Reload this Page >

Possibly moving to "the kingdom" need some advice

Possibly moving to "the kingdom" need some advice

Old Oct 21st 2010, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Miner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly moving to "the kingdom" need some advice

Hi,

First of all let me say this forum is very very useful! I have looked about over the last few days and gleamed some very useful information but now i think it will help if i can pick your collective brains!

At the moment I am in the market for a job in the extractive industries, and I have had an offer from "the magic kingdom". So I would like to see what people think of it and advice they have so i can decide between Saudi and Aus.

the job is 26 days on site 2 travel (to the UK) and 14 off site. its a 7 day a week thing, 12 hours a day while on site blah blah blah, standard mining stuff (its not a new thing to me, thats just how it works). they pay the flights and transport, i live on site, food, accomodation etc paided by them. 20 days holiday time and 11 paid public holidays, 3 months equiv. bonuses.

the pay is tax free and a very good wage, which im sure the UK tax man would love. I know I am only allowed back to the UK for 91 days to avoid his grubby little mitts and thats ok, i can always take a long holiday.

They will help me open a saudi bank account to store my hoard and i get nice Bupa gold medical insurance.

I would like to know from people a couple of things:

which offshore bank have people found the most helpful and with the lowest fees? i would be paid in SAR
Any tips on avoiding the tax man?
is the rotation reasonable?
Are there any tips on living
How is the climate? i would be 300+km inland from jeddah
and generally peoples expericenes living in saudi, how do you find the people and the lifestyle

my other choice is Aus for less money but its a fly in fly out to perth.

Thanks in Advance
Old Oct 21st 2010, 5:54 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possibly moving to "the kingdom" need some advice

Maaden Gold Mine by any chance? Take the Aussie job is my advice.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

The major issue I see is the rotation - 2 weeks in the UK every 6 weeks right?

That means about 120 days/year in the UK - you will struggle to demonstrate that you are non-resident based on the '4 year average' of days outside the UK. You really need to keep days in the UK down to less than 90 per year to be non-resident (amongst other criteria).

If you cannot demonstrate non-residency, then tax will be due in the UK, although no income tax in KSA.

If you go to Aus, there will be tax to pay there, but you can off-set your UK tax against this to some degree under the double taxation agreements.

I think this is the key issue you need to get advice on.

Weather inland will be hot (40C +) and dry in summer, warm and at times chilly overnight in winter.

On your work schedule and likely location, I suspect you will see little of the country except when transiting in and out - some might say that is no bad thing.

As I fulfil the criteria foe being non-resident in the UK I maintain UK bank accounts rather than 'off-shore'. Yes, I pay tax on the interest earned, but the rates on the accounts I use are better to begin with, there are no other charges and the accounts are protected under the FSA schemes. It's a choice some find controversial however.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 7:54 am
Just Joined

yes it works out at roughly 150 days of the year not working. its 2 weeks out of every 6 e.g. 4 on 2 off. I have been living abroad for the last year so i have a good amount of days accrued out of the UK.

I figure a few big holidays might be on the cards then if i choose that option

Its a good guess at the job, I cant say if your right or not until I take it. confidentiality and all.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:48 am
Just Joined

anyone else have any advice on this?

Does anyone else work FIFO? and have a view on that lifestyle?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:58 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miner
Its a good guess at the job, I cant say if your right or not until I take it. confidentiality and all.
All I will add then is that, having visited Maaden Gold Mine roughly five years ago, I wouldn't work there if they paid me SR100,000 a month. You have presumably been there for a look see.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:14 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
All I will add then is that, having visited Maaden Gold Mine roughly five years ago, I wouldn't work there if they paid me SR100,000 a month. You have presumably been there for a look see.
don't be daft, they rely on us for that information
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:22 am
Just Joined

mines are mines, i worked in Africa for a bit so to be honest it would have to be pretty bad to be anything new to me.

Site work isnt really the issue, its just how do people find a 4/2 lifestyle? is it workable?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:56 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miner
mines are mines, i worked in Africa for a bit so to be honest it would have to be pretty bad to be anything new to me.

Site work isnt really the issue, its just how do people find a 4/2 lifestyle? is it workable?
Did an 8/4 rotation in the Magic Kingdom for 5 years till 2005. Liquid, as opposed to solid, extraction, IYGMD...

Same basic lifestyle as you point out and I had no problems..