Reload this Page >

Possible move to jeddah from London

Possible move to jeddah from London

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:29 am
Just Joined

bilg2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible move to jeddah from London

Hello everyone
I am new to this forum and I find this extremely useful for British expats .I just need your help with regards to my possible move to Jeddah from London. I am a construction management professional and I have been offered a job from a UK based company which has got joint venture with Saudi Company. I have got around ten years experience in my field.
The details of offered package are below.
1. Basis salary :SAR 42,000 per month (US $11,200)
2. Status: Married
3. Accommodation: 2 bedroom accommodation in compound in Jeddah (Compound name is not mentioned in Contract)
3. Yearly bonus
4. Transport: Shared Transportation to and from Work
5. Weekly hours 48 hrs per week ( 6 days)
6. Salary reviewed by company: every after 18 months
7. Gratuity scheme
8. Yearly flights for me & my wife
9. Medical/Life Insurance
10. 30 days holidays
11. Relocation allowance : SAR 2,500

What are your initial thoughts on the above.

Now the area of problem is they are not offering me Family status .I have got 2 children (one is 5 year and another 18 months).Company said that I have to sponsor my children.

I just want to ask how this offered Married status will affect my overall family if I accept it. I understand that I have to pay my son’s school fee which is around SAR 35,000 per annum in British schools.
Also please advise me how big is 2 bedroom accomodation in Saudi Arabia. In london,2 bedroom is very compacted (one double bed and i box room as some of you may know this london housing layout.
What other areas of concern which I should consider/re-think in this regard.
Your quick response is much appreciated in this .

Many thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to jeddah from London

Originally Posted by bilg2011
Hello everyone
I am new to this forum and I find this extremely useful for British expats .I just need your help with regards to my possible move to Jeddah from London. I am a construction management professional and I have been offered a job from a UK based company which has got joint venture with Saudi Company. I have got around ten years experience in my field.
The details of offered package are below.
1. Basis salary :SAR 42,000 per month (US $11,200)
2. Status: Married
3. Accommodation: 2 bedroom accommodation in compound in Jeddah (Compound name is not mentioned in Contract)
3. Yearly bonus
4. Transport: Shared Transportation to and from Work
5. Weekly hours 48 hrs per week ( 6 days)
6. Salary reviewed by company: every after 18 months
7. Gratuity scheme
8. Yearly flights for me & my wife
9. Medical/Life Insurance
10. 30 days holidays
11. Relocation allowance : SAR 2,500

What are your initial thoughts on the above.

Now the area of problem is they are not offering me Family status .I have got 2 children (one is 5 year and another 18 months).Company said that I have to sponsor my children.

I just want to ask how this offered Married status will affect my overall family if I accept it. I understand that I have to pay my son’s school fee which is around SAR 35,000 per annum in British schools.
Also please advise me how big is 2 bedroom accomodation in Saudi Arabia. In london,2 bedroom is very compacted (one double bed and i box room as some of you may know this london housing layout.
What other areas of concern which I should consider/re-think in this regard.
Your quick response is much appreciated in this .

Many thanks
Sounds like they're trying to get you on the cheap mate my advice is to push em for the family status
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's not a bad package IF you didn't have to pay the school fees, as that can be a big lump sum to shell out every month. My basic salary is lower than yours, but I have full education costs covered for a UK Boarding School so don't have to worry about that. THe company has also provided me with Family status, so they take care of all the residency permits, visa's, medical insurance etc.

AS CDB says, try to renegotiate the Family status.

In terms of 2 bed accommodation, it will be enough if there are just the two of you, the bedrooms tend to be big enough, but does very much depend on which compound you end up on, some are more generous with floor space than others.

Good Luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

desertmum is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say the relocation allowance is very low too. That wouldn't even cover my excess baggage fee when I first left UK.

I agree, push for family status and school fees are a must.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desertmum
I would say the relocation allowance is very low too. That wouldn't even cover my excess baggage fee when I first left UK.

I agree, push for family status and school fees are a must.
The relocation allowance is the last of his worries, as a Senior Construction guy coming to the Gulf he needs the married status.

Any firm that don't want to pay it are not worth working for especially if it's his first time working overseas , they'll be enough to worry about without the added pressures of the paperwork and cost of looking after his family.

If he doesn't get the married status then he should tell them to poke it , there's enough clowns around who'll take it , they're trying to get him on the cheap.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

bilg2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your all replies.I spoke to them but they still maintained Married status.Its seems that Nowadays it is difficult to get what you are asking.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

tryfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Get it man. find out new culture. just ask for a car so can spend nice weekend .. north beach or desert.

am new here so this was my first post .

am in Jeddah now, any help is welcome.

Good Luck,

Nadi