Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Project Management Opportunities in the UAE??

Project Management Opportunities in the UAE??

Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Shad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Project Management Opportunities in the UAE??

Hello,

I have long been interested in working abroad, and in particular, the UAE. I have tried various websites with no luck. Hoping someone here could point me in the right direction? where to look? what to do?

I am currently working as a Project Manager, with previous experience as a Project Engineer. Naturally would like to move in to a Project Management position.

So if there's someone out there who can help, it would be gratefully appreciated!

Cheers!!
Shad
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Project Management Opportunities in the UAE??

Originally Posted by Shad
Hello,

I have long been interested in working abroad, and in particular, the UAE. I have tried various websites with no luck. Hoping someone here could point me in the right direction? where to look? what to do?

I am currently working as a Project Manager, with previous experience as a Project Engineer. Naturally would like to move in to a Project Management position.

So if there's someone out there who can help, it would be gratefully appreciated!

Cheers!!
Shad
Doubtful you'll find anything on websites.

Get to some of the big agencies. Hill McGlynn have an office over there.

I'm currently using Maxim Recruitment - they have a good website.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to BE....read the wiki, search the forums....plenty of decent advice posted on a regular basis...
Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:45 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, this particular topic has been done before and recently too!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

Guys,
Definately approach recruitment agencies like Charterhouse, BBT or Hill McGlynn. I have always found Maxim to be awful, by the way.
However, if you really are keen, then approach the large construction guys directly (Carillion, Dutco Balfour Beatty, Laing O'Rourke, ACC,).
There is no other place in the world where they are so keen for good guys - the quantity of work out here is light years away from UK.
Be prepared to work 6-day weeks and fairly long days, but great experience for the CV and a great place to live (money is good, too).
However, the way of working out here is very different to uk - mostly direct labour, the quality of which is atrocious. You'll spend your entire day shouting and screaming with little or no effect.
Much better bet, by far, is to try and join client-side (EC Harris, Faithfull & Gould, Mace etc.) 5-day weeks and further up the foodchain.
PM me if you want anything more specific.
Good luck
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Shad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by twistopher
Guys,
Definately approach recruitment agencies like Charterhouse, BBT or Hill McGlynn. I have always found Maxim to be awful, by the way.
However, if you really are keen, then approach the large construction guys directly (Carillion, Dutco Balfour Beatty, Laing O'Rourke, ACC,).
There is no other place in the world where they are so keen for good guys - the quantity of work out here is light years away from UK.
Be prepared to work 6-day weeks and fairly long days, but great experience for the CV and a great place to live (money is good, too).
However, the way of working out here is very different to uk - mostly direct labour, the quality of which is atrocious. You'll spend your entire day shouting and screaming with little or no effect.
Much better bet, by far, is to try and join client-side (EC Harris, Faithfull & Gould, Mace etc.) 5-day weeks and further up the foodchain.
PM me if you want anything more specific.
Good luck
Thanks a lot for your advice, will look into your suggestion. As you can guess, I am finding it difficult to get a grip of this, so your advise has been very helpful.