Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potential Job Offer - Abu Dhabi

Potential Job Offer - Abu Dhabi

Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Re: Potential Job Offer - Abu Dhabi

we simply dont take the piss, it is when people jump on the bandwagon and do as you suggest that they will revoke. however so far,so good
Fair play. If only all companies (and employees) were so sensible.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:31 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

My company provided an IP phone with a US number so I can call them for free. Added bonus: my entire family lives in the same region so those calls are free.

I'd never heard of an IP phone but this thing is wonderful.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Damn my local package I have to pay for everything.

Still, I don't really see the difference between having an allowance or a larger salary. A larger salary is better as you get the end of service benefit and a choice on where it is spent.

Company provided accomodation is something else - and different from an allowance - company provided accomodation means that they take the risk of rental increases but you are at the mercy of your employer... I know of some who where kicked out of Al Raha villas to be put into flats on the Island.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear. Sounds like I'm gonna have to wait and see what they have to say next week and keep my fingers crossed we can find a job for my wife. I am still shocked to see how expensive the region is, I have to admit I thought it would be really really cheap and that my salary would be mostly banked. connected point, If I keep my mortgage running here in the UK, and transfer the payment back on a monthly basis, where do I stand with TAX? I stay ina small country town in Scotland, and took a rather large mortage, paying +/- £ 1k GBP p/month in Mortgage/Deposit Loan, however only likely to get +/- £300 GBP p/month in rental. Penalty is so high to get out of the Mortgage deal that I can't afford to sell it before Sept 2010. However all subject to any tax implications of sending money back regularly while abroad. Does anyone do this?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
oh dear. Sounds like I'm gonna have to wait and see what they have to say next week and keep my fingers crossed we can find a job for my wife. I am still shocked to see how expensive the region is, I have to admit I thought it would be really really cheap and that my salary would be mostly banked. connected point, If I keep my mortgage running here in the UK, and transfer the payment back on a monthly basis, where do I stand with TAX? I stay ina small country town in Scotland, and took a rather large mortage, paying +/- £ 1k GBP p/month in Mortgage/Deposit Loan, however only likely to get +/- £300 GBP p/month in rental. Penalty is so high to get out of the Mortgage deal that I can't afford to sell it before Sept 2010. However all subject to any tax implications of sending money back regularly while abroad. Does anyone do this?
you have to be out of country for a whole tax year in order to not pay tax. so if you come out now you have to start from april next year, so a year and a half then instead of one year. not sure with regarding mortage etc.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know why people think its cheap here, look at the price of rents. 250k dhs for a little house
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
i dont know why people think its cheap here, look at the price of rents. 250k dhs for a little house
indeed - also how over priced stuff is in the shops.

The only things cheap here are nann breads and petrol.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Brains1983
If I keep my mortgage running here in the UK, and transfer the payment back on a monthly basis, where do I stand with TAX?
Assuming you are out for a complete tax year April 5th 2010 until April 6th 2011 and do not go back to the UK for more than 90 days per year you should not pay income tax.
Moving money back to the UK to pay your mortgage should not be taxed either. You only get taxed on interest earned in the UK.
One of the Tax Guru's on here can give you more acurate advise.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 954RR
Assuming you are out for a complete tax year April 5th 2010 until April 6th 2011 and do not go back to the UK for more than 90 days per year you should not pay income tax.
Moving money back to the UK to pay your mortgage should not be taxed either. You only get taxed on interest earned in the UK.
One of the Tax Guru's on here can give you more acurate advise.
Ah OK, so if I transfer amounts back to the UK to cover the mortgage only (and not into any savings accounts), then it would appear to be OK?

Are the banks rates decent enough for sending transfers back to the UK, or would any of you recommend another agency/company?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Right I am out of my comfort zone here and you should check with someone more knowledgable but as far as I am aware you can still use you personal allowance in the UK. So that covers you for 6 grandish of interest and if you open a normal savings account you will be paying the 20% as normal anyway unless you can open it paid gross instead of net.
Not sure about the best way to transfer but most people (from what I have read on here) just do a direct bank transfer to their UK account. You will have to pay a transfer fee and of course watch out for the exchange rate which has moved a lot since the pound has improved.
If you can open an account with the same bank as in the UK I think the transfer costs are cheaper.
Right best shut up now, sit back and wait to be shot down.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right I am out of my comfort zone here and you should check with someone more knowledgable but as far as I am aware you can still use you personal allowance in the UK. So that covers you for 6 grandish of interest and if you open a normal savings account you will be paying the 20% as normal anyway unless you can open it paid gross instead of net.
Not sure about the best way to transfer but most people (from what I have read on here) just do a direct bank transfer to their UK account. You will have to pay a transfer fee and of course watch out for the exchange rate which has moved a lot since the pound has improved.
If you can open an account with the same bank as in the UK I think the transfer costs are cheaper.
Right best shut up now, sit back and wait to be shot down.
The best (cheapest and best rate) is to use UAEexchange, just turn up with a wad of cash, your passport and join the queue...

I generally find the rate is 5-7% better than HSBC and the same day charge is 60Dh, compared to 100ish with HSBC

They will handle any amount of money, I once took 300,000Dh there in 1000Dh notes, no problem, no questions asked...
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

You only get taxed on interest earned in the UK.
There is a form you can fill out to declare your non-resident status and then you don't have to pay tax on interest either.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
The best (cheapest and best rate) is to use UAEexchange, just turn up with a wad of cash, your passport and join the queue...

I generally find the rate is 5-7% better than HSBC and the same day charge is 60Dh, compared to 100ish with HSBC

They will handle any amount of money, I once took 300,000Dh there in 1000Dh notes, no problem, no questions asked...
OK so I can turn up with a bag of cash at one of the UAEexchange places and they will convert and transfer the money to my UK account?

I had assumed that the UAEexchange places just converted one currency in cash to another i.e like at the airport.

Should I be concerned about giving them my Bank details to transfer the money ?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK so I can turn up with a bag of cash at one of the UAEexchange places and they will convert and transfer the money to my UK account?

I had assumed that the UAEexchange places just converted one currency in cash to another i.e like at the airport.

Should I be concerned about giving them my Bank details to transfer the money ?

Exactly that. It's called "bank to bank"

I must admit I was nervous the first time, but I have used them several times now without a problem (I always go to the same girl and she is always amused by the amounts as most customers send 200Dh etc). The best bit is that you can ask for 'volume discounts' and negotiate the rate. I always take my blackberry for live pricing as a tool in this.

Depending of the day of week and timing of cut offs the same day service may take a day and a half.

They even gave me a membership card so I no longer have to take my passport or bank details along with me.

If you are really nervous about them having your bank details, send the money to a 'holding account' and then do a separate UK-UK transfer from there. That way they would only have the details of a bank account with nothing in (not that they can do anything with your details anyway)
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info EM
I will go along there and give it a go as I have been amassing a surplus in my local account and would like to put it to good use in the UK earning me some interest. Besides which it has to get there at sometime in the next year anyway.
Regarding being nervous about them having my bank details, I supposed I am influenced by all the information around internet scams whereby people try and get hold of your bank details so giving them out freely is a bit nerve racking.

If I can get a better rate this way then it looks the way forward as the rate through the bank is not that good and the exchange rate seems to have got worse ever since I arrived.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.