Reload this Page >

Potentially relocating to KSA - Few queries

Potentially relocating to KSA - Few queries

Old May 4th 2015, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

bwbw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potentially relocating to KSA - Few queries

Hi All,

Potentially looking to relocate to KSA as a Mechanical Engineer with a UK company with a branch in KSA and I'm unsure about it to be honest, hope someone can answer the extensive queries I have....

I have been offered a salary of £60k per year with a £15k bonus at the end of my first year (should I survive) with all accommodation costs taken care of and flights home every 6 weeks for one week or every 12 weeks for two weeks

1. How safe is it to work in?
2. Within the compound I'd be living on what exactly is there to do? Back home in the UK I play football most nights or watch football... Is this something I could do whilst there?
3. What is the working hours (generally) like over there?
4. I've heard stories of people going from Saudi (KSA) to Bahrain at the weekend (Friday/Saturday) is this common occurance and something which people would recommend for shopping? a drink etc.
5. How are western engineers treated over there within society?
6. As a 29 year old single man would I be able to fit in within the compound as I'd be going alone without family etc.
7. Just how much is censored? Like on the internet do you have access to Spotify, youtube etc?
8. Is the allowance reasonable which I would be paid? All I should in theory require to pay would be food?
9. How easy is it to open a SABB bank account for transferring money back from KSA to the UK?
10. What is the typical working attitude of the nationals as I have heard it is almost lazy on site?

Many thanks for the time reading this and any help you could give would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris
Old May 4th 2015, 5:18 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially relocating to KSA - Few queries

Not on your list, but best to do some research how to become non-resident for UK tax and NI purposes. This will be 6th April 2017 at the very earliest for you, otherwise you will remain liable for full UK tax and NI contributions on your worldwide earnings. As a minimum you need to leave the UK to work full-time overseas, complete a full tax year and limit your visits back to the UK. Search online for 'UK Statutory Residence Test' and take your pick.

KSA will be what you make of it. Being tolerant and positive will help. If your job were easy, they'd do it themselves rather than importing an expensive expat.
Old May 5th 2015, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

super_hans is an unknown quantity at this point

From the top...
1. No worries
2. Most compounds have pools, tennis courts, squash courts, Gyms. Get your Bien subscription when you get here and you can watch more live football than Sky ever show.
3. Usually 45-48 hours a week
4. Yes it is.
5. Fine, but strong leadership and the ability to give very(very) clear instructions to the people working for you is vital.
6. Social life is entirely what you choose to make it.
7. Install a reliable VPN before you arrive, then no problems.
8. Looks about right.
9. Once you have your iqama takes about an hour. Don't send money back via Sabb, find a branch of Al moudi exchange, quicker and much cheaper.
10. The majority of the expat workers are Pakistani, Indian or Filipino...generally all good with the right encouragement. The locals are very much a mixed bag, I have a couple of guys who work for me who are frankly excellent, but the general reputation for laziness is not unjustified.

Hope that helps.
Old May 5th 2015, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

EK28 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband works as an engineer out in Riyadh. Is really enjoying the challenges and the people he works with are supportive. He has management responsibilities aswell. He plays football after work on a compound and a lot of golf if your into that. You should check which compound your on. He has great social life, lots of friends from other countries and lots of late night coffees. Good gyms out there aswell off compound.
Old May 7th 2015, 5:13 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EK28
My husband works as an engineer out in Riyadh. Is really enjoying the challenges and the people he works with are supportive. He has management responsibilities aswell. He plays football after work on a compound and a lot of golf if your into that. You should check which compound your on. He has great social life, lots of friends from other countries and lots of late night piss-ups. Good gyms out there aswell off compound.
FTFY!
Old May 9th 2015, 9:49 am
Just Joined

bwbw is an unknown quantity at this point

FTFY?
Old May 9th 2015, 9:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It's an acronym. "Fixed it for ya".

Us lot tend to do that when we're having a bit of a giggle.
Old May 10th 2015, 5:01 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be pedantic, but the distinguishing feature of an acronym is that it is pronounced as if it were a single word.

So not actually an acronym.
Old May 10th 2015, 5:04 am

More like an initialism.