Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Problem with Dollar Rent a Car UAE

Problem with Dollar Rent a Car UAE

Old Jun 24th 2019, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with Dollar Rent a Car UAE

Originally Posted by UAE visitor
They told us there is an 20 kph buffer in Abu Dhabi, but not one in Dubai... or perhaps it was the other way around.

What I see as a recurring theme in the responses is a tendency to blame oneself for what is an inhumane, computerized system... You had a 2,300 AED find within 45 seconds and you think that you deserved it? That seems ridiculous and it's inhumane.

If it is true and I am forced to pay more than $1,000 in fines from a one day car rental I will always hate the UAE and I will never forget or forgive the way that they treated me. I do not find it to be acceptable and I will never agree that I deserved it.
No I got 2 x 300aed fines 600 total, completely my responsibility! Why shouldn’t I accept what I’ve done wrong ? ..... bottom line is speed limits are clearly marked and presumably you had a speedometer in the car, tell me what more you need to avoid speeding fines.

From what you say the rental company warned you about the buffer not being applied in AD ..... what more do you want ? Most companies wouldn’t bother doing that.

You come across as being angry with yourself for getting caught.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe we were speeding and again, their inhumane, robotic system does not inform you that you are violating the law, so how would you know that you are incurring thousands in fines?
you don’t know ...... but you avoid them by sticking to the limit ..... pretty simple really
Old Jun 25th 2019, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe we were speeding and again, their inhumane, robotic system does not inform you that you are violating the law, so how would you know that you are incurring thousands in fines?
So basically you’re not happy that they enforce the law efficiently. Like it or not, you only have yourself to blame when it comes to a speeding fine.

I assume you’ve been on the website and now realise that you were speeding.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

They told us there is an 20 kph buffer in Abu Dhabi, but not one in Dubai... or perhaps it was the other way around.

What I see as a recurring theme in the responses is a tendency to blame oneself for what is an inhumane, computerized system... You had a 2,300 AED find within 45 seconds and you think that you deserved it? That seems ridiculous and it's inhumane.

If it is true and I am forced to pay more than $1,000 in fines from a one day car rental I will always hate the UAE and I will never forget or forgive the way that they treated me. I do not find it to be acceptable and I will never agree that I deserved it.
you have to be tonking it on the road from ABU Dhabi to Al Ain. It’s 160km along that road now.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

If he thought there was a 20 kph buffer then he would have been driving at up to 180kph. Which is quite scary.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by csdf
If he thought there was a 20 kph buffer then he would have been driving at up to 180kph. Which is quite scary.
im surprised the Yaris/larnca had it in it!
Old Jun 25th 2019, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the cruise control got stuck
Old Jun 25th 2019, 11:01 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Problem with Dollar Rent a Car UAE

Originally Posted by csdf
Maybe the cruise control got stuck

Old Jun 25th 2019, 5:01 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to be so careful these days . Even in Saudi, which I'm guessing has less cameras than UAE, there are more and more of them.

Cameras are signposted with limits. Stick to cruise control and you can't mess it up.

My last ticket was 3000 SAR for going through a red light.

On the plus side. Driving standards have improved slightly.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that as soon as the UAE leadership hear of the depth of your hatred, they'll be on the phone to sort this all out.

The best thing you could take away from this is that if you want the privilege of being a world traveller, you have to accept that other countries expect visitors to abide by their rules and to know about them before they visit. After all, you've paid a lot for this lesson in world travel. It would be a shame if it was wasted money.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

UAE visitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

It seemed to me that this thread was deleted as I got a non-loading error several times when I tried to read it.

I did finally get access to the AD police website, however the tickets that Dollar Rent A Car claims I committed are not on there. It's probably because they already paid them. I have sent very pointed emails to them demanding that they provide better proof that I committed these infractions. It should be pretty easy for them, for example on this link Link to AD police it's possible to go to a traffic fines archive. Not sure what's delaying them.

I've also called the AD Police twice and they keep saying that the rental car company has access to all the information including photos, and to ask them for proof.

Also called Consumer Protection and they asked me to email them the complaint.

It would have been great to have cruise control, unfortunately the car I rented didn't have it. In any case I don't believe I was doing 20 km over the speed limit. I'll never rent a car without cruise control again.

Re some other comments, I think we just have a difference of opinion re speed traps. I do think it is an inhumane system, and when combined with the rental car abuses it is almost Kafkaesque. Especially when the driver does not even know that they are racking up thousands in penalties, I do think it is inhumane and it is not good government. Sorry about that, we just disagree. Hope you can get over that.

However, the police and consumer protection office have tried to be helpful so I give them a lot of credit for that.

Old Jul 10th 2019, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello everyone,

It seemed to me that this thread was deleted as I got a non-loading error several times when I tried to read it.

I did finally get access to the AD police website, however the tickets that Dollar Rent A Car claims I committed are not on there. It's probably because they already paid them. I have sent very pointed emails to them demanding that they provide better proof that I committed these infractions. It should be pretty easy for them, for example on this link Link to AD police it's possible to go to a traffic fines archive. Not sure what's delaying them.

I've also called the AD Police twice and they keep saying that the rental car company has access to all the information including photos, and to ask them for proof.

Also called Consumer Protection and they asked me to email them the complaint.

It would have been great to have cruise control, unfortunately the car I rented didn't have it. In any case I don't believe I was doing 20 km over the speed limit. I'll never rent a car without cruise control again.

Re some other comments, I think we just have a difference of opinion re speed traps. I do think it is an inhumane system, and when combined with the rental car abuses it is almost Kafkaesque. Especially when the driver does not even know that they are racking up thousands in penalties, I do think it is inhumane and it is not good government. Sorry about that, we just disagree. Hope you can get over that.

However, the police and consumer protection office have tried to be helpful so I give them a lot of credit for that.
Be sure to let us all know how you get on from the demands that you’ve made. Just about every modern country worldwide has speed cameras and just about every established rental car company will charge fines to your credit card. Not really unique to UAE.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
You've got to be so careful these days . Even in Saudi, which I'm guessing has less cameras than UAE, there are more and more of them.

Cameras are signposted with limits. Stick to cruise control and you can't mess it up.

My last ticket was 3000 SAR for going through a red light.

On the plus side. Driving standards have improved slightly.
When they first started rigidly enforcing it (speed camera traffic fines) in Abu Dhabi for a spell, with no buffer, traffic improved greatly. This was because while drivers were going slower, there were less accidents, therefore less blocked traffic, less rubbernecking, etc. It was awesome and commute times noticeably improved.

Then it got rolled back and the old ways all returned.

For a spell I used to refuse to drive on the E-11 on Thursday nights. Way too much stupid driving, especially from partyers trying to get to Dubai for the weekend, and I got to the point where I felt it was only a matter of time.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Was fined $1000 for going through a red light on Salwa Road in Qatar during road works. I was waved through the light to allow a concrete truck into the site, but it made no difference I had to pay up. The camera showed me going through the light - nothing else mattered.