Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Possible job offer in Qatar

Possible job offer in Qatar

Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:30 am
Nova Scotia

aid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really nice
Default Possible job offer in Qatar

I have been approached by a recruitment agency about a job in the motor industry in Qatar can anyone advise me about life there and schools for my 11 year old daughter. Is it a nice place to live safe etc.Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:52 am

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible job offer in Qatar

Hi Aid, did you go through HCP? That's who I am coming out with on Wednesday to Dubai. what do you do?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:02 am
Nova Scotia

aid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really nice

Yes it is HCP its a Aftersales Managers role. How did you find the process i.e did it take long have you been out to see the place first. any problems?
Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear
Hi Aid, did you go through HCP? That's who I am coming out with on Wednesday to Dubai. what do you do?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:12 am

No, all good. The visa procedure was a pain in the proverbial though. I haven't actually been out there, but then, that didn't really bother me. It ha taken a while, I was offered the position back in October and it's taken till now to finally get there. I leave on Wednesday. I've known Ash, Raj's brother for a long time as I used to look after his M5 for him, so when I told them what I was looking for, they knew what would suit me.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

dont know why your Visa was a problem before even getting out here. Most people arrive in Dubai on a visit visa and then there residence permit is sorted out once they arrive.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aid1970
I have been approached by a recruitment agency about a job in the motor industry in Qatar can anyone advise me about life there and schools for my 11 year old daughter. Is it a nice place to live safe etc.Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Doha hasnt had a great write up on hear in the past.
suggest you do a search here on Doha !
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Doha hasnt had a great write up on hear in the past.
suggest you do a search here on Doha !
and look at the wiki, there's some info on the schools at least.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
dont know why your Visa was a problem before even getting out here. Most people arrive in Dubai on a visit visa and then there residence permit is sorted out once they arrive.
I had to get my work visa sorted out before I left and involved getting my Qualifications certified first by a solicitor, then the British Foreign office, then the UAE embassy. Because of the amount of paperwork I had, it's ended up costing me £360 before I even get there! It was all couriered over and instead of takin 3 weeks, took 6 weeks to process over in dubai because of various holidays. All done now, leaving in less the 30 hours now! Woo hoo!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure my opnion on this place is well enough documented.

Three pieces of advice from a very jaded expat.

1 Make sure the offer is high, Doha is still a huge sacrifice in quality of life for those used to a decent standard of living at home. Unless you wish to "go native", a comparable standard of living in food, entertainment (what there is of it) and accommodation will be costly.

2 Make sure you will be able to get daughter in a school before you proceed, as of this years in takes there were very long wait lists I am sure next year is already booking if not booked.

3 If one and two are in any doubt, don't bother, this place is an expensive half built sand pit with posh empty sports facilities. Bullshit levels can be utterly unbearable .. make sure its worth it. Dubai is one thing, Doha is another and dont let anyone convince you otherwise.

Without making any value judgements I would also urge you to think about the length of time you would think about staying here. If my parents moved me here as a teenager I would have been devastated and I certainly would not want mine to have those years here.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Mariah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Im sure my opnion on this place is well enough documented.

Three pieces of advice from a very jaded expat.

1 Make sure the offer is high, Doha is still a huge sacrifice in quality of life for those used to a decent standard of living at home. Unless you wish to "go native", a comparable standard of living in food, entertainment (what there is of it) and accommodation will be costly.

2 Make sure you will be able to get daughter in a school before you proceed, as of this years in takes there were very long wait lists I am sure next year is already booking if not booked.

3 If one and two are in any doubt, don't bother, this place is an expensive half built sand pit with posh empty sports facilities. Bullshit levels can be utterly unbearable .. make sure its worth it. Dubai is one thing, Doha is another and dont let anyone convince you otherwise.

Without making any value judgements I would also urge you to think about the length of time you would think about staying here. If my parents moved me here as a teenager I would have been devastated and I certainly would not want mine to have those years here.
(1) Yes, totally I agree. Here is not like England, no smell of academic, historical things, everything so primitive, it seems money is all

(2) I don't have any kids at the moment, so that I'm not sure about school matter in Doha. But I guess it's difficult to find proper school??? Oh, by the way, I'm going to open a private British style nursery at al dafna area soon, insha allah

(3) ahhha, yes, Doha is another... Don't expect here, life in Doha is totally different from our home country.

But I like Qatar somehow Doha is still desert, nothing! But things changed when I got Qatari friends. I enjoy partly British style life here and partly acting like Qatari I think "accept" is the key to live in a different culture. off course, there's not acceptable things for European people. it's up to you....
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

bigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nice

If you don't mind me asking - who is it you are going to be working for in Qatar? The reason I ask is that I have 2 friends whose husbands both worked in the motor trade there and both have had bad experiences with their employers.

Friend 1 - was promised a villa, medical insurance and school fees paid.

They got - dingy apartment, no medical insurance and they have to fork out for school fees and then claim them back and wait months to receive their money.

Friend 2 - again promised a villa and medical insurance.

They received basic medical cover and were given an allowance each month for a house (only QR 10,000) and were left to find their own accomodation and becuase of high housing costs had to add money every month to their housing allowance and still only got a grotty villa.

A lot of these employers and not just in the motor trade promise the earth to get you there and then will try every trick in the book to get out of paying for it.

Please make sure that they give you all they promise.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sarcasm aside, two of the biggest problems going on here at the moment are over setting expectations and not even keeping those reasonably set. The whole country seems to have little regard for any sort of contract law fullstop, be it employment or any other.

Recruiters go on about the lifestyle and cost of it available here and never the twain shall meet. Of course we'll find you a lovely villa for 11,000 Riyal .. Insha'allah .....

In all seriousness, I'd have a back up plan if you do decide to take the risk. There's something called the Doha shuffle goes on here and it can leave you up shit creek with no paddle so to speak.