British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Project Manager in glass industry without a degree (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/project-manager-glass-industry-without-degree-512711/)

jenkinsinoz Feb 8th 2008 2:42 am

Project Manager in glass industry without a degree

Hi, my husband is an experience structural/architectural glazing/curtain walling project manager, we are keen to move to Dubai but have found difficulty finding suitable job opportunities for his field. Also he does not have a degree. There must be lots of glass work going on, he has many years experience running projects in the UK and Sydney, any pointers anyone can offer would be very much appreciated!! Abu Dhabi is also a consideration. Many thanks in anticipation.....

Madam Medusa Feb 8th 2008 2:50 am

Re: Project Manager in glass industry without a degree

Originally Posted by jenkinsinoz (Post 5902665)
Hi, my husband is an experience structural/architectural glazing/curtain walling project manager, we are keen to move to Dubai but have found difficulty finding suitable job opportunities for his field. Also he does not have a degree. There must be lots of glass work going on, he has many years experience running projects in the UK and Sydney, any pointers anyone can offer would be very much appreciated!! Abu Dhabi is also a consideration. Many thanks in anticipation.....

i am sure that you need a degree here for managerial positions here, but someone will correct me if i'm wrong...

you can take a look at wiki for a list of recruitment agencies, which will give you a starting point...

MM, xx

jenkinsinoz Feb 8th 2008 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5902685)
i am sure that you need a degree here for managerial positions here, but someone will correct me if i'm wrong...

you can take a look at wiki for a list of recruitment agencies, which will give you a starting point...

MM, xx

thanks for your reply, the agents don't seem to be coming back and I now realise after a bit more research it seems to be the degree issue. It seems like a bit of a dead end but his skills are very niche so I wonder if that would help. Has anyone heard of this type of role going to someone without a degree? Generally someone with his background isn't likely to have a degree but he has 10+ years experience.

Inselaffen Feb 8th 2008 5:14 am

I think a degree makes it easier but i don't think it is required.

Blue Cat Feb 8th 2008 6:50 am

my husband was employed as Sales Manager and doesn't have a degree, but maybe sales is different ;)

Madam Medusa Feb 8th 2008 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5903102)
my husband was employed as Sales Manager and doesn't have a degree, but maybe sales is different ;)

i said someone would correct me, lol...

MM, xx

Grace O Malley Feb 8th 2008 7:30 am

Originally Posted by jenkinsinoz (Post 5902748)
thanks for your reply, the agents don't seem to be coming back and I now realise after a bit more research it seems to be the degree issue. It seems like a bit of a dead end but his skills are very niche so I wonder if that would help. Has anyone heard of this type of role going to someone without a degree? Generally someone with his background isn't likely to have a degree but he has 10+ years experience.

There are lots of people here who are in Managerial Positions and dont have degrees!

In fact one of the biggest companies in AD their CEO doesnt have a degree but he does have 30 years exp in his field

toyboyak Feb 11th 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by jenkinsinoz (Post 5902665)

Hi no its quite possible to get job in this field where experience counts more then qualification and we have shortage of experienced project manager.

I will be intrested in hiring him if the experience is relevant and other things are ok

toyboyak Feb 11th 2008 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by toyboyak (Post 5917442)
Hi no its quite possible to get job in this field where experience counts more then qualification and we have shortage of experienced project manager.

I will be intrested in hiring him if the experience is relevant and other things are ok

Confucius Feb 11th 2008 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by toyboyak (Post 5917451)

You said...

toyboyak Feb 11th 2008 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 5917462)

You said...

????

Madam Medusa Feb 11th 2008 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by toyboyak (Post 5917487)
????

ignore him...he's from sharjah...:D

MM, xx

arbroath_abroad Feb 12th 2008 9:58 am

depends what field, but most PM positions in the construction industry, a degree makes absolutely no difference, its experience and proven results that count, not a bit of paper that in reality means eff all in the real world...

jenkinsinoz Feb 14th 2008 3:24 am

Originally Posted by toyboyak (Post 5917487)
????

Hi Sorry I didn't reply earlier. What company do you work for? Many thanks!