Reload this Page >

Possible move to UAE - some sensitive advice please

Wikiposts

Possible move to UAE - some sensitive advice please

Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Robbieh67 will become famous soon enough
Default Possible move to UAE - some sensitive advice please

I'm currently talking to someone about a possible move to UAE, outside Dubai. I'm very tempted even though it will mean leaving my partner behind for a couple of years. I have no experience of the UAE (apart from a five day visit to Dubai six years ago) or of living away from home.
My question is this - how big a deal would the fact that I am an 'out' gay man be, within the local community, and within the expat community. By 'out' I don't mean I'm a flag waving, protesting, all-I-ever-talk-about type but that I refuse to deny who I am and, more importantly, lie about my home set up or my partner. So, if you, or someone at work asked me if I was married, I wouldn't lie.
Would that be an issue?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to UAE - some sensitive advice please

Originally Posted by Robbieh67
I'm currently talking to someone about a possible move to UAE, outside Dubai. I'm very tempted even though it will mean leaving my partner behind for a couple of years. I have no experience of the UAE (apart from a five day visit to Dubai six years ago) or of living away from home.
My question is this - how big a deal would the fact that I am an 'out' gay man be, within the local community, and within the expat community. By 'out' I don't mean I'm a flag waving, protesting, all-I-ever-talk-about type but that I refuse to deny who I am and, more importantly, lie about my home set up or my partner. So, if you, or someone at work asked me if I was married, I wouldn't lie.
Would that be an issue?
Errrrr Yes..it is illegal to be gay here. Although there are gays here they keep it very quiet. A couple of gay friends of mine who live together keep some clothes and toiletries in the spare room to "show" that they only share an apartment NOT a bedroom.
Having said that I also know gay single guys here who have a great time..but declaring you are gay to work collegues etc..NO! xx
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

RubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant future

If you are going to be out of Dubai its probably going to be even tougher as its alot less liberal in the other Emirates and dont even think about Sharja.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:06 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubberMan
If you are going to be out of Dubai its probably going to be even tougher as its alot less liberal in the other Emirates and dont even think about Sharja.
basically, homosexuality is so taboo that *it doesn't even exist*... and if it did, it's illegal.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:26 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Errrrr Yes..it is illegal to be gay here. Although there are gays here they keep it very quiet. A couple of gay friends of mine who live together keep some clothes and toiletries in the spare room to "show" that they only share an apartment NOT a bedroom.
Having said that I also know gay single guys here who have a great time..but declaring you are gay to work collegues etc..NO! xx
pretty much what Patsy says is 100% spot on - in Dubai you'll be fine as long as reasonably under the radar. Outside of Dubai - where on earth are you considering? Sharjah - suburb of Riyadh effectively. Abu Dhabi?

You can, and many gay people do, have a top time here, but I'd say err on the side of caution with too much disclosure...
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
pretty much what Patsy says is 100% spot on - in Dubai you'll be fine as long as reasonably under the radar. Outside of Dubai - where on earth are you considering? Sharjah - suburb of Riyadh effectively. Abu Dhabi?

You can, and many gay people do, have a top time here, but I'd say err on the side of caution with too much disclosure...
Ta Auto I think I will send you some Karma, I seem to have loads of it, I keep forgetting to send it to people xxx
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:37 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbieh67
Would that be an issue?
Yes, Quite a big one depending on who you work for and where you work.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:38 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Read and understand:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_ri..._Arab_Emirates
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

don't even think about it.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 10:29 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy

Hey, Auto....

Did you consider he may be the 'bottom' half of the relationship????
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I know one western gay guy here; he keeps things low key, and so far so good. However, he works for a western company and there's a fair amount of tolerance. Not sure what it would be like if he worked for locals, or with them--might be different.

There are some outrageously camp gay filiipinos, who flaunt it in a couple of the filipino bars but I haven't seem them mincing down Electra St on a Friday afternoon.

So long as you don't shout it from the rooftops you should be ok.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I know one western gay guy; he keeps things low key, and so far so good.

There are some outrageously camp gay filiipinos, who flaunt it in a couple of the filipino bars but I haven't seem them mincing down Electra St on a Friday afternoon.

So long as you don't shout it from the rooftops you should be ok.
There's the thing though BB, he wants to be honest about his relationship, he wants to tell people that he has a male partner..we are just saying that it is a complete NO No for him to do that. Flying under the radar is fine but coming out is a recipe for disaster.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:45 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
There's the thing though BB, he wants to be honest about his relationship, he wants to tell people that he has a male partner..we are just saying that it is a complete NO No for him to do that. Flying under the radar is fine but coming out is a recipe for disaster.
Yep, fair comment. Just pointing out options for him... (and he should bring some clingfilm).
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:07 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Being gay in the UAE is completely fine as long as you follow these rules:
  • Don't tell anyone unless you can trust them completely.
  • Really avoid even hinting you are gay to any Muslims and/or Arabs.
  • Officially you are a single straight man working hard and perhaps looking to find a nice girl to marry one day.
  • Oh and if you're coming from the UK be prepared to adopt religion based on your ethnic identity and/or family name.
  • And don't tell anyone unless you can trust them...can't stress that enough. There's a number of localised expats here as well who are more than happy to use the local system to rat on their own - I've seen it happen with straight people reporting marital affairs in the past...charming.

So basically you're going to be living a lie to certain extent...

N.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:20 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
[*]Oh and if you're coming from the UK be prepared to adopt religion based on your ethnic identity and/or family name.
Don't agree with that: I always put a dash in the religion box--never any problem, and I've travelled extensively throughout the region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.