Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potential job in Qatar

Potential job in Qatar

Old Dec 11th 2012, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Stuthebroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential job in Qatar

I work in the oil and gas industry and have a final interview for a three year secondment in Qatar. The company will be providing accommodation in Alfardan Gardens compound 1 or 2 and pay for my children's schooling, 12 & 13, with the exception of uniforms ans out of school activities.
My eldest son is flatly refusing to consider the move though I doubt he can look after himself as he has slight learning difficulties but that's a battle for another day.
I was wondering what would be classed as a decent salary for a comfortable lifestyle and saving some cash. The company also provide flights home twice a year along with a good medical package. I would be taxed as a UK employee as I would still be on UK payroll with a balancing process annually based upon my tax liabilities based upon the benefits I receive. Probably going to need two cars but the company help with that according to the guidelines.
My interview is in January and my wife can join me for a 5 day "pre-assignment" trip so we can take a look and see if we like the place.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Neil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really nice
Default Re: Potential job in Qatar

With the housing and schooling and flights paid for, there is little that you would need to spend money on (except for the cars as you have mentioned). food is relatively cheap compared to the UK. I lived in similar circumstances and saved basically 90% of my salary. I was on about £3000 per month, but this was tax free.
Petrol in Qatar is cheaper to buy than water, so you have no great expense there. I suppose it depends on what you want to do in your spare time that will dictate where your surplus income goes.
Neil
Old Dec 11th 2012, 7:57 pm
Banned

bahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nice

Stuthebroo

A £3000per month is not a Gulf salary for an O&G pro. Let us have a little more info regards what you do and then the readers can pffer some insight as to package.

Even if you are UK based with regards tax etc, the uplify should be substantia. Noone would consider a ME hitch for 30k!!!!
Old Dec 11th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey buddy

First off why would you still be required to pay UK tax? I think the strongest reason to come here would be the fact that its tax free.

I would advise you to try and speak to your agent and break your package down more. Find out exactly what your entitled to so there will be no surprises when you get here

I have only been here 2 days and have been very surprised how things are here. Sure ive been knocked back for RPs and things and been told to come back tomorrow but it really isnt that bad

P.s i work in the O&G industry also and im led to believe our agents seem to look after us no matter which company you work for

Ryan
Old Dec 11th 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

My current UK salary is £40+ plus annual bonus. I am involved in organising shipping scheduling for a major oil company and the post would be with QG designing a new system to calculate production data. Also looks like I'll need to support the eldest lad at least, my wife has grave reservations about going out to Qatar so may even have to consider going solo if I can negotiate favourable holiday terms.
The reason for the calculation of tax as if based in the UK is I would remain in the UK final salary pension scheme, very important, and at the end of the secondment I return to a post in the UK. A friend was under a similar deal when he was seconded from the Royal Fleet Auxillary to the US Marine Corp for three years.
The secondment will be handled by my UK HR dept so no agents involved just liaise with our company office in Doha.

Last edited by Stuthebroo; Dec 11th 2012 at 8:54 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 10:47 pm
NKL
Just Joined

NKL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

If your child has learning difficulties I would IN NO WAY take him out of a UK school. The school's in the Middle East won't be able to cater for his needs like a UK school does - presuming he has a statement of educational needs and this is being met in the UK
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Hi NKL, sorry I wasn't more specific but he is no longer in education and has been trying to find work in the catering industry having obtain an NV! level 2 in catering and hospitality.
Looks like I may have to go out on my own for the first year or at least till September if I get the job so we can try to get school places for the youngest and some provision ofr the eldest in the UK. My in laws live 2 miles away but the are in their 70's and help out a lot with my sister in law's family.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Stuthebroo
Hi NKL, sorry I wasn't more specific but he is no longer in education and has been trying to find work in the catering industry having obtain an NV! level 2 in catering and hospitality.
Looks like I may have to go out on my own for the first year or at least till September if I get the job so we can try to get school places for the youngest and some provision ofr the eldest in the UK. My in laws live 2 miles away but the are in their 70's and help out a lot with my sister in law's family.
12/13 seems a bit young to be no longer in education
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:34 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I would be taxed as a UK employee as I would still be on UK payroll with a balancing process annually based upon my tax liabilities based upon the benefits I receive. Probably going to need two cars but the company help with that according to the guidelines.
For the past 4 years since coming out here (UAE) I've been paid by my company's sister company (the sister company being a UK company), from UK into my UK bank account. I don't pay income tax or compulsory NI, and I've fully declared everything to the UK tax authorities. I've complied with the rules for being not resident and not ordinarily resident. I don't believe that my situation is exceptional, nor has been treated as such. So on the basis of the current rules, I don't see why you would be taxed; however, the rules are changing next year.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:31 am
Just Joined

