Reload this Page >

Potential job offer in Riyadh

Potential job offer in Riyadh

Old Mar 26th 2020, 11:35 am
Just Joined

ajpv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential job offer in Riyadh

Hello everyone
I've been approached by a recruiter out of the blue for a role in a Saudi insurance company based in Riyadh – I work in insurance in London currently.
Would say that it's a "middle management" type role
Early stages (1st interview) but the role sounds interesting so trying to understand a bit more about life in Riyadh - I lived in Kuwait as a kid and have travelled around most of the Middle East for business (inc Saudi) so not a complete noob
I've got a wife and 2 young girls (with another girl arriving at end of June) so that's a consideration. Eldest (4) has just started school in the UK.
First offer is SAR 60k per month including an accommodation and travel allowance – schooling on top at SAR 20k per year per kid. School allowance looks very low when I look at the British school fees!

Struggling to figure out if this is good or bad overall…

Any advice much appreciated
Old Mar 26th 2020, 1:27 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential job offer in Riyadh

I'm presuming you'll want to live in a compound because of the family, so based on that I'd say it's bad. The house on the compound is going to take a minimum 25% of your salary. And you're right , the school allowance won't go very far, so topping up those fees will take another chunk. Only you know what you're saving at the moment in London, but I don't think you'd be saving megabucks here either. Have you considered coming out on your own for 6 months to a year, see if you like it and so on. If you're on your own the numbers definitely work for you, with a family, no.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. We’re doing ok in terms of savings in the UK so would only consider this if it would substantially improve that situation. Doesn’t sound like it would as is.
I’ve seen a few threads on Riyadh compounds and they also seem pretty expensive...
Turning the question around a bit - what would you expect a middle management financial services package to be/include for a 5 person family?
Old Apr 26th 2020, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Legend_no7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey - any developments on your front? Would love to hear as I’m going through a similar predicament! Adding the tax saving in Riyadh vs new expenses (high rent in compounds, high school fees etc)
Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2020, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Would love to say I’ve made progress but hit a bit of an impasse!

School Fees (I’ve got 3 kids) and housing are sticking points but most annoying thing is an insistence on a 12 month renewable contract which doesn’t work for my family.

Would say less than 50/50 at this point.

Old May 2nd 2020, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

HB89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Could you please let me know which Insurer you were looking for? I'm waiting for an offer to be put forward by Tawuniya in Riyadh. The recruiter expects it to be in the range of £140,000-£160,000. It's a Head of' role. If I accept I will be moving over with my wife and child (20 months) and I want to plan my spend as best possible so that I can negotiate with confidence.

I would only consider the move if I can live in a really nice western compound, afford a decent safe car, save for holidays, able to help family in the UK and save for future financial security. I am not fussed about wearing/owning bling or eating out all the time. I enjoy cooking.

In addition to the above the company are offering:
- Tuition for up to 3 children
- 1 x Family Return Ticket UK-KSA
- Insurance discounts

Is the offer reasonable for the industry and role? Is it enough to live the above lifestyle requirements?

Many thanks
HB89
Old May 11th 2020, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

HB89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update - I've received an offer for £158k with £35k bonus. I'm certain this will plenty to live a great life in Riyadh. If anyone could paint a picture of what it could be that'd be most helpful.
Old May 11th 2020, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HB89
Update - I've received an offer for £158k with £35k bonus. I'm certain this will plenty to live a great life in Riyadh. If anyone could paint a picture of what it could be that'd be most helpful.
You’d be better off starting your own thread rather than hijacking the OP’s - people may miss your post here.

HTH.