British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Possible move to Qatar from London (Is it worth it / money / cohabitation / TV) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/possible-move-qatar-london-worth-money-cohabitation-tv-831485/)

kevork1984 Apr 16th 2014 7:02 pm

Possible move to Qatar from London (Is it worth it / money / cohabitation / TV)

Hi All

I know that there has been significant discussion in varying different guises regarding the "is it worth it" question but I wanted to reiterate my situation where an offer is on the table because most discussions have been using QAR denominations and mine is just sterling. I would appreciate any thoughts in terms of cost of living etc.
My current status is I earn about £65k but of course I have high rent costs in central london and pay tax. The proposal is £72k plus housing allowance. I would only want to come over if realistically I could bank £2k a month to save for a deposit over a 2 year period. Something which I can never realistically do whilst living in central london.

Also, two other queries I was looking for some hope on. How strict is the cohabitation rule enforced? I currently live with my girlfriend and at the risk of sounding unromantic it may have to be a quick wedding if I do this move because I wouldn't want to leave her behind but it depends how strict the laws are?

Finally, I have heard about something called a slingbox which enables you to get british tv or sky or virginmedia over there, has anyone tried this and is it effective? And also, my girlfriend would like to know if Cadburys exists over there?!? lol

Thank you in advance for any comment or thoughts you can offer.

OriginalSunshine Apr 17th 2014 3:33 am

Re: Possible move to Qatar from London (Is it worth it / money / cohabitation / TV)

Use the Cost of Living sticky for the "is it worth it" questions. Please. But just two of you, for 72k, tax free? Yes, you can save, but you can also spend a lot of money.

Qatar is strict about co-habitation. You need to get married to get her a visa.

Slingbox - no idea. Internet in the region is rubbish though, so you need to find a way to download programs rather than stream them. And get a VPN sorted out before you arrive.

Cadburys, yes.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 17th 2014 6:30 am

Re: Possible move to Qatar from London (Is it worth it / money / cohabitation / TV)

Originally Posted by kevork1984 (Post 11222075)
Hi All

I know that there has been significant discussion in varying different guises regarding the "is it worth it" question but I wanted to reiterate my situation where an offer is on the table because most discussions have been using QAR denominations and mine is just sterling. I would appreciate any thoughts in terms of cost of living etc.
My current status is I earn about £65k but of course I have high rent costs in central london and pay tax. The proposal is £72k plus housing allowance. I would only want to come over if realistically I could bank £2k a month to save for a deposit over a 2 year period. Something which I can never realistically do whilst living in central london.

Also, two other queries I was looking for some hope on. How strict is the cohabitation rule enforced? I currently live with my girlfriend and at the risk of sounding unromantic it may have to be a quick wedding if I do this move because I wouldn't want to leave her behind but it depends how strict the laws are?

Finally, I have heard about something called a slingbox which enables you to get british tv or sky or virginmedia over there, has anyone tried this and is it effective? And also, my girlfriend would like to know if Cadburys exists over there?!? lol

Thank you in advance for any comment or thoughts you can offer.

OK

72k = roughly 36,000 QAR per month
Housing paid for
COSTS MONTHLY IN QAR:
Car = 3,000
Flights (3 each) = 1,750

= 31,250 QAR = £5,000 (give or take).

You can definitely live on 3,000 sterling a month in Doha. Save 2. Bobs your uncle.

Do it, but check the housing allowance.

britexpat76 Apr 17th 2014 7:55 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11222638)
Use the Cost of Living sticky for the "is it worth it" questions. Please. But just two of you, for 72k, tax free? Yes, you can save, but you can also spend a lot of money.

Qatar is strict about co-habitation. You need to get married to get her a visa.

Slingbox - no idea. Internet in the region is rubbish though, so you need to find a way to download programs rather than stream them. And get a VPN sorted out before you arrive.

Cadburys, yes.

Just to correct this for you:-

Don't worry about co-habitation here, plenty do it. You won't be able to sponsor your girlfriend but every 2 months have a weekend in Dubai and renew her visit Visa. She can independently find work here if she wishes and go under a company sponsorship.

I have 50mb internet at home and last night watched Masterchef, Some monkey program and the news - all streamed. A VPN is worth having though for certain channels or movie downloads.

You can got most things you get at home, it just costs 10xmore here and stocks run out quickly. Last week I saw creme eggs and bought 5 of them, next time I went they had all gone.

72k is a good wage here tax free and you will be fine. Get the Mrs working and its happy days

OriginalSunshine Apr 17th 2014 8:19 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11222846)
Don't worry about co-habitation here, plenty do it. You won't be able to sponsor your girlfriend but every 2 months have a weekend in Dubai and renew her visit Visa.

But this does depend on where you live, and if you get a multi entry/exit visa. That's not always the case.

britexpat76 Apr 17th 2014 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11222869)
But this does depend on where you live, and if you get a multi entry/exit visa. That's not always the case.

have you been here since 1982? No one cares here, its the same as Dubai. I lived with my girlfriend (Now the wife) in a government building and no one cared. You also don't need a multi entry exit visa, sure its handy but I am sure the OP is capable of getting an exit visa sorted out with notice. Most of my friends don't bother with multi exit and come and go easily*.

Edit:- *If he is a TCN and working as a labourer this may be different

kevork1984 Apr 18th 2014 11:31 am

Hi All

Thank you very much, that is really helpful information. When you google about living in Doha you generally just head the "bad news" stories.
Part of the package would be that I would have a multi exit Visa so that sounds like a positive as well.
Really helpful to hear that the cohabitation is not as strict as suggested elsewhere as well.

Thank you very much.

treetops Apr 19th 2014 5:50 pm

Ref. Slingbox information requested in the OP.

The Slingbox requires a "home" in the UK, is wired in to the system there (Sky, Virgin etc) and also to the broadband box there, and essentially anything that can be watched at "home" can also be watched anywhere else you have an Internet connection.

I have a Slingbox Solo at my place in the UK that was installed primarily for a friend relocating to Southern Europe. I also access it when travelling. It works fine but with my low level Sky setup and the basic Slingbox, it has restrictions.

Look on the Slingbox website for the different models and capabilities.

It needs good Internet speeds at both ends so depends on which of the previous posters is correct whether it's an option for you. Also of course the Internet speed wherever "home" for the box is.

co durham boy Apr 20th 2014 6:45 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11223318)
have you been here since 1982? No one cares here, its the same as Dubai. I lived with my girlfriend (Now the wife) in a government building and no one cared. You also don't need a multi entry exit visa, sure its handy but I am sure the OP is capable of getting an exit visa sorted out with notice. Most of my friends don't bother with multi exit and come and go easily*.

Edit:- *If he is a TCN and working as a labourer this may be different

Multi exit / entry is nice when you have it but its not the be all and end all . QP don't even issue to expats and i know guys at a very senior level who havent got one and dont care a jot .

As you say no one cares here , keep yourself to yourself and your business private and you'll do fine .

MaserMan Apr 20th 2014 7:40 am

I used to use slingbox but eventually discarded as it was costing about GBP 80 for the sky package and when I moved compound they provided an OSN package.

Get yourself a fibre connection, I currently have 100mb download speed which is very fast and you can watch or download all the programmes you need.

Good that you got a multi entry visa, I have never had one and it has never been a problem to get an exit visa, of course it is down to the company you work for.