Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Private beaches in Jeddah

Private beaches in Jeddah

Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

REUBANZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private beaches in Jeddah

Am I right in thinking that if you're on a private beach (? an hotel) that (Western) women can wear bikinis, without getting into bother? If this is the case, do you pay an annual subscription to an hotel for this or just pay per visit?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Private beaches in Jeddah

No, I'm just trying to get some clarity on what I might be able to do without landing myself in any trouble
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Lawrence
Old Apr 9th 2013, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

La Plage is also the same - just down the road from silver sands - bikini no problems on any of the private beaches for westerners once you are inside.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou Dragonladyoz. Can I ask you what Doha is like? I have an opportunity to work there also and only today I've heard extremely positive things about it from someone who lived there for a few years
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

lol!!! Well, depends where I can make the most dollar maybe!
Old Apr 10th 2013, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

North Jeddah has a large number of clubs and hotels with private beaches. How will you get there ? Women cannot drive !
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Depending on how much in a taxi recommended by the hospital, a treat for days off!
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Taxis in Jeddah are actually affodable.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

I didn't mind Jeddah, enjoyed my time there - but then I'm not single and I had a driver for most of the time I was there. I also made sure that I didn't stop getting out and looking at things/going places. Was shielded from some of the problems as I wasn't working.

Doha is different - like everywhere it also has its downsides - one of which at the moment is that the entire town is a construction site - roads and buildings! But, overall it is a much nicer place to live than Jeddah - good facilities that are well maintained and generally not trashed within days of opening, parks, traffic is nothing like Saudi, can drive, no abeya, a drop of the grape and Kermit's missus available for purchase, movies etc But cost of living is a bit higher and here I'm back at work so that is a downside!!!

Silver sands vs La Plage - depends on what you want - La Plage has a nice cafe area with fans/umbrellas, grassed area etc - but the 'beachfront' is quite narrow so is a bit more like Europe with rows of chairs going back from the water. It also has a reef area that you can go snorkelling on. Silver sands has a cafe but last time I was there it had no shade/fans, no grassed area and the 'beachfront' is longer, with a shorter beach but more water as well as larger swimming space and pontoon. I suggest try each and then decide which suits.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You can use a "limousine", which is a classier taxi.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Indian Limo drivers that I knew had wives with them in KSA.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

butteredtoast is an unknown quantity at this point

If this is the case, do you pay an annual subscription to an hotel for this or just pay per visit?
Silver Sands seems to change its mind.
Sometimes, they will charge you on the day (50 SAR during the week, 100 SAR at the weekends... or at least those were the prices last time I was there).
Other times they announce that only members can use the beach, and promptly turn you away.