Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

property agent fee (rentals) - Abu Dhabi

property agent fee (rentals) - Abu Dhabi

Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Dickinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default property agent fee (rentals) - Abu Dhabi

The going rate appears to be 5%. Does any one have experience of negotiating this down?

Many thanks

Dickinson
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default Re: property agent fee (rentals) - Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Dickinson
The going rate appears to be 5%. Does any one have experience of negotiating this down?

Many thanks

Dickinson
Same story in DXB I'm afraid, robbers I tell thee!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:43 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I've never come across an agent that would take less than the 5%...and why would they...as you say, it's the going rate and it's not like if they say no, you can easily go to another agent as they will stick to the 5% as well.
What happens now apparently is that for the cheap studios they will charge 5000 dhs commission, which I can understand, as the work involved for them for doing a 350,000 dhs apartment or a 35,000 dhs studio is the same, but since the houseprices have dropped quite a bit, agents have had less of the expensive properties and more of the cheaper ones, hence their income must have dropped...
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

We paid 4%.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

Dickinson
thats the going rate.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

Dickinson
but if you have used certain ones a lot i have managed to negotiate it down a little but not a lot. but it depends on what they do, this particular one showed us 1 property and that was it back in the days when you didnt have much choice. now its different, now they will work a little harder for their money
Old Sep 21st 2010, 2:30 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
Same story in DXB I'm afraid, robbers I tell thee!
I think that used to be the case but now many are having to work for a living and treat their clients better. At least that's been my experience - the crash weeded out a lot of the useless ones who seemed to think turning up 30mins late for a viewing whilst wearing flip flops and clothes that wouldn't be out of place on a beach would somehow convince me I should be paying them 5% of the rent for helping me find somewhere to live...

N.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I've never come across an agent that would take less than the 5%...and why would they...
becuase it is a competitive market and they want to get a deal done.

The 5% is normally shared between the company and the agent standing in front of you. The chances are that the company won't budge but the agent might so you might be able to chip off 1%.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:13 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Several of the agents I talked to described the fall - from more or less earning money for breathing, to having to chase hard.

One also told me how standard it is for the agent to add 5-15% onto the price the landlord asks for - then the agent would get not only the 5% commission, but the difference in rent too...
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:59 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

Dickinson
What are you looking for?
If it's a two or three bedroomed condo on Corniche,you'll pay at least 5% as they remain the most sought after.
4 bedrooms more negotiable and villas? depends where you are looking.There are many villas available now both on and off island.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:05 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

Dickinson

Sorry I didn't answer your Q.
No. it can't normally be negotiated down becos the Landlord has incurred expenses per advertising and Agents(your scenario?) and the Agent has commission and fees.
Find a property that has a makeshift 'To Let' banner draped from it's upper majilis and avoid agents.