Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potentially Riyadh move adivice would be great

Potentially Riyadh move adivice would be great

Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:55 am
Just Joined

dickoa84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potentially Riyadh move adivice would be great

Hi all i was wondering if anyone would be able to help ive been trawling trough this forum trying to establish current compound costs and what you get for your money. Also a rough map of where compounds are around the city i would prefer a decent compound to te west of the city if there are any. So my questions are as follows

What are the current prices for comouds we would need a four bedroom place ideally and a western compound with a good standard of amenties and ideal for familes(alot to ask i know)

Compound if possible located on the west of he city of sonme sort of map to show where they are located around the city

Also prices wise what does this include and what currency are the prices in i would be bringing my wife and two children out with me there 1 year old and 3 weeks old so a family compound is essential

Any other advice would be great as what living costs we would require i know this varys from person to person but just roughly also what a car would cost to hire long term wise a 4x4 of a decent satndard. This will enable me to assess the offer i get made to ensure it meets the needs of my family

Thanks very much

Ads

PS Go easy on me its my first time post
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially Riyadh move adivice would be great

Originally Posted by dickoa84
Hi all i was wondering if anyone would be able to help ive been trawling trough this forum trying to establish current compound costs and what you get for your money. Also a rough map of where compounds are around the city i would prefer a decent compound to te west of the city if there are any. So my questions are as follows

What are the current prices for comouds we would need a four bedroom place ideally and a western compound with a good standard of amenties and ideal for familes(alot to ask i know)

Compound if possible located on the west of he city of sonme sort of map to show where they are located around the city

Also prices wise what does this include and what currency are the prices in i would be bringing my wife and two children out with me there 1 year old and 3 weeks old so a family compound is essential

Any other advice would be great as what living costs we would require i know this varys from person to person but just roughly also what a car would cost to hire long term wise a 4x4 of a decent satndard. This will enable me to assess the offer i get made to ensure it meets the needs of my family

Thanks very much

Ads

PS Go easy on me its my first time post
If I were you I would worry about availability more than price.....I assume you have to find your own accommodation?
There is a thread here on BE with compounds ,phone numbers and prices, you should find it through the search button.
Good luck.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

I am afraid Alexa's advice is correct. It is a case of taking what you can find. It may take you 6 months to get a decent compound and 2 years to find something that you really want. But you could be lucky.

prices circa SR 180,000 per annum furnished with use of compound facilities. Utilities extra.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice so far guys really appreciated. So utilities are on top of the rent? Also does anyone have a map of Riyadh with the compounds on as I'm looking for something to the west of the city waiting time isn't an issue as the postion isn't avaljble just yet.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice so far guys really appreciated. So utilities are on top of the rent? Also does anyone have a map of Riyadh with the compounds on as I'm looking for something to the west of the city waiting time isn't an issue as the postion isn't avaljble just yet.
It would surprise me if there was such a map......and worry me.

I think you should browse BE a bit and get some info on life in the Magic Kingdom.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Not to sound rude but given that the list of compounds has several addresses on it I would imagine it would'nt be difficult to create such a map in fact ive partially done it myself. Ive done alot of research hours worth, however I feel that a lot of the infomation is way out of date and therefor inaccuarte hence my request for advice.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not to sound rude but given that the list of compounds has several addresses on it I would imagine it would'nt be difficult to create such a map in fact ive partially done it myself. Ive done alot of research hours worth, however I feel that a lot of the infomation is way out of date and therefor inaccuarte hence my request for advice.
oh no, it's not rude...but I have never heard of such a map...and in light of security,it may not exist. Of course, if one wanted such a map, one could create it oneself.

See, the compound situation there is really tricky. There is no availability on the good compounds, there are waiting lists..some are as long as 2 years!
Some compounds may be "persuaded" to let you move up the list though.
The best thing is ,if the company to hire you has already villas on those compounds.

Sorry, can't help you with location.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Alexa I guess your meaning by persuding then financially rewarding the manager of such a compound. Hopefully then company will have something or some pull to be able to get something. To be honest I over research everything I should just wait to see what they come up with first. If utilities aren't included how much roughly do they amount to I imagine its telephone Internet water and electric which would be reuqired. I just want to go into the next stage with enough information to be able to gain the right package
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Alexa I guess your meaning by persuding then financially rewarding the manager of such a compound. Hopefully then company will have something or some pull to be able to get something. To be honest I over research everything I should just wait to see what they come up with first. If utilities aren't included how much roughly do they amount to I imagine its telephone Internet water and electric which would be reuqired. I just want to go into the next stage with enough information to be able to gain the right package
When I lived in Riyadh my utilities were included..so sorry, can't help with that.

Let me give you a list of the best compounds there.
1. Kingdom City compound , Manager is Mike Faheen, tel : 2750275
2. Eid Villas compound, Manager is Ahmed Fareed , sorry, don't remember the tel no.
3. Al Hamra
4. Arizona
5. Cordoba
6. Arabian Homes

In the order of my personal preference.
There are other compounds too of course, but they are not as good,IMHO.
If you want Western, those are the ones to go to IMHO.

But as I said, there are waiting lists, and some of them only rent to companies.
Wait and see what your company has for you. If they say "DIY", I would not take the job, especially not if you want to bring your family.

I loved my time in riyadh, and would have loved to go back, and although we had offers, they did not include housing on the "Big 6" so we did not go.
But , of course, that is my opinion, other may think otherwise.
Good luck.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Also does anyone have a map of Riyadh with the compounds on
I do yes. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

A map of compounds would probably not be a good thing. Their locations are well known to the locals, but it would not be advisable to put them all on one map. A tip is to search on Google maps the decent compounds are the ones with trees, swimming pools and greenery, this you can see on google. But as Alexa says you are wasting your time because the majority of compounds have a 5 year waiting list and they will not even speak to you. You don't move up the waiting list by waiting on the waiting list, you move up by networking and you are competing with some who are paying bribes to move up the list. First thing is that you need to get your employer to provide you with a villa on a decent compound. You then need to get here and work from there. Once on a compound your wife will attend coffee mornings at other compounds and she will need do do the work to move up the ladder.