Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Dhahran

Possible move to Dhahran

Old Sep 18th 2007, 4:18 am
expatmum2

Default Possible move to Dhahran

My husband has been offered a job in Dhahran and we are mulling it over. Could anyone please give us some idea of what living there would be like i.e cost of living, schools, housing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old Sep 18th 2007, 4:33 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Dhahran

Originally Posted by expatmum2 View Post
My husband has been offered a job in Dhahran and we are mulling it over. Could anyone please give us some idea of what living there would be like i.e cost of living, schools, housing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Where are you living currently? If the UK then I would go for it. You may be lucky enough to reside in Bahrain and commute to Dhahran but, if not, it's only the abaya wearing and no lady driving that may get you down. Everything else is fine.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 4:55 am
expatmum2

Currently in Dukan in Doha, Qatar.
Not driving wont bother me as the driving here is horrendous and I don't mind the Abaya as it will hide a multitude of sins !!!!!
Thanks

Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:21 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by expatmum2 View Post
Currently in Dukan in Doha, Qatar.
Not driving wont bother me as the driving here is horrendous and I don't mind the Abaya as it will hide a multitude of sins !!!!!
Thanks
Dhahran won't be much different then...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:21 am
expatmum2

Thanks Lion Heart.
Does anyone else have any views regarding housing and cost of living?

Thanks

Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:33 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Al I've heard that it is a lot cheaper than in Kuwait which is a bit cheaper than Dubai. I think that the main issue is housing cost which is probably covered by contract.

Good luck with the new job.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:54 am
expatmum2

Thanks

Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to behold

Dhahran/Al Khobar/Eastern Province is a hell of a lot better than Qatar!

Compound living in Saudi, whilst compound life doesnt appeal to all (I personally loathed those coffee mornings run by the soccer mom crowds) but the social aspect can be fantastic once you make friends. Its cheaper food shopping wise or it was nearly 3 years ago. We came to Qatar from Saudi and the hike in prices was noticeable.

Schools are ok, you have the Dhahran British Grammar School and American School that share a huge campus. Also there is BISAK, the british international school on the Al Bustan group of compounds. So if you get to live on that compound, your kids can ride their bikes to school, and there are so many kids on that group of compounds, that they will have a blast. (AL Bustan/Al Zara/Al Hada & Stemco are the 4 areas of that group, all linked by a road and enclosed in the same compound walls) There is a bowling alley, cinema, golf simulator, lots of sports groups i.e softball, football, rugby etc.

Used to be a cracking bar on Hada, called TJs (the Juniper) but I understand that was closed down......which sucks. But you are 45 mins to 2 hours across the causeway from Bahrain depending on the causeway traffic. Bacon n Beer, bliss

hope that helps