British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Is it possible to save money in AD? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/possible-save-money-ad-563340/)

outtatouch Sep 24th 2008 5:51 am

Is it possible to save money in AD?

New to AD - does anyone even save money here with the high costs?

busybee2 Sep 24th 2008 5:59 am

Re: Is it possible to save money in AD?

yes i would say people do if you have your accommodation covered in full or you have been here a while and are on the 'old' rents etc but nowadays a lot of people dont and they are up and leaving because they cannot afford to live, the cost of living alone has gone up 40% apparently and that before you need to factor in rent etc.

IndieG Sep 24th 2008 7:10 am

I think the people most affected by the high cost of living (at least in Dubai) in general are (a) those that have arrived here within the past 2-3 years (b) those whose salaries have not kept pace with real inflation, especially if they lived in expensive housing and didn't keep a rent buffer (c) those that were already spending 80% of their salary just to cover basic necessities.

Unfortunately we have a situation where people are taking loans/using credit cards/falling prey to loan sharks just to keep their heads above water.....and you are now hearing of a sharp increase in suicides e.g. the young couple and their 20 month old child who were found in the creek recently:(

lobby lou Sep 24th 2008 12:17 pm

thats so sad ....
but yes u can save ...we have a nice home (yes low rent)at mo...2 nice cars..a home in uk..and have still managed to buy a holiday home in 3 years of bein here..with a good quality of life .......both cars will be paid for by jan a pajero and a merc c200 kompressor......next maywill be different as rent may rocket ...but have an emergancy option there too so hopefully will be ok

IndieG Sep 24th 2008 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by lobby lou (Post 6815341)
......next maywill be different as rent may rocket ...

Apparently they are quite serious about freezing rents next year. Let's see what happens.

busybee2 Sep 24th 2008 12:24 pm

yes thats if you managed to find a place in ad that doesnt cost the earth.

lobby lou Sep 24th 2008 12:28 pm

thatwould be nice xxxxx

C350AMG Sep 24th 2008 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by outtatouch (Post 6814369)
New to AD - does anyone even save money here with the high costs?

I have been here for last 6 months and my wife came 1 month ago. We both work and we save 3000 pounds per month thats double of what we saved in UK. And we will need to continue to do that for next 30 years in order to save 3Million pounds for our pension funds (thats equivalent of 60k pound per year pension in todays money).