It's not actually paying the taxman it is merely accruing the amount from my salary as if I was still based in the UK and an accountant appointed to represent me will calculate any money I may owe to HMRC for taxable benefits while on secondment. I would receive any money left once any tax liability is settled, that way I remain on the UK pay role and maintain membership of the pension scheme which is being closed to new starters.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mogs
12/13 seems a bit young to be no longer in education
I'd agree, I was talking about my 19yo son who is no longer in education. I'm hoping the other two kids would receive a very good education at the sort of school way beyond my current means.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:08 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not actually paying the taxman it is merely accruing the amount from my salary as if I was still based in the UK and an accountant appointed to represent me will calculate any money I may owe to HMRC for taxable benefits while on secondment. I would receive any money left once any tax liability is settled, that way I remain on the UK pay role and maintain membership of the pension scheme which is being closed to new starters.
Ah, as you were then. I remain on my sister company's pension scheme even though now (well, almost) my employment contract is no longer with the sister company.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

My current UK salary is £40+ plus annual bonus. I am involved in organising shipping scheduling for a major oil company and the post would be with QG designing a new system to calculate production data. Also looks like I'll need to support the eldest lad at least, my wife has grave reservations about going out to Qatar so may even have to consider going solo if I can negotiate favourable holiday terms.
The reason for the calculation of tax as if based in the UK is I would remain in the UK final salary pension scheme, very important, and at the end of the secondment I return to a post in the UK. A friend was under a similar deal when he was seconded from the Royal Fleet Auxillary to the US Marine Corp for three years.
The secondment will be handled by my UK HR dept so no agents involved just liaise with our company office in Doha.
Providing you are in Qatar for a full tax year and do not return to UK for more than 90 days (will be revised next year) you can arrange your salary to be tax free. I understand Starbucks have volunteered to pay tax unnecessarily to save their reputation but the rest of us don't worry about avoiding tax.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 6:56 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Providing you are in Qatar for a full tax year and do not return to UK for more than 90 days (will be revised next year) you can arrange your salary to be tax free. I understand Starbucks have volunteered to pay tax unnecessarily to save their reputation but the rest of us don't worry about avoiding tax.
Slight correction

To be classed as not UK resident you must be leaving to work abroad under a contract of employment for at least a whole tax year and
visits to the UK must be less than 183 days a tax year and average less than 91 days a tax year. This average is taken over the period of absence up to a maximum of four years.

Last edited by TopNik; Dec 13th 2012 at 6:59 am.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:23 am
Just Joined

The position will be for a three year period. Regarding the tax situation I have no control over how I arrange it as it is governed by the companies global relocation policy so I have to operate under the hypothetical tax scenario I described earlier with an annual rebate. I can't see me exceeding 90days per year in the UK so should get a healthy rebate on an annual basis.
The whole situation is complicated by the fact my eldest son refusing to consider the move and being unable to look after himself due to his learning difficulties so if I took the position it would be on an unaccompanied basis with me returning to the UK six times a year for a grand total of about 49 days per annum. Probably means I can't afford to take the job but I will attend the interview and see what the package is. It's advertised over a very wide pay scale but I'd need to be toward the top end to afford to live in Qatar while still running the family back home. I need to chat with a friend who spent three years in Qatar to see waht the cost of living is like.
Some great advice folks, keep it coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.