PSA: BORDER

Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:28 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default PSA: BORDER

PSA (Public Service Announcement)

[rant]the word is spelt: BORDER, not boArder, when talking about boundaries between countries.

typos are forgivable.

but to persistently mis-spell the same word is really rather annoying. [/rant]

ok, I've spent too much time on the road today, so forgive my pedantry, but AARGH summer duck-wit season has begun again.......
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: PSA: BORDER

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
PSA (Public Service Announcement)

[rant]the word is spelt: BORDER, not boArder, when talking about boundaries between countries.

typos are forgivable.

but to persistently mis-spell the same word is really rather annoying. [/rant]

ok, I've spent too much time on the road today, so forgive my pedantry, but AARGH summer duck-wit season has begun again.......
What about Furnitures, Softwares, Breads, and 'World of Fishes?' It is also quite common to see MS-WORD confuse 'Advice' and 'Advise' when set to UK English.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jackthehat
What about Furnitures, Softwares, Breads, and 'World of Fishes?' It is also quite common to see MS-WORD confuse 'Advice' and 'Advise' when set to UK English.
and loose instead of lose annoys me
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

...and whilst we're on the Pedant Podium...

the use of 'of' instead of have really REALLY annoys me. The readers of this thread could of done with reading it before posting. I mean, WTF are people thinking? Doesn't even make sense.

And when youngsters talk, the use of the word 'like'.
" I was like are you coming out tonight"
" He was like nah I'm too tired"

or
"Its like really cool".

'Like' in my mind means similar to, but not the same as. Not quite identical. Or to be fond of something.

Grrr....
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
...and whilst we're on the Pedant Podium...

the use of 'of' instead of have really REALLY annoys me. The readers of this thread could of done with reading it before posting. I mean, WTF are people thinking? Doesn't even make sense.

And when youngsters talk, the use of the word 'like'.
" I was like are you coming out tonight"
" He was like nah I'm too tired"

or
"Its like really cool".

'Like' in my mind means similar to, but not the same as. Not quite identical. Or to be fond of something.

Grrr....
There is one expression that is like 'fingernails being dragged down a blackboard' whenever I hear it!

"That was Really Awesome!"
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
There is one expression that is like 'fingernails being dragged down a blackboard' whenever I hear it!

"That was Really Awesome!"
I take it that "That was, like, really Awesome!" will not improve your blood pressure then?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OleJanx
I take it that "That was, like, really Awesome!" will not improve your blood pressure then?
Cool Bro!

It must be sign of getting old! - Either that, or Orwell's Prophecy was correct; with 'Newspeak' coming-in through the back door with MS-WORD Spool Choker!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:26 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

dooood
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dooood
We can now make a complete sentence in 'Newspeak!' Just like Arabic there are no Capital Letters, Punctuation, nor Spelling Mistakes! What about writing it from Right to Left, just for a change?

edud emosewa yllaer ekil saw taht orb looc

cool bro that was like really awesome dude

As they cannot spell 'Border' in English, I still wonder about 'Sharkah' or 'Sharzah' in Arabic, yet everyone pronounces it 'Sharjah!' It is the same with 'Jebel Ali' and 'Jabal Ali!'

Maybe our next project should be to invent a New Calendar? We could also declare that the 'Earth is Flat' and have one 'Universal Time Zone!' =

Give a thought to a 'God,' or should we be Atheist? - Otherwise we could rule with the 'Iron Fist' of 'Anglican Fundamentalism' ensuring that Bishops, Rectors, Vicars and Curates replace Islamic Clerics! - Just imagine all of that Bell Ringing at 5:00 AM! 'Suicide Bombing' would be limited to 'Party Poppers' and 'Custard Pies!'

Smoking, Drinking, and Sex on the Beach, could all be made legal, provided that there is a letter of the alphabet in the month name! - Participants would (of course) need a Letter of 'No Objection' from their Local Vicar!

The same would apply to 'Ugly Fat Women' we could issue 'sawtaf' (Newspeak for 'Fatwa') to ensure that 'Plain Women' must be covered with a 'Horse-Blanket' at all times!

What do you think?

(Sorry guys, just had a bad couple of days trying to carry out an 'Extremely Painful' Payment Collection!)

"Bukrah Insha Allah Habibi, Bukrah Insha Allah" Was the response as I left them 'Coppering-Up!"
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

When the "IBM" ( Inshallah, Bukhrah, Ma'allesh) factor comes into play, it's usually time to go and lower the level on a bottle of booze and quietly mutter ruderosities to yourself!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

When the "IBM" ( Inshallah, Bukhrah, Ma'allesh) factor comes into play, it's usually time to go and lower the level on a bottle of booze and quietly mutter ruderosities to yourself!
Been here long enough to realise that! Sat here with my friend Gordon (a close friend of Vera Lynn) and the Schweppes Brothers!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:55 pm
womble

ok, I just snorted my cab sauv out my nostrils
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok, I just snorted my cab sauv out my nostrils
Sorry about that, mate...
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:41 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Being a magazine editor, I see it all.

I've experienced most of those spelling mistakes and gramatical errors during the past ten years I've been working as a journalist, but the ones that really bug me the most (partly because they're such a pain in the ass to remove) are when people use double spacing between sentences, and when they capitalise random adjectives or verbs in the middle of sentences.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:50 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Being a magazine editor, I see it all.

I've experienced most of those spelling mistakes and gramatical errors during the past ten years I've been working as a journalist, but the ones that really bug me the most (partly because they're such a pain in the ass to remove) are when people use double spacing between sentences, and when they capitalise random adjectives or verbs in the middle of sentences.
Oh dear! You've experienced most of those spelling mistakes and 'gramatical' errors, have you? What about your own?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.