

Weird. Although I am a wife-beating shoplifter, I didn't get the job.......

Crazy!!!!!!!!!! Imagine if you wanted to show them you were a model citizen and they wanted to see something else, you would not get far. That is the problem, knowing what the employer wants.

mythic Sep 25th 2007 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick (Post 5354078)
So what is the point?

none really, its so they can analize your way of thinking, by checking what you answer to each question, but really dont worry about it, just answer each question as you see fit, normally about 20

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by mythic (Post 5354102)
none really, its so they can analize your way of thinking, by checking what you answer to each question, but really dont worry about it, just answer each question as you see fit, normally about 20

So never really a good way or a bad way to answer. Then how do they decide who is the better candidate? Do you have to think outside the box? Is that what they usually want?

mythic Sep 25th 2007 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick (Post 5354112)
So never really a good way or a bad way to answer. Then how do they decide who is the better candidate? Do you have to think outside the box? Is that what they usually want?

there is no right or wrong answer, correct, just write what you feel is right, yep think outside the box, and it is not used to determine who is better candidate, that would have already been done. just read the question and think before you tick the box

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by mythic (Post 5354139)
there is no right or wrong answer, correct, just write what you feel is right, yep think outside the box, and it is not used to determine who is better candidate, that would have already been done. just read the question and think before you tick the box

Will do, thanks :)

Inselaffen Sep 25th 2007 8:31 pm

I did a test in the Hamburg office of one of the biggest shipping companies. They were supposed to be able to plot a chart showing whether you were more suited to a commercial sales type position or an admin type position. I was straight down the middle which is not supposed to happen. So when I went up to Copenhagen for the interview they repeated the test because there must have been an error. Was straight down the middle again! :p

Didnt get the job :rofl:

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5354186)
I did a test in the Hamburg office of one of the biggest shipping companies. They were supposed to be able to plot a chart showing whether you were more suited to a commercial sales type position or an admin type position. I was straight down the middle which is not supposed to happen. So when I went up to Copenhagen for the interview they repeated the test because there must have been an error. Was straight down the middle again! :p

Didnt get the job :rofl:

Probably a crap test :D

Inselaffen Sep 25th 2007 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick (Post 5354199)
Probably a crap test :D

had applied to the London office of the same company a couple of years earlier when i was less desparate to move. They wanted someone with 5 years commercial exerience but expected them to do the crappy test!!

Told them to stick their test where the sun doesnt shine.

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5354220)
had applied to the London office of the same company a couple of years earlier when i was less desparate to move. They wanted someone with 5 years commercial exerience but expected them to do the crappy test!!

Told them to stick their test where the sun doesnt shine.

Good for you :thumbsup: