Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potential Expat Seeking Advice

Potential Expat Seeking Advice

Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Expat Seeking Advice

Originally Posted by typical
Honestly, sounds like Google. I know people who had 25+ interviews before being employed there.
I think there are a few graduate programmes like that in the UK but in Dubai? This place doesn't really "do" fresh western graduates does it? I'm assuming everyone here working an expat deal has a degree as a minimum requirement of entry but it's rare to hire any western expat without an additional minimum of 3 years relevant experience. As much as anything else because it can make the visa process that much harder. Plus 20,000 people work for Google - would you need to keep that a secret? I'll go for a government organisation on this one....

Jinsuko - who is warmest here?!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It's the OP's first job, so possibly their first proper interview process. Perhaps their definition of grueling isn't the same as the rest of us?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:23 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
I think there are a few graduate programmes like that in the UK but in Dubai? This place doesn't really "do" fresh western graduates does it?
Yes, in some industries. I interview undergraduates on behalf of my employer.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:24 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jinsuko
@Typical - From my own research I found The Marina and JBR seemed to be the most suitable locations also, I will look further into these areas.
JBR is a large development in the Marina area.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:56 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, sounds like Google. I know people who had 25+ interviews before being employed there.
I know a few people who work in senior positions for Google and they had strange interviews for sure (asked about dolphins and chewing gum elasticity for example), but not over 3-4 months and this would definitely not be the case for graduates. They do have a supposedly very good graduate programme and I'm sure they vet their people thoroughly, but it just doesn't sound quite right. Besides Google down here in the desert would be getting the sharpest of the sharp from the sub-continent for a fraction of the price (like everyone else)...
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:02 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It's the OP's first job, so possibly their first proper interview process. Perhaps their definition of grueling isn't the same as the rest of us?
This is true. I had an interview with BBC Technology (spun off now I think) about 10 years ago and that was pretty awful. Imagine being led into a room where you are told to sit on a small chair and there is a semi-circle of desks in front of you with 8 people taking turns in asking you all kinds of weird questions, both personality and skills related. The end result for me was that even if they had offered me the job I would have turned it down as I wouldn't feel comfortable working with those people after that experience..
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:09 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

JBR is a large ugly development in the Marina area.
I've corrected that for you
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:16 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
This is true. I had an interview with BBC Technology (spun off now I think) about 10 years ago and that was pretty awful. Imagine being led into a room where you are told to sit on a small chair and there is a semi-circle of desks in front of you with 8 people taking turns in asking you all kinds of weird questions, both personality and skills related. The end result for me was that even if they had offered me the job I would have turned it down as I wouldn't feel comfortable working with those people after that experience..
Half-way through a final interview with the MD, FD and a couple of others of a major multinational I stood up and said words to the effect that I didn't like their manner and I didn't believe they believed I could do the job, and walked out. They got me on the phone shortly afterwards and said they were just testing; eventually I took the job but the MD turned out to be exactly the same (the others were OK). I left 3 1/2 years later because of him--should've left earlier, he turned out to be a completely negative influence on all my colleagues. Its a bit like people who are rude to waiters (well, the ones who don't deserve it)--generally they're arseholes.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I went for a university interview (at Hull ) and they asked me about being stranded without food on a desert island with some mates - if they died first, would I eat them to keep myself alive?

No... I'd just prop myself up against a palm tree, and wait with dignity for the inevitable........

Apparently that was the 'wrong answer' and I became the only person in history to fail to get into Hull University (where degrees are usually given away in packets of Corn Flakes).
Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:09 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I went for a university interview (at Hull ) and they asked me about being stranded without food on a desert island with some mates - if they died first, would I eat them to keep myself alive?

No... I'd just prop myself up against a palm tree, and wait with dignity for the inevitable........

Apparently that was the 'wrong answer' and I became the only person in history to fail to get into Hull University (where degrees are usually given away in packets of Corn Flakes).
To 'ull and back.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:37 am
Just Joined

5herry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I recently moved to work in Dubai Internet City to - so hope I can help:

1) What Apartments, Studios do you guys recommend which are close to Dubai Internet City.

It really depends on your budget but Dubai Marina is great with Torch Towers and Ocean Heights having the best location and finishing. Both are walkable to DIC (15 - 20mins) and 1 bed averages at 70 - 80k a year.

If you're looking for something cheaper, Tecom is also great, for example, API tower or Tecom Tower 1.

2) Typically what sort of package is generally offered to expats in terms of Benefits / Bonuses such as Medical Care and as a benchmark, how much should I be looking to earn as a UK Graduate in Dubai.

In an ideal world:
[LIST][*]Home allowance - similar to a terriritoral allowance in the UK(but mine wasn't enough to cover my rent)[*]Full medical insurance[*]One-off relocation allowance for shipping or furnishing your apartment[*]Flight allowance to go back home once a year[*]Few weeks hotel accomadation to settle - I would try for 4 weeks[LIST]
But it is dependent on the company

3) Finally, quite possibly the most important for me. What are the procedures to transfer or send money back to my UK bank account, potentially avoiding being taxed. Also what bank do you guys recommend? I bank with HSBC in the UK would it be wise to do the same here or is there a high chance of them cross-talking with regards to my finances?

Speak to HSBC before you leave as they can arrange to have a savings account opened here and in Jersey before you leave. You can't get a bank account with cheque book & card until you have a residency visa.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Dean

Interesting. I interviewed a band for my zine some years ago who have a very nautical theme, and asked them which band member they would eat first if stranded at sea.

Hull University has a quite decent research program. I remember talking to a large German who was intent on finding liquid crystals. Hardly a better place to be a poor student I'd say, and a cracking music scene. Just shame about the locals really.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Interesting. I interviewed a band for my zine some years ago who have a very nautical theme, and asked them which band member they would eat first if stranded at sea.

Hull University has a quite decent research program. I remember talking to a large German who was intent on finding liquid crystals. Hardly a better place to be a poor student I'd say, and a cracking music scene. Just shame about the locals really.
I interviewed a band for my zine some years ago who have a very nautical theme, and asked them which band member they would eat first

I wouldn't eat the band - I'd eat their equipment and instruments.......

WARNING: Wordplays on musical instruments and food approaching:

The drumsticks..... the bass..... (trying to think of a few more)

If I did eat one of the group, I'd start with his mullet...........
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had to do 25... but, Mubadala set up 7 back to back (inc. lunch so 8 really) interviews in an 8 hour day. Naturally, I suggested we just meet for a coffee at starbucks instead.

Current place was 7 over a couple of visits. Nothing like a bit of group think and arse covering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.