British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Private Schools Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/private-schools-abu-dhabi-836637/)

RKI_83 Jun 16th 2014 7:18 pm

Private Schools Abu Dhabi

I am trying to get my kids into schools for the new academic year 2014. They are aged 3 and 6 years old. Ideally British Curriculum - I am open to put them on any curriculum, all the schools I have tried this week are saying they are full and have closed the waiting list!

Any advice?

busybee2 Jun 17th 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Private Schools Abu Dhabi

yep you will have issues.... big waiting lists.

the younger years are the worst for places

have you tried reach british school or ajyal school

RKI_83 Jun 17th 2014 6:02 pm

Cheers will try those two, at this rate we will be ending up in Al Ain.

Such a pain trying to find a place for the kids, guys at work suggested The International School of Choueifat, they are "flexible" with the student numbers - but I hear its very regimented.

Has anyone on this board got there kids into that school?

DelilahBlue Jun 19th 2014 5:49 am

I had both at Raha, then they moved back to Australia till June 2012. On their return to Abu Dhabi 18 months later, one was at Raha, the other was at GEMS American. I would not send either of my children to Choueifat.

busybee2 Jun 19th 2014 10:26 am

Originally Posted by RKI_83 (Post 11305683)
Cheers will try those two, at this rate we will be ending up in Al Ain.

Such a pain trying to find a place for the kids, guys at work suggested The International School of Choueifat, they are "flexible" with the student numbers - but I hear its very regimented.

Has anyone on this board got there kids into that school?

choueifat is a very rigid school, rote learning, gets good results, but they test them too much each week, no interaction with parents and teachers, teachers arent necessarily "qualified to degree level in subject areas" as the curriculum is their own. and if they are flexible with the numbers they will have too many in the classrooms, and its just the way it works in that sch

archie159 Jun 20th 2014 6:29 am

Suggest you list all the schools you have tried, and then we can see which ones you have missed (if any...).

RKI_83 Jun 20th 2014 6:45 pm

I have managed to get my kids secured at Diyafah in MBZ :)

Now on a hunt for a property!

busybee2 Jun 21st 2014 8:17 am

Originally Posted by RKI_83 (Post 11309982)
I have managed to get my kids secured at Diyafah in MBZ :)

Now on a hunt for a property!

that one and british reach and ajyal are really the only ones with places as they are new!

as i said get a sch sorted first and then a property there are more properties than schools.. look at mbz as that will be right on the doorstep

Yam Yam Jun 22nd 2014 6:59 pm

Hi does anyone have any information on Reach British school and its status at present? Near finished? In good shape? Teachers in place? Gossip?

Thanks

busybee2 Jun 23rd 2014 5:32 am

its nearly finished, i can see it they have painted the outside! if you have little kids and thats the only sch that is open to you then so be it... it will be fine, you can always move at a later date if a space becomes available "more suitable".

Yam Yam Jun 23rd 2014 8:00 am

Yes only space at present so may have to run with it. My son is at FS2 stage so should be ok. On waiting lists for numerous others so another option may present itself. Thanks for the update.

expathopeful Jun 23rd 2014 8:17 am

Just got a place at repton reem island after exhausting all other options.... It's not cheap but couldn't find any other FS 2 availability

Yam Yam Jun 23rd 2014 8:28 am

Not in AB at present so need to sit an assessment for repton when we arrive if we think its a better option for the money (No doubt it is) Also being on Reem is an issue as we plan to live down in Al Raha/Al Reef and I work in Mussafah.

FS2 spaces at Reach for sure, if your not stuck on repton?

What are your thoughts on Repton? worth the money? where are you living?

expathopeful Jun 23rd 2014 8:57 am

Just over the road from it on reem island... So location is good.... Fees of 55,000 sting a bit... Especially for a 4 year old... Didnt know reach had availability.... Thanks, I'm looking into that now.

I think the school looks amazing, I know she would love it there. All the classes and facilities are 5 star... The swimming pool is great too. I'd love to send her there as I know she would do really well but if Reach impress me too and they are cheaper I'm going to have to make a decision ...... Could be worse though... 2 weeks ago I thought she'd never get a place anywhere

Yam Yam Jun 23rd 2014 9:43 am

keep in touch and let me know how things go?

Is Repton worth a look despite the price? I have an option on an assessment for when I arrive

expathopeful Jun 23rd 2014 9:56 am

Id have a look if I was you..... problem is now I don't want her to go anywhere else now.... :(

Good thing is you don't have to pay any registration fees or anything until after your child has been accepted, so it wont cost you anything to go........ and the coffees alright too :thumbsup:

busybee2 Jun 23rd 2014 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Yam Yam (Post 11312377)
Not in AB at present so need to sit an assessment for repton when we arrive if we think its a better option for the money (No doubt it is) Also being on Reem is an issue as we plan to live down in Al Raha/Al Reef and I work in Mussafah.

FS2 spaces at Reach for sure, if your not stuck on repton?

What are your thoughts on Repton? worth the money? where are you living?

if you are looking at raha reef mussafah then its yasmina bisad reach british sch diyfah international and ayjal.

busybee2 Jun 23rd 2014 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by expathopeful (Post 11312392)
Just over the road from it on reem island... So location is good.... Fees of 55,000 sting a bit... Especially for a 4 year old... Didnt know reach had availability.... Thanks, I'm looking into that now.

I think the school looks amazing, I know she would love it there. All the classes and facilities are 5 star... The swimming pool is great too. I'd love to send her there as I know she would do really well but if Reach impress me too and they are cheaper I'm going to have to make a decision ...... Could be worse though... 2 weeks ago I thought she'd never get a place anywhere

they will be cheaper much cheaper repton cranleigh and bcad "really" expensive... all bling etc

busybee2 Jun 23rd 2014 4:15 pm

be aware that profit schools have asked for security deposit to paid now for next term..... non profit schools are not asking you to cough up

archie159 Jun 23rd 2014 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11312789)
they will be cheaper much cheaper repton cranleigh and bcad "really" expensive... all bling etc

Calling it "bling" is fatuous, at least for BCAD, and probably Cranleigh also (especially as its still a building site, so you'll have no clue whether it will be blingy or not). Unless by "bling" you mean better quality teachers and more facilities...

shiraz1 Jun 24th 2014 9:04 am

Whether you call it bling or not the arms race in private school sport facilities has been used to justify above-inflation fees rises for decades.

Millhouse Jun 25th 2014 6:13 am

Originally Posted by shiraz1 (Post 11313491)
Whether you call it bling or not the arms race in private school sport facilities has been used to justify above-inflation fees rises for decades.

exactly. Mrs Millhouse is a TA at our school. We have a newly refitted marble reception... no PVA glue for the kids to stick things together.

I love seeing how the money is allocated.

kaz911 Jul 7th 2014 12:47 pm

BCAD and Cranleigh are our choices. Cranleigh has absorbed a lot of the senior staff from the best schools in AD..... So everything is wobbling at the moment...

Repton is a solid LAST position. Repton is a greedy and not very kid friendly business/company (I don't consider them a school at all) - Our Abu Dhabi experience is equal to our fiends Dubai experiences.

Repton bought the nursery where we had our son - and within 2 weeks the place was plastered in advertising for 3rd party companies in child height and had lot of new "compulsory" fee's for "extras" (Cheap Made In China Uniforms for 2 years and above???)

Yam Yam Jul 8th 2014 3:24 pm

Any views on the British international school Abu Dhabi and belvedere?

Bocat Jul 29th 2014 2:31 pm

I'm interested in finding out more about the British International School Abu Dhabi too.

A friend who previously lived in Dubai also warned me off Repton in Dubai (not sure about AD) as she said they'd gone downhill.

Yam Yam Jul 29th 2014 2:44 pm

Got my son into BISAD in the end and am very happy with our choice having done a tour and met staff. It was a choice in the end as we had a few offers which wasn't the case until I arrived in AD. Visited Repton out of curiosity and to form my own opinion. It can be summed up fairly easily as a good school facility, but pretty soulless. Poor outdoor play options too due to tight space on the island. My tour was poor and was really centred around getting my reg fee. Very little actual info about the school was passed on!

Bocat Jul 29th 2014 2:53 pm

Thanks Yam Yam. If we move it'll be very last minute so I'm going to have to cross my fingers that we can get into BISAD (even though we've never seen it!). Expat life is just bonkers sometimes!

pippanda Jul 30th 2014 11:59 am

For a 3 year old, you should try Kids Academy..British curriculum..one located in Khalifa A and one in Al Bateem. FS1 is now 4.5 years old. Al Yasmina has a good reputation as well as Raha Int.

Himesh May 4th 2015 12:27 pm

Hi all my son got place in British International and Reton for FS2. Would appraise if some one can help me choose.

al dente May 5th 2015 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Himesh (Post 11636363)
Hi all my son got place in British International and Reton for FS2. Would appraise if some one can help me choose.

I am hearing really good things about BISAD. One friend had one son there, who now has two at Cranleigh, and said they were really happy with it but they moved to Sadiyaat, so it was untenable.