British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Possible move to Dubai. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/possible-move-dubai-833214/)

JaYo74 May 6th 2014 9:10 pm

Possible move to Dubai.

Hi All

Looking for some advice regarding the usual ubiquitous question - is the move possible?

I have a possible offer of a job which will be in the region of 35k aed a month. The salary is all in and more than the Joint salaries we are currently on in the UK, which is why I am tempted!

We are a family of 4, kids are 5 & 2 next month. Now looking at other posts around the web I would probably say no due to the school fees and accommodation costs but the curveball is that my wife is a teacher with 20 years experience of primary teaching. So, the question is would things be comfortable on the above salary with the other half working in a british international school and hopefully having the school fees paid by the school? Do the schools pay for dependants of employees in the UAE?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

J

Ignatius May 8th 2014 6:48 am

Re: Possible move to Dubai.

Hello J,

35,000 AED per month is very good indeed. It is an ideal salary if either you or your Wife's employer pay for schooling fees and health Insurance.

If your company can sort you out with accommodation or moving allowance (not sure if that exists anymore) then you will be good.

If you have savings or your company can give you a one off Cheque to help with the rent and then deduct from your salary you can get good rates for the rent.

Rent usually goes up in January. We live in Karama, the opposite side of where most British Expats stay and rent increased by 5,000 - 10,000 AED in some places in the last year.

The above is just from my experience and knowledge, if anyone else can help J out, please do.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss anything over the phone or email. Happy to help as I know how daunting the move can be.

Good luck to you and the family.

N

Bahtatboy May 8th 2014 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Ignatius (Post 11251473)
Hello J,

35,000 AED per month is very good indeed. It is an ideal salary if either you or your Wife's employer pay for schooling fees and health Insurance.

I'd question that. Accommodation, transport and school fees (plus the add-ons) for 2 kids would take a sizeable chunk out of that. Its not ideal if the breadwinner has to pay school fees, but it would be good if the breadwinner's employer paid the school fees, or if his wife worked (and, obviously, even better if his wife's employer paid).

Ignatius May 8th 2014 7:56 am

Question which part? The part where it said... if his wife's company were to pay for the kids school fee,, medical etc??? If that is paid for by any employer. The 35K should be justifiable.

Bahtatboy May 8th 2014 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Ignatius (Post 11251555)
Question which part? The part where it said... if his wife's company were to pay for the kids school fee,, medical etc??? If that is paid for by any employer. The 35K should be justifiable.

The part I referred to, where you said it would be ideal if he paid the school feels.

mrlowry May 8th 2014 5:53 pm

expect half for housing, and 50k year for schools.