British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Postal service in Dubai! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/postal-service-dubai-879792/)

Kakawax Jul 2nd 2016 2:13 pm

Postal service in Dubai!

I know you will laugh at my naiveté.. after 3 months here I should know better than to expect something as logical and cost effective as a functioning postal service, but since cards and letters from family and friends in the UK have consistently failed to arrive I have to ask; what is the best way to send and receive letters and packages to and from the civilized world..?

hnd Jul 2nd 2016 6:22 pm

Re: Postal service in Dubai!

If your mail is being sent to your home address it won't be delivered. Almost all mail has to be delivered to a POBox, the exception being some people who pay extra to EmPost to have mail delivered to a box affixed to the outside of their property. Most people we know have what little mail they receive sent to their office address. To send mail/packages you have to go to a Post Office.

hnd Jul 2nd 2016 6:23 pm

For important mail we always use a courier service.

mission Jul 3rd 2016 8:38 am

there is no postal service in the UAE....anything you want sending to you, without having it couriered to you, needs to be addressed to a PO Box number. As HND above mentioned, most folks use their company PO Box number.

Sabi Star Jul 6th 2016 8:46 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 11991882)
If your mail is being sent to your home address it won't be delivered. Almost all mail has to be delivered to a POBox, the exception being some people who pay extra to EmPost to have mail delivered to a box affixed to the outside of their property. Most people we know have what little mail they receive sent to their office address. To send mail/packages you have to go to a Post Office.

Most Emaar flat building have boxes for all the flats in them. Where I am we get weekly delivery ( used to be twice weekly). I get stacks of mail. The building gets piles of mail which concierge sorts and puts into the flats's boxes. I have never noticed any missing mail. We all have a communal box number but it comes to the actual building.

Sabi Star Jul 6th 2016 8:50 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11992236)
there is no postal service in the UAE....anything you want sending to you, without having it couriered to you, needs to be addressed to a PO Box number. As HND above mentioned, most folks use their company PO Box number.

There is a postal service in UAE - actually I have found it quite good. To post mail I get stamps in MOE and post letters in the red post boxes in MOE. Other wise go to the Post Offices to post mail.

hnd Jul 6th 2016 11:32 am

To clarify then, there isn't a postal service such as is generally available in the UK whereby mail is delivered direct to your door. The chances of a letter or parcel being delivered to Villa 1234, Street/Road/Way 1234, Jumeirah (or wherever), Dubai are pretty much non-existent

Sabi Star Jul 6th 2016 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 11995281)
To clarify then, there isn't a postal service such as is generally available in the UK whereby mail is delivered direct to your door. The chances of a letter or parcel being delivered to Villa 1234, Street/Road/Way 1234, Jumeirah (or wherever), Dubai are pretty much non-existent

Agreed - but people should become aware of that within their first few days of being in UAE! The post offices themselves I have always found very obliging and generally get push to the head of the queue in places like Al Quoz.

Dubaiexile Jul 6th 2016 7:05 pm

So what happens to all the mail that ends up in Dubai and is then not delivered???

hnd Jul 7th 2016 6:41 pm

If the sender puts their address on the outside of the letter/parcel it is fairly often returned to sender. I guess the rest just gets thrown away/ recycled.

mission Jul 9th 2016 11:01 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 11995281)

exactly my point!

you can only get something delivered to you if it addressed to a PO Box number, which i did say in my initial comment!

jam25mack Jul 10th 2016 7:55 am

They have stopped sending me my mail as my Po Box number is 3 digits so they must think its incomplete. FML!

Anything of any importance use a courier. Ditto with anything coming in, use shop and ship or similar. It's pretty cheap and at least you know someone has to sign for it and you can track it at each stage of its journey.

Eeyore Jul 10th 2016 5:23 pm

I'm sure that in about 2006-7, it was announced that all streets in Dubai would be getting unique names, with the intention of eventually starting "traditional" postal deliveries direct to individual homes.

Last year, I read that the committee that was coming up with the street names was dissolved without a reason being given.

movingout_2015 Jul 12th 2016 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Kakawax (Post 11991741)
I know you will laugh at my naiveté.. after 3 months here I should know better than to expect something as logical and cost effective as a functioning postal service, but since cards and letters from family and friends in the UK have consistently failed to arrive I have to ask; what is the best way to send and receive letters and packages to and from the civilized world..?

You'r best bet would be to go get a P.O box there you will revive a 4 digit number that you will use to get your mail, it is not that expensive most post offices do it by the year. if not find a friend with one and use his just put you'r name and number on the parcel/card being sent then when it arrives they call you. To be honest not a bad system when you adapt to it.

movingout_2015 Jul 14th 2016 4:50 am

Originally Posted by movingout_2015 (Post 12000375)
You'r best bet would be to go get a P.O box there you will revive a 4 digit number that you will use to get your mail, it is not that expensive most post offices do it by the year. if not find a friend with one and use his just put you'r name and number on the parcel/card being sent then when it arrives they call you. i have not long ordered digital weighing scales classified adds for sale sites, we will see how it goes. To be honest not a bad system when you adapt to it.

http://sg-live-01.slatic.net/p/digit...-1-product.jpg

I have just received these digital weighting scales today, cheap as chips and they work really well, good quality product. So it is possible for everyone to do!!

GOOD LUCK!!