Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The property apocalypse draws closer...

The property apocalypse draws closer...

Old May 12th 2007, 4:35 pm

diablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The property apocalypse draws closer...

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Current yields are far lower than mortgage rates plus all the assosciated costs. So no sense investing now.

Very relevant example: Would you buy Shiva's villa????
No I did no mean villas. A friend of mine is paying a 2 bed apartment in Greens for AED 150,000 per year! You still can find such apartments for less and up to AED 1,500,000.
Old May 12th 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diablo
No I did no mean villas. A friend of mine is paying a 2 bed apartment in Greens for AED 150,000 per year! You still can find such apartments for less and up to AED 1,500,000.
AED 1,500,000 @ 9%/8.5%, 15 year mortgage.
EMI: 15,200 /14,759 Rent: AED 12,500
Maintenance costs: ?? AED 12 per sq ft??
Municipality taxes: ??
Insurance cost: ??
Repairs: ??

plus the one-off buying costs........

So how does he cover costs
Old May 12th 2007, 4:49 pm
Why No Clock ?

Hoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really nice

Does anybody have any anecdotal tales from people who have bought properties who are now desperate to sell out of fear or worry?

I have heard a couple. They mostly relate to people who have bought villas that have gone up so much in value that they have become a huge percentage of their net worth. It's scary to think (not of a property apocalypse) but of something bad happening to the property (force majeur) that would reduce it to it's initial, insured value (ie., the off-plan purchase price). The way I see it, it's a take the money and run, sorta thing.

I often read property blogs etc and it always comes down to the same thing: people who bought 3 or 4 years ago and reaped the rewards vs people who didn't and are now being gouged on rentals.
Old May 12th 2007, 4:52 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama
Does anybody have any anecdotal tales from people who have bought properties who are now desperate to sell out of fear or worry?

I have heard a couple. They mostly relate to people who have bought villas that have gone up so much in value that they have become a huge percentage of their net worth. It's scary to think (not of a property apocalypse) but of something bad happening to the property (force majeur) that would reduce it to it's initial, insured value (ie., the off-plan purchase price). The way I see it, it's a take the money and run, sorta thing.

I often read property blogs etc and it always comes down to the same thing: people who bought 3 or 4 years ago and reaped the rewards vs people who didn't and are now being gouged on rentals.
You what?

I do know personally, of a couple who sold their emirates hills villa for a 40% increase.

In 2 years.

FACT
Old May 12th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama

Not anecdotal but real I got this mail yesterday :

Snip Snip - if you didn't read it, PM me for the text....

FACT

Last edited by IndieG; May 12th 2007 at 5:10 pm. Reason: FACT ;-)
Old May 12th 2007, 4:56 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Not anecdotal but real I got this mail yesterday :

I have put this on sale for AGES. No one wishes to buy our floor or even some of our units. I am going on Sunday to request our money back and will be taking an attorney with us. Can you provide any contact details on this?
Perhaps you aren't speaking to the right people.....
Old May 12th 2007, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MJC
Perhaps you aren't speaking to the right people.....
They speak to me...........

MJC, I'm not denying that everyone who bought early on in certain developments have made money. But people have also lost money on dud property investments in Dubai. This is a fact and just because you don't see it in the papers, does not mean it didn't happen.
Old May 12th 2007, 5:09 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They speak to me...........

MJC, I'm not denying that everyone who bought early on in certain developments have made money. But people have also lost money on dud property investments in Dubai. This is a fact and just because you don't see it in the papers, does not mean it didn't happen.
Oh I love to read the papers, I believe everything they say....

And the government is amazingt!

XX
Old May 12th 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MJC
Oh I love to read the papers, I believe everything they say....

And the government is amazingt!

XX
I believe the negative things at least..........

Hey, did you read this comical article:
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...section=theuae

The boom, he says, is here to stay. The observation, coming from someone who has seen the boom from very close quarters, makes it all the more convincing.

I do believe the government PR machinery is amazing..........
Old May 12th 2007, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

If you go back and look posts you'll find that Pearl was brought in as to prove a point of JBR 'failure' so to speak. So I answered - I dn't know abot that one? Than you used the same argument (Pearl) to emphasise that 'I have no idea'. So that is the reference to JBR. Read a bit deeper and furrther back than immediate response.

I brought the Pearl into the discussion to support my argument that all is not as gung ho as it is being made out to be and failures are seldom reported. I find it odd that the developer Omnix should ditch a project because it was not economically viable and obtaining financing is getting increasingly difficult. I have serious doubts about Sports City being completed by 2010, if at all. I only hope that your investments are not off-plan, or if they are, you have done your homework on the promoters, their past projects etc. If you've bought a couple of years back, then you have nothing to worry about - even if there is a significant correction. You would have still made a tidy sum. My advice is more relevant to investors (with very little equity, taking huge mortgages) getting into the market now

Give us the figures and conclusive evidence of what you are stating. Give us the report / reference number; attach the reports.

I have detailed demographics and statistics - will email it to anyone who is interested.

There is no right and wrong in this debate, it is all about looking at both sides of the coin and then letting the investor making an informed decision - this is a highly personal decision. So let's all keep it civil please

I'd be interested to see the stats you have - [email protected]
Thanks
Old May 12th 2007, 5:22 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I believe the negative things at least..........

Hey, did you read this comical article:
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...section=theuae

The boom, he says, is here to stay. The observation, coming from someone who has seen the boom from very close quarters, makes it all the more convincing.

I do believe the government PR machinery is amazing..........
As I've said before (and the one time W10 has agreed with me), the growth will not stop, the government will not allow it.
Old May 12th 2007, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MJC
As I've said before (and the one time W10 has agreed with me), the growth will not stop, the government will not allow it.
I wish - but wouldn't pin my hopes on that. Did they stop the stock market from falling?

Why will growth not stop? It did stop in 1997-99. Please tell me what exactly will the government do and how?
Old May 12th 2007, 5:35 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wish - but wouldn't pin my hopes on that. Did they stop the stock market from falling?

Why will growth not stop? It did stop in 1997-99. Please tell me what exactly will the government do and how?
Cos the Dubai government needs a total influx of people to satisfy their wants.

Think about it
Old May 12th 2007, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat.brat
I'd be interested to see the stats you have - [email protected]
Thanks
You are the first expat.brat??? Hats off!!!

But seriously,the whole real estate industry doesn't have any ethics or moral compass...They're just seeing how the landlords are shafting the tennants for years now and no higher power is doing anything to stop it,so,in their turn,they are also fuelling the greed train and having a free hand to do what they want...
Just show me who got arrested for swindling peoples' money or was extradicted after being found out...
Old May 12th 2007, 5:46 pm

diablo is an unknown quantity at this point

AED 1,500,000 @ 9%/8.5%, 15 year mortgage.
EMI: 15,200 /14,759 Rent: AED 12,500
Maintenance costs: ?? AED 12 per sq ft??
Municipality taxes: ??
Insurance cost: ??
Repairs: ??

plus the one-off buying costs........

So how does he cover costs
Well you have a number of points there but I'll have to go back. There are 2 beds of 1300-1400 sqft in JBR at some AED 1,200,000-1,400,000. My argument is that a flat in JBR is a better value than in Greens so the rent should be as a minimum as there and very likely higher than that (this will be tested very soon). Also you should be looking for 20 years mortgage (residents of Dubai) or even interest only if you are counting on capital gain. Minimum deposit for most of banks is 20% so your borrowings are about 1,200,000. The maintenance costs and municipality say AED 25,000 and mortgage fees AED 10,000. First year - repairs free. This brings your cost of some AED 13,500 per month. So if you rent that apartment for AED 165,000 you are just about there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.