Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Postponing vehicle license renewal

Postponing vehicle license renewal

Old May 10th 2012, 1:20 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Postponing vehicle license renewal

The jeep is due for renewal this month - however I can drive it to get a service and then to then test centre until mid July at the earliest.

Anyone know if there is a procedure to postpone this renewal?
Old May 10th 2012, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Postponing vehicle license renewal

There's a one month grace period which is covered by the 13th month on your car insurance. If you can do it within this time you'll be ok. Saying that I know lots of people that don't seem worried about not re-registering their car for months or years on end. The fine is something silly like 10dhs a month, but you might run into trouble if you have an accident or get pulled over by the police.....
Old May 11th 2012, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fezzer
There's a one month grace period which is covered by the 13th month on your car insurance. If you can do it within this time you'll be ok. Saying that I know lots of people that don't seem worried about not re-registering their car for months or years on end. The fine is something silly like 10dhs a month, but you might run into trouble if you have an accident or get pulled over by the police.....
yes in ad if you go over your 13th months then they will charge you 10 dhs per month, and you will get charged the day before the end of the 13th month ie dont leave it to the date of renewal. as long as your insurance is renewed then your car is safe to be parked/driven etc, but as mentioned if you have an accident they will fine you for not having a current registration and you may get into a lot of trouble, they have been cracking down on cars not being registered properly each year, because usually people do not insure them too!
Old May 11th 2012, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

I've been told that you will be ok so long as it is insured, and also that you have the vehicle tested and it passes.

Why do you want to wait?
Old May 11th 2012, 11:08 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
I've been told that you will be ok so long as it is insured, and also that you have the vehicle tested and it passes.

Why do you want to wait?
I'm recovering from Achilles tendon surgery so it's impossible to drive until at least mid July.

I'll insure it before driving but just can't take it to the test centre...
Old May 11th 2012, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I'm recovering from Achilles tendon surgery so it's impossible to drive until at least mid July.

Is it not possible for a friend to take it with you as a passenger and you just sign the forms?
Old May 11th 2012, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy

anyone can do it for you. i have always done all our cars over the many years even if in my hubs name he has never done it, and i have done my friends as well.
Old May 11th 2012, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Is it not possible for a friend to take it with you as a passenger and you just sign the forms?
anyone can sign the forms too.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:08 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Ada used to have a service where a bloke would collect your car and register it for you for 50 aed.

Or just leave it and do it when you can, you're not driving it so no issues.

I just did one 3 years out of date and apart from the fine no issues. It wasn't on the road though, desert toy that was sitting in the garage.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

I've been using Midland Motors for years. Excellent service and they charge about Dhs 300 I think. Tel 04 3967521.
Old May 11th 2012, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shiva
Ada used to have a service where a bloke would collect your car and register it for you for 50 aed.

Or just leave it and do it when you can, you're not driving it so no issues.

I just did one 3 years out of date and apart from the fine no issues. It wasn't on the road though, desert toy that was sitting in the garage.
yep thats right if you have full insurance etc axa will do it for free for you.
Old May 11th 2012, 5:46 pm