British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   probably asked a million times before - Construction jobs Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/probably-asked-million-times-before-construction-jobs-dubai-445558/)

taxfreemoney Apr 27th 2007 8:01 pm

probably asked a million times before - Construction jobs Dubai

Sorry this has probably been asked a million times before.

Husband is looking for a construction management position possibly Dubai.

He would be there alone while I am at home with the little un.

How easy are jobs to come by? He has worked as Contracts Manager for major UK housebuilders for 6 years and comes from joinery background. Has built high rise flats and new housing developments.

Sorry again if this is a repeated question. :mad:

Jingsamichty Apr 27th 2007 11:21 pm

Re: probably asked a million times before - Construction jobs Dubai

Good news : Jobs like that are very easy to come by. Your husband should register with www.totaljobs.com, they have loads of Middle East construction openings on a very regular basis. Also, a proper full-on blitz round all the Dubai based agents should see your husband's phone ringing off the hook.

Bad news : They usually don't pay much more than UK levels, the only benefit is the tax-free. Decent packages (e.g. housing, school fees, car allowances etc.) are being squeezed hard by sharply rising costs.

Good luck.

Josie123 Apr 30th 2007 9:36 am

my husband is in construction - they have just increased his hours from 6am - 5pm to 6am - 8pm...no extra pay, nothing.....

just make sure your husband speaks to ppl on site prior to accepting a job.

he was promised 5 days - made to work 6
promised 10 hours - now made to work 14 a day

twistopher Apr 30th 2007 9:51 am

I was recently in this position, and have now secured a good job - (fly out in 2 weeks).
BBT (Beresford Blake Thomas) are very good. Speak with them over here in Uk, send you CV to them and they will pass on to their Dubai Office. Tariq (or one of his colleagues) will probably call you for a chat and then arrange a load of telephone interviews for you. If all goes well, they'll fly your hubby out there for a face-to-face.
They are very keen to get hold of good staff, especially with Degree and ME experience.
I would suggest target the International companies rather than local ones, as they tend to look after their staff better.
Expect to work 6-day weeks (although some will work 11-day fortnights).
Be patient and all will come good.
Bear in mind that high-rise in UK is low-rise in Dubai/ME (unless you're talking about 35-storeys plus).
Why are you not joining him? I was brought up in ME and found it to be a great experience (weather, sports, education etc.). No problem if you have particular reasons, but we are going out there as a family (including 18 month old) and really looking forward to it.
Please let me know if you'd like anything further - tell me your private e-mail address and we can discuss without clogging up the forum.
Cheers,
Chris

shiftdelete Apr 30th 2007 11:51 am

Originally Posted by twistopher (Post 4717368)
......discuss without clogging up the forum.....

:( why take it 'off-line' unless of course its really personal....share stuff=help others- thats why original poster is here and has some decent comment/advice.

taxfreemoney May 7th 2007 11:06 am

Thanks all for your replies.

The reason I may not come out straight away is cos my husband has not worked abroad before so not sure what the change in lifestyle will be like. Also the school issue for my little girl who is nearly 5. I would want to be sure to get her a place in a school before moving out permanently.

CV is off to a few agencies but going to try BBT to see what they have to offer.

justin riseborough May 8th 2007 10:36 am

Originally Posted by taxfreemoney (Post 4747530)
Thanks all for your replies.

The reason I may not come out straight away is cos my husband has not worked abroad before so not sure what the change in lifestyle will be like. Also the school issue for my little girl who is nearly 5. I would want to be sure to get her a place in a school before moving out permanently.

CV is off to a few agencies but going to try BBT to see what they have to offer.

Going to BBT is an excellent choice. My CV was with three agencies, based both here in UK and in ME, had loads of interest, but BBT seemed to do things better and more efficiently.

I am now moving out to Muscat on th 9th June with wife and two kids.

Yippeeee

Blue Cat May 8th 2007 10:39 am

who are BBT we are looking for a change
BC

justin riseborough May 8th 2007 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4751643)
who are BBT we are looking for a change
BC

They are Beresford Blake Thomas, recruitment company from UK with an office in Dubai. The contact that I have there is Greg Cordell on 971 4 390 0375.

Check there website

http://www.bbtglobal.com/

Blue Cat May 8th 2007 11:35 am

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 4751765)
They are Beresford Blake Thomas, recruitment company from UK with an office in Dubai. The contact that I have there is Greg Cordell on 971 4 390 0375.

Check there website

thanks J, I am onto it!

Meow May 8th 2007 11:39 am

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 4751631)
Going to BBT is an excellent choice. My CV was with three agencies, based both here in UK and in ME, had loads of interest, but BBT seemed to do things better and more efficiently.

I am now moving out to Muscat on th 9th June with wife and two kids.

Yippeeee

Well done you.

x

littlejimmy May 8th 2007 11:59 am

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 4751765)

Check there website

Greg got me my job here. It's all his fault.

justin riseborough May 8th 2007 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4751893)
Greg got me my job here. It's all his fault.

Got me a job too. Like the way it worked for an agency too, in that he lets you sort out the salary etc, just gets both parties talking.

justin riseborough May 8th 2007 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4751816)
thanks J, I am onto it!

That is a pleasure, everybody on here has so far helped me (with advice or just reading the tag on to threads, bloody hilarious some of the tut being discussed), so thought high time that Mr Riseborough gave something back;)

Blue Cat May 8th 2007 1:36 pm

now I just need to convince the husband he wants a new job! either that or I am walking

:rofl: