Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Dubai - girlfriend??

Potentially moving to Dubai - girlfriend??

Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:51 am
Just Joined

danieljp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potentially moving to Dubai - girlfriend??

Iv been head hunted to go and work for a company in Dubai, and am currently in discussions about the role.

I currently live with my gf (and dog!) and wondered how easy it is for her to come with me? I had planned on getting engaged in the summer.

Also, seen lots of comments about cost of living, any advice on comparable salaries/cost of living would be great! Want to be able to save a good chunk for 2-3 years while I'm out there.

Thanks
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Dubai - girlfriend??

tell Cilla she needs a new hat
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:45 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danieljp
Iv been head hunted to go and work for a company in Dubai, and am currently in discussions about the role.

I currently live with my gf (and dog!) and wondered how easy it is for her to come with me? I had planned on getting engaged in the summer.

Also, seen lots of comments about cost of living, any advice on comparable salaries/cost of living would be great! Want to be able to save a good chunk for 2-3 years while I'm out there.

Thanks

welcome, you don't have to get married plenty of couples live together, just be discreet. Make sure you get a good housing allowance the rents are on the up here!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is, unless your gf gets a job you won't be able to sponsor her, she will have to do visa runs every month, easy if her passport is UK.

It is very expensive to set up and live here. If you want to give us an idea of your package then we can be more helpful. If you can only afford a small apartment it may not be suitable if you plan to bring your dog over. A lot of apartments stipulate 'no dogs'
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
The problem is, unless your gf gets a job you won't be able to sponsor her, she will have to do visa runs every month, easy if her passport is UK.

It is very expensive to set up and live here. If you want to give us an idea of your package then we can be more helpful. If you can only afford a small apartment it may not be suitable if you plan to bring your dog over. A lot of apartments stipulate 'no dogs'
That's no way to refer to his girlfriend - you don't know them.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

I'm just waiting on full details of the package but I know it includes relocation, visa, flights home plus more. What are the things I should be looking to have included?

Most things iv seen say its ok as long as you keep your head down. I know she would need visa runs until she found a job, how hard is that? Or could she continue her studying there? Currently in 3rd year at uni here but would take time out if we went. Can you get married in Dubai once you've moved there?

Also, what are going rates for decent apartments? What are other standard costs? It's hard negotiating a salary when you don't know and i don't want to just rely on them saying its good!! What is a decent salary there?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:38 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just waiting on full details of the package but I know it includes relocation, visa, flights home plus more. What are the things I should be looking to have included?
Find out what their housing allowance policy actually is, because it may affect you more than you realise right now. Remember, rent is not paid monthly here, it's paid in very large upfront lump sums that most people, especially new arrivals, can't afford to pay without being given it by their company or a bank.

If you're very lucky, they'll pay your rent for you and won't expect you to pay it back - this is most likely in the "traditional" expat industries like oil, gas and aviation. If you're not working in one of those sectors, it's more likely that they'll either leave you to come up with the lump sum yourself (many people have to get bank loans for this), or advance you the money and claim it back through your salary each month.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
it happens but better to be married, because you cannot sponsor her, so she will either have to find a job or do visa run each month, also if anything untoward was to happen it can get a bit messy, also some companies refuse to allow you to live together.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What do you do?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Tell us the package and we can tell you if it will float or not.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

I work in the cinema industry. Someone else from my company recently got offered a position by the same company but due to family circumstances he turned it down. From what I get at the minute the package total will be around 325-35000 AED in total, and include housing allowance, travel allowance, flights home, furniture allowance as a one off payment on visa issue, medical cover, and a freight allowance as a one off for moving over.

Is it normal for companies to help you out with the annual rent? It seems from what I have researched you have to pay that up front?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That's no way to refer to his girlfriend - you don't know them.

golden deceiver

A blonde woman who looks good from behind but munted from the front. Nice body, shame about the boat race!
Old Mar 21st 2014, 3:10 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Is it normal for companies to help you out with the annual rent?
Companies all make their own policies about that. By law, they don't even have to pay you a housing allowance.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

I work in the cinema industry. Someone else from my company recently got offered a position by the same company but due to family circumstances he turned it down. From what I get at the minute the package total will be around 325-35000 AED in total, and include housing allowance, travel allowance, flights home, furniture allowance as a one off payment on visa issue, medical cover, and a freight allowance as a one off for moving over.Is it normal for companies to help you out with the annual rent? It seems from what I have researched you have to pay that up front?
Just about doable but don't expect a Champagne Billy Ray look at me I'm in Dubai lifestyle.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:41 pm
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Just about doable
The OP didn't say how many people that salary was expected to support, but 35k all-in (i.e. you pay your own rent and school fees) is pretty much in the higher end of the ballpark for westerners with families. Indeed, we know many western families who are here on significantly less. That's not to say it'll be an easy life, but for plenty of people here it's far more than doable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.