Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

PROPERTY AGENT RECOMMENDATIONS FOR JVT/JVC & AL REEM (ARABIAN RANCHES)

PROPERTY AGENT RECOMMENDATIONS FOR JVT/JVC & AL REEM (ARABIAN RANCHES)

Old May 10th 2016, 6:49 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PROPERTY AGENT RECOMMENDATIONS FOR JVT/JVC & AL REEM (ARABIAN RANCHES)

Originally Posted by WowEyes
I am used to the norm where the buyer and seller each pay the same fixed percentage of the sale value to one agent- it is then upto that agent to split fees or not depending on number of middlemen involved.

As both buyer and seller are paying the fees, if the sale value goes up marginally, its mostly the agent who benefits, not the seller. Therefore, deals are quick to execute as you dont see selllers holding out for a ridiculous $2000 or even $ 5000 on a property deal.

Same logic with the rentals.

Though more and more, it has become the norm to sign a "fixed amount" contract with the agency so that it is not in their interest to constantly upsell.

Of course, all this seems very far away from how Dubai works.
I am going to back away from this charming agent until the contract expires in August. I have had quick offers through them which were OK but the commission I would now have to pay is just too much and as the agency handle the conveyancing they would just deduct the amount on the contract.
Old May 10th 2016, 9:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PROPERTY AGENT RECOMMENDATIONS FOR JVT/JVC & AL REEM (ARABIAN RANCHES)

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
Sadly just now finding out this is not entirely true - for sellers anyway. You can be told you won't have any commission to pay verbally then get sent a vague form by email to sign in a hurry and send back regarding commission when they say they found a good buyer - being told other 3rd party agents need to have their commission too. Then when this "good" arrangement falls through I find you are actually tied for the length of the "contract" which is 3 months to pay that exact amount of commission plus an extra AED6,000 for their "processing" of the sale - even if you sell through someone else probably during this time and/or get a lower price. This is a large agency. Seller beware.
The OP was talking about renting, not buying and selling. Different situations.
Old May 10th 2016, 9:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I am used to the norm where the buyer and seller each pay the same fixed percentage of the sale value to one agent- it is then upto that agent to split fees or not depending on number of middlemen involved.

As both buyer and seller are paying the fees, if the sale value goes up marginally, its mostly the agent who benefits, not the seller. Therefore, deals are quick to execute as you dont see selllers holding out for a ridiculous $2000 or even $ 5000 on a property deal.

Same logic with the rentals.

Though more and more, it has become the norm to sign a "fixed amount" contract with the agency so that it is not in their interest to constantly upsell.

Of course, all this seems very far away from how Dubai works.
Dubai (and the UAE) is not the UK so why would you expect things to be the same?
Old May 10th 2016, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

WowEyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
Dubai (and the UAE) is not the UK so why would you expect things to be the same?
Agreed.

But one would've hoped that emerging economies skip the transition cycle (they will get there eventually) and just adopt good practices. Its not as if the UK is middle-of-nowhere solomon islands, where the customary practices there, even if good, are not really visible/ familiar to the people in the UAE.

Why not look around and adopt what is good and evolved?

But its not a complaint. Its just sort of wishful thinking I guess. (Determined to start our move there on a positive high )

Last edited by WowEyes; May 10th 2016 at 9:42 am. Reason: typo
Old May 10th 2016, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Since the early days of the interweb using caps locks has been considered 'shouting' - hence the reactions.

Best of luck finding somewhere. I've used Better Homes in the past and they have been ok.

N.
Better Homes are one of the worse agents to use...totally sh*t IMHO
Old May 10th 2016, 11:01 am
Bored liberal

Agreed.

But one would've hoped that emerging economies skip the transition cycle (they will get there eventually) and just adopt good practices. Its not as if the UK is middle-of-nowhere solomon islands, where the customary practices there, even if good, are not really visible/ familiar to the people in the UAE.

Why not look around and adopt what is good and evolved?

But its not a complaint. Its just sort of wishful thinking I guess. (Determined to start our move there on a positive high )
Expecting logic in the ME?

That way madness lies...