Reload this Page >

Possibly moving to Doha

Possibly moving to Doha

Old Dec 5th 2004, 9:43 am
Just Joined

z-techie will become famous soon enoughz-techie will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Possibly moving to Doha

Hi,

I am a single male in his early 30s from North London who may be moving to Doha in the new year to take up an IT Management role. I am intrested to hear about expriences of any expats out there in Doha (are there any!!!) who are from a similiar background to me. I am particulaly interesed in any of the following questions/concerns I have:

1. As I have not negotiated my expat package as yet, any pitfulls I should consider when it comes to accomdation, transport, medical - others?

2. I occiassionally do like to go out to bars/night clubs and socilaise, although not to any real extreme. Therefore, does Doha cater for such.

3. In my job I will be working and indeed managing locals and well as expats from Indian, therefore, any feedback of anyone elses experiences would be great.

Any information what so ever you can provide me with would be great. As yet the jury is out and am undecided to pursue this job offer, and time is running out as I do want to leave the cold and misery of London - well at least for a few years.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 10:40 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly moving to Doha

Originally Posted by z-techie
Hi,

I am a single male in his early 30s from North London who may be moving to Doha in the new year to take up an IT Management role. I am intrested to hear about expriences of any expats out there in Doha (are there any!!!) who are from a similiar background to me. I am particulaly interesed in any of the following questions/concerns I have:

1. As I have not negotiated my expat package as yet, any pitfulls I should consider when it comes to accomdation, transport, medical - others?

2. I occiassionally do like to go out to bars/night clubs and socilaise, although not to any real extreme. Therefore, does Doha cater for such.

3. In my job I will be working and indeed managing locals and well as expats from Indian, therefore, any feedback of anyone elses experiences would be great.

Any information what so ever you can provide me with would be great. As yet the jury is out and am undecided to pursue this job offer, and time is running out as I do want to leave the cold and misery of London - well at least for a few years.
Hi Z... welcome to the forum...

As far as i know... the members here most of them living in the UAE apart of me and my family in Doha.

1. At the moment accommodation in Doha skyrocketing in prices. So make sure when u negotiate ur package cater for ur accommodation. I will guess u will live in the flat when u arrive here. 3 years ago when we just arrived in Doha 3 bedroom house in a compound cost abt 6.500 qatari riyal per month. And at the moment the same house cost 10.000 riyal.

2. We do have a bar in the hotel. In Doha they don't sell booze in the public restaurant... u can have a beer in the hotel. Altenatively you can buy a license to buy ur own booze for stocking up in ur house. The license will cost 1.000 riyal refundable when u leave the country.

I can't asnwer abt u job.

Alternatively u can go to expatwoman.com, go to middle east section, search for 'doha', and u can read more information.

Hope this help